Who uses a Marshall like it's a Fender?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soldano16, May 12, 2006.

1. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I bought my first Fender amp more than 30 years ago. I've never owned a Marshall until this week. Well Marshall style. It's a 36 watt TMB built from schematics at 18watt.com. I bought it used.

I'm not looking for crunch at all. I'm interested in the amp at low to medium volume. Right now I mostly use a stock 69 Vibrolux Reverb. This is new territory for me.

The amp is a 2X12 combo and sounds great at loud bedroom volume. The tones are rich and complex. The amp is very dynamic. Lots of nuance to the tone. Changes to volume have a big effect on tone. It's a very alive amp.

So I was wondering if there are other folks who play their Marshalls at "lower" volumes and never use them as most/many people do.

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I love Marshall cleans. With a strat or an LP you can dial in some pretty good funky cleans. What I like about Marshall cleans VS. Fendre cleans is that you have less ice pick treble with the marshall and more mids.:JAM

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I run my Marshall-esque Germino Club 40 very clean and crunch it up with pedals.

4. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

I use a JTM 45 , its basically Marshall take on a bassman, and it just sounds gorgeous. Pedals love this amp, and it can rock too.
    :)

5. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Member

I use my '69 Marshall JMP 50 combo like my '62 Fender Bassman head, i.e. treble and bass (as well as middle on the Marshall) on zero, presence depending on the guitar and type of Celestions in use, and volume on 10. It's not that clean though... ;)

6. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

This Reinhardt 18 watter I have has a very nice clean non master channel that sounds great at low volume...did I say really nice?

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I had the 36 watt version of that amp, and it was very nice. My current Reinhardt Jester is very Marshallesque as it's an EL 34 amp.

8. UconnJack

UconnJack Supporting Member

My experience may not be relevant to you situation, but I can tell you I recently picked up my first Marshall after playing amps in the Fender camp for years. I got an older JCM 800 50watter. The gain tones are very classic rock when using the hi sensitivity input. I am finding more rewarding tones when running the amp much cleaner through the low sensitivity input. In essence, it's set up like a clean amp, and i've been experimenting with getting all my gain using pedals. It's not what I'd expect from my previous perception of what a Marshall is "supposed" to be. But I will say the cleans are very nice and the amp takes to pedals much better when set-up this way.

9. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Yup, I run my JTM45 clone through a 2x10 cab and it sounds very Bassman-like. I usually don't crank the amp, but jump the channels and use a Blackstone for OD. It sings.

10. meterman

meterman Member

Does this sound good, and why would you set it that way? Just curious, each to his own of course but it seems like running all the tone controls on zero would squash the life out of the signal and give very little to the poweramp to work with....I understand about running the power section full out but don't you need to feed it a stronger preamp signal with more harmonic complexity? Just curious....

BTW I love the cleans from my 50w TopHat Emplexador in Vintage mode, really nice and richer than my old Super Reverb. Breaks up sweeter too, though much earlier...

11. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

:AOK That's the way.

= K

12. ROKY

ROKY Member

It works for him; just continue doing what works for you.
    As you said, to each, his own.

If you're curious, see if that works for you. If not, as you were.
    Seems simple enough, no ?:AOK

13. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

My favorite vintage Marshall tones tend to be the less gainy ones .... kinda like what The Outlaws and A.R.S. were getting out of theirs. Or what David Grissom gets these days.

14. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Member

I don't have clips of my '69 JMP 50 plexi combo yet, but quite a lot of my Bassman with Marshall cab and Tokai Love Rock with Gibson Shaw PAFs done with that setting. I listed them recently in a thread on the Tokai forum with a short description of the different gear used for each demo song:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=28073#28073

When I use my Boogie at home at bedroom level, I also have it dialed in the usual way, i.e. most knobs on 7 except for the bass and master volumes of course. The idea of cranking the volume of the Bassman at rehearsals while turning down treble and bass is to get great punch and dynamics from the power amp and boosted mids coming from the tone circuit of the preamp.

This also seems to work with the Marshall combo which is a bass model with G12H30 bass cone greenbacks. With volume on 10 the bright cap is out of the circuit, so it doesn't thin out the preamp signal. Furthermore the overall volume is at a level that I can actually sit beside the combo when plugging it into half of my Marshall cab with two G12M25 lead cone greenbacks without bleeding ears. I'm still testing at the moment which amp/speaker combination is the best for the band and the room where we rehearse.

By the way, generally I find that the amount of "life" in a guitar sound is very well controlled with the presence knob if an amp has one. So I set it to different levels depending on the actual guitar/amp and am/speaker combination.

15. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I use the quasi-Marshall side of my Rivera Chubster 40 quite a lot clean. It's a nice contrast to the quasi-Blackface sound on the other channel. Some instruments sound more dimensional on one side or the other.

16. aroman

aroman Member

17. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Senior Member

I have an '84 Marshall JCM800 single channel 50 watt 2X12 combo and for what I do I have to run it clean. It's not like you can get that classic dirt sound and clean it up with your volume knob. It just won't happen. Not if you want clean spanky funk tones.

It has that clean midrangy Hendrix vibe.

18. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

It's an interesting topic but not one i would expect out of someone having Soldano as his moniker.

19. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I thought Grissom was a BadCat guy these days....., no?

20. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I know he endorses the Wild Cat, but I've seen recent videos of him with marshalls and Line6!

Anyway, I was thinking of Storyville .... which isn't really 'these days', you're right. I don't know for a fact that he's using Marshalls in Storyville, but his sound to me sounds like a lightly driven Marshall.