Who uses a Digitech Harmony Man

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Krewmonkey, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Krewmonkey

Krewmonkey Member

I am looking to replace my Boss Pitch Shifter. I have seen a few YouTube videos and read one review at HC but would like to get some on hands info from you guys. It seems to do the job but what about how it effect your tone when ran thru the pedal. I loved the Boss DD-20 but it effected my tone by adding a kinda honking sound. Also, fill me in on the goods and bads. Thanks in advace guys.

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I test drove one at GC a few months ago when it first showed up. Pretty cool. I have heard guys say they didn't like what it did to their tone. Since I was not playing it thru my rig, I can't speak to that, but what it does, it does well, and is pretty intuitive. However, for me, it is a one trick pony, and I am unwilling to give up that much real estate on my board for it.

If I was in a band playing Almans or other tunes that featured harmonized guitars, it would be perfect for that.

3. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Can it do harmonies on chords? or can it do the POG organ thing? Or is it limited to single note runs?

4. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

when i tinkered with it, it couldnt do more than 2 notes at a time and harmonize them. after that it kinda gets this digital fluttering distortion thing. interesting effect, but if you want Polyphonic i think the only way to go still is with the POG

5. FireLine

FireLine Member

Yeah - it doesn't do full chords well. It will do ok on a root + octave or a root + fifth, but other than that I would not use it to shift chords. The only exception to this are the detune voicings which work great for chords. If you set both voices (you have two harmony voices that you can set independently) to d4 (wide detune) and play in a stacatto style, it sounds a lot like an organ.

But the HarmonyMan really shines for shifting single notes. IMO, it shifts single notes far better than any thing else out there. It'll track the fastest shredding you can throw at it. I'm not the fastest player in the world, but I saw a vid of a guy doing some really fast runs, and the HarmonyMan just nailed it (I can try to find it again if you want).

As far as tone goes, I don't find that it sucks my tone at all, but this is a very personal thing. I find if I keep my cables short, it works great. You won't really be able to tell when you try it at a store either since you need to hear it in the context of your own rig. Probably best to buy one at a store that has a 30 day return policy and try it out. Just remember to keep you cables short since long cables are the number one source of tone suckage.

Anyway, I give the HarmonyMan a thumbs up. It is a bit of a one trick pony, but when you start playing with it you'll realize there are a lot of different sounds you can get out of it. It is well worth its space on my board.

FL

6. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

i was wanting a harmonizer too but i can't find one that is polyphonic, i might just save up for a hog instead

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

So there's no expression pedal input?...too bad, might have been a cool whammy option.

8. peridot1

peridot1 Member

I have one. I go clean in and use the distortion send/return into my OD, then the output into my dirt. Sound real good and the tracking is great. Can't do chords though.

9. aziltz

aziltz Member

so this is the best option for those allman/skynyrd harmonized riffs and leads? i was thinking about adding a second chain split off from the front of my board with one of these so its 100% wet and it comes through a second amp. Thoughts?