Who uses a Matchless DC30/HC30/SC30 as their primary amp? What kind of music?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cg, Mar 21, 2015.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I have been incredibly impressed with the versatility of my HC30 over the last couple of months. With a couple of pedals, I am able to get most of what I need out of the amp. I have the HC30 reverb head, so I am able to channel switch between the two channels.

I have been using a Gain Changer, a Maxon TS808, Arc Klone and an Analogman Sunface. Guitars are a K-Line Truxton Tele, Grosh NOS Strat and an R7. I play lots of alt country/Americana, Indie, rock, etc. A really wonderful rig with the very best edge of breakup tones I have had out of any rig. I am pleasantly surprised at how punchy the bass is with the HC30. I guess didn't expect it.

2. Mejis

Mejis Member

+1 - I love my HC30. I use it for country and post rock up to high gain with pedals. It's definitely a versatile amp. I also agree that the bass is tighter and generally better than I expected from an El84 30-watter.

3. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Even in 1/2 power mode, the amp has incredible punch!

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I've also got an HC-30. One of the finest amps ever made, IMO. I've had mine for some time now and it never ceases to make my jaw drop!

I'm primarily a classic rock, hard rock, punk, and rockabilly player. Tones ranging from AC/DC, Social Distortion, The Cult, Rolling Stones, Zepplin, etc.... Probably not what most people think the HC-30 is geared for but, it nails these tones with it's own unique voice. Such an amazing amp.

5. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

HC30 here too. I do almost exclusively praise & worship, and it just brings the angels!

6. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

SC30 for, I don't know what you'd call it, 'rock?' It's a trio, original music. The amp never ceases to amaze me.