Who uses 2 Pedalboards?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sinner, Sep 14, 2006.

1. sinner

sinner Member

Anybody using two pedalboards to do their dirty work? Looking for pics and ideas of some cool set-ups.

Why? Well, I'm kind of a devil-in-a-blue-dress type: I like the more traditional ODs, Boosts, basic Wah-on-the-board set-ups but also have a dark, evil side. I would like to have a second board reserved for way-out special effects like synthesizer sounds, ring-modulators, etc. With that crazy stuff on the other board, I could keep it out of the chain when I'm not in the sci-fi mood.

I had one of those Boss ME-50s once that did have some cool other-worldly sounds, but I didn't like the regular OD features. Would it be easier to just get a unit like that for the synth sounds and hook it up after my main board with a Loooper pedal?

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

I have two different boards, but there's the big one for the crazy stuff and then thee's the jam board. It's either one or the other depending on what's needed.

3. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i've got 2 boards.

1. guitar> whammy II(on bypass loop)> RMC3> Volume pedal (soon to be removed and replaced by fuzzzzzzz)> Banshee> Amp

2. FX Loop send> Line 6 MM4> Boss DD4> boomerang> FX return

board 2 is used for spacey weirdness and I can turn it on and off at will since it's in the loop. It keeps the traditional effects in the signal path, plus I only have to take the 1 board with me if I don't want to go to the dark side.

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I have two boards...

Right now, it tentatively goes (something) like this....

Guitar-> WOBO switching system (w/ strobostomp tuner out).

In the loop for effects:

TF Squeeze Factor-> AM Ross comp clone-> Boss HR-2-> Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser, Emma Discumbobulator-> 70s Thomas Organ Wah-> KR Doubler-> TF Hellbilly-> TF Hellbaby-> Crowther Hotcake Bluesberry-> E-H Deluxe Memory Man-> Boss RC-20 Loop Station w/ extra pedal for reverse & loop scrolling. Eventually there will be a WOBO unit that separates it into "effects" and "loop station" and can reverse the order ("effects"->"loop station" OR "loop station"->"effects"), has individual loops for many/most of the effects w/ programmable stomps, mixer patch bay for 2nd stereo outputs of pedals for my wet signal input. The switcher I already have has that input and one that will be for my (soon-to-be-electrified) melodica that has access to all of the effects as well. I can bypass the effects altogether if I want and it has stereo output for all four channels (guitar direct, melodica direct, effects loop only, and the stereo FX input, which is independent from the others and can be added/removed from output at any time). One output goes to Carmen Ghia and the other goes through a selectable loop with a Walco Chord & Note Sustainer and an E-H POG- this signal is sent to my Fender Champ II driving a Leslie 120 cabinet for Hammond organ sounds w/ the loop and guitar-> Leslie sounds without the loop.

I've also got a (big) DeArmond volume pedal lying around that needs fix it work and a couple on the way (TF Huckleberry & Guyatone VT-X Vintage Tremolo)...

I am planning on adding the following: the next version of Boomerang, E-H HOG, maybe a Gig-FX Mega Wah (stereo wah, volume, envelope filter)...

5. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

While I don't have thqt setup anymore, I used to have my main board with od's compression, volume pedal, chorus, reverb, etc. Then I had a second pedalboard with a Boss octave pedal (for the octaves down) and a Super shifter with a compressor and , a Boss octave pedal and the super shifter and expression pedal (for octaves up, etc) and an Analogman mini chorus set for a "fast Leslie" sound. This board ran in front of everything and could take me to outer space if I wanted it to. It could do a great Pat Metheny guitar synth type sound with a smooth od and the reverb and delay of the main board. Take the sound up 2 octaves with the Mini Chorus and wah and a heavier distortion (and and a DL-4 set to reverse delay blended with the dry tone) and, well. . .

I also had a dual setup with a gain stage/compressor/chorus/wah thing for the front of the amp, and clean boost, volume pedal, delay, verb, shimmery chorus (for the reverb) going into the fx loop.

Brett

6. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

7. Thepilot

Thepilot Member

i thought about doing this to conserve on pedalboard weight- doing all my front end stuff (OD, compression, wah) on one board then all my post stuff on antoher (mods, volume pedal, delay).

i just can't decide whether having two light boards is better than one heavy board.

8. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I am having Puma make me a board in the near future...one of my ideas is a modular top! meaning, simply have two tops for one base unit, a few screws or whatnot and instant board change. Not sure if I am going to, but kind a neat idea don't ya htink?

9. charlie miceli

charlie miceli Member

i use 2 different setups aby'd to 2 amps

volume (ernie ball) and wah (fulltone clyue deluxe) in front of all; then

fulltone soul bender, fulltone fd-2, fulltone choral flange, tc electronic scf, trex replica (delay) and strobo stomp in fender 65 twin re-issue

use Line 6 fbv short board and pod xt into power amp in on fender hot rod deville 2 12