Who uses a pedal to boost their Boogie, and what pedal is it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by somedude, May 22, 2006.

1. somedude

somedude Member

Who uses a pedal to boost their Boogie, and what pedal is it?

I have a Boogie MkIII, and although I'm not a fan of using overdrive pedals I find I have need to at times. I've gone through a bunch of pedals and found that most don't really compliment the Boogie tone, which I figure is thanks to most of them being designed to push a Marshall.

I'm looking for two pedals.....one that compliments the Boogies dark, smooth overdrive, and another that pushes for more of Marshall type edge.

2. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I have an F-50 and a Rectoverb, and believe it or not I use OD pedals. My favorites are:
    1. KLON
    2. Full Drive II
    3. Analogman Beano Boost

All have pluses and minuses, but all allow me to get the saturation without blowing up my house.

3. A440

A440 Supporting Member

used to use a TS type pedal for boost into the lead channel for over the top stuff

also, used various pedals into the clean channel such as a rat and a vox valvetone. both worked nicely

4. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

F-30 Here. I use pedals primarily into the clean channel.

Keeley TS9DX Flexi 4x2
    Katana Boost
    Barber Direct Drive
    Soon AC Booster

5. LilSteve

LilSteve Member

X2 for the Katana Boost
    ...next on my list would be a Sex Drive

6. somedude

somedude Member

One thing I should add is that they need to sound good at stage volumes. I've had few that sounded good at low volumes, but turned into a mess when turned up....even after tweeking.

7. jops

jops Member

Been using a Hotcake the last few years. I initially bought it for a JCM800 and it sounded magic with it, but for the last couple of years I've been using it to boost my Maverick with really good results

I found that most boost pedals don't provide a lot of volume increase on the lead channel of a Mesa, just more saturation. The Hotcake does ok with a slight volume boost

I don't play with massively high levels of gain though, I let the Hotcake do the gain work on the lead channel of the Mav, which is set to a 'classic rock' level of gain.

Plus the added advantage is it sounds great as an od on the clean channel. Also the Hotcake is voiced 'bright' but have found that it helps with defintion on a dark sounding amp like a Mesa.

8. Guitarist

Guitarist Member

I use a GE-7 in the loop and a LovePedal Eternity in front of my Mk II.

9. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Time Machine into a Mk IV worked excellent.

10. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I use a Mark IIC+ and it's overdrive is just supreme, I have never found better for the roots rock and reggae stuff that I do (think Marley and Santana). However in small clubs it can be a bit hard to control the overall volume with making the amp sound choked.

After trying many pedals the pedal that comes about 90-95% to the Boogie itself is the Fulltone Fulldrive. Its a tad more compressed but much easier to control the overall volume.

11. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I use the Mark IIC+ and it's overdrive channel is just superb for the Bob Marley meets Santana material that I play. However the amp can be too much in small clubs and if the amp master gets down too low all the magic vanishes. If you want a sound sample go to my web and listen to some of the stuff off my CD "Wild Indians". www.garysmallband.com

After trying many pedals, the best one that comes closest to matching the Boogie is a Fulltone Fulldrive II. Its a touch more compressed, not quite as sensitive to my fingers but it is very volume friendly!!!

12. somedude

somedude Member

Hmmm. I've been debating between a Hot Cake and an FDII for awhile. I also occassionaly consider an OCD, but I don't think it'll do what I need.

13. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

No, an OCD will not.

14. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Have you checked out the Home Brew Power Screamer?

I use that and sometimes my TS9, run it through a Mark I. Either channel.

Wicked pedal.

15. radcliff

radcliff Member

Can't go wrong with an RC Booster...quality stuff from Xotic

16. billygoat

billygoat Member

I use a fulldrive 2 in compcut mode to boost my volume. I find I can whack the clean channel to get a ton of boost before it distorts. This is with my .50 cal +. I don't use the drive channel.

17. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Alot of players tend to think that a Boogie and a Fender should have the same settings. They are two different cats!!! What are you setting the amp at to begin with?

18. chicngizzard

chicngizzard Member

I use a HBE Powerscreamer with Fat Boost, Xotic BB Preamp, and a HBE UFO into a Mesa Lonestar Special. I especially recommend the Xotic BB preamp. It seems to maintain my guitar's sound and just pumps it up a bit without that "nasal" sound. It works great with other pedals as well. I think it's a good place to start.

19. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Also if you are not a fan of pedals, I believe Mesa can convert your Mk III to MK IIC+ specs. I have owned both and I think the overdrive channels are two different animals. I suggest you find someone with a IIC+ and see if you like it. I think the IIC+ is by far the better. Contact Mesa and see what they say about converting it.

20. HHB

HHB Member

I use a Maxon OD808 for the "boogie" tone and a Barber Direct Drive for my "marshall", both on for liquid sustain or metaloid chords