• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Who uses a Tech 21 TRI-A.C.?

CitizenCain

Looking for a quick and easy to use multi-amp pedal to run into the FX return of a Power Block. I don't need any effects, I have what I need on my pedal board. I just need a good pedal to generate some amp sounds. The TRI-A.C. seems to be just the unit.

Couple questions, does it take pedals into it well? I plan on running my wah, compressor, TS808 and OCD into the front, and my delay, chorus and vibe between the TRI-A.C. and the Power Block like they'd be in an FX loop.

Second, is this the same type of emulation that the GT2 uses? I have a TM10 amp that I could use to prototype this system and see if it works. The TM10 is basically a GT2 in amp form. Not as easily set up and switchable as the TRI-A.C. though.

Any input on this pedal greatly appreciated! :AOK

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Tri AC, but haven't used it much recently. I suspect it would sound great into the return of a Powerblock but I haven't tried it that way yet. I'll try it out that way soon and try to post back. I'll have to look at the way the PB effects return works as I haven't used that either and as I remember you need a special cable. I might just try it with an adapter into the CD input as that bypasses the preamp as well.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I'm a little surprised. I tried the TriAC into the return of the Powerblock (no special cable needed to do that), and expected it to sound pretty excellent. It wasn't bad at all, and perhaps with more tweaking I'd be happier with it, but it sounded too, um, "artificial". I have noticed that the TriAC is VERY flexible and has a wide range of control, so if I had taken some time on each sound to try to dial it in I might have liked it better, but in my brief test I ended up preferring just using the Powerblock by itself. In playing with it before, I think I came to the conclusion that the TriAC sounds best into a wide range system like a stereo or PA and that most guitar rigs are too colored for it to sound its best. I was running the PB output into a small pine cab with one Jensen Neo. If I get time soon I'm curious how it would sound to run the TriAC into the PB return then to a PA speaker. I'll try that next as well as tweaking the settings more and report back, hopefully in the near future. If you haven't already bought either a PB or TriAC and want a very portable, powerful modelling rig, I'd probably be looking at the Peavey Vypyrs. I don't know about reliablity, but they sound excellent. As I've stated in other posts, the PB by itself isn't the "ne plus ultra", but sounds extremely good for what it is - if you're using pedals anyway I'd probably just run it by itself.

peridot1

I've had one. Like Doc I thought it was close but a tad artificial. Went with the character series which was a little better but I wouldn't say by far or anything. Good idea from sansamp and would like to see another Tri AC model (version 2 or Quad AC?) with their character pedals and four save patches.

From what I remember the tri ac didn't take pedals into it very well for what I expected.

CitizenCain

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm surprised myself that the TRI-AC didn't cut it through the PB. A 1x12 with a nice speaker is my final output as well, either a Tonker or Celestion V12-80, both great sounding speakers. I do already have a PB so that was the impetus for the idea.

I'm really disappointed to hear about the Character pedals, as they were my next choice. I thought they would actually sound much better, but a little more limited flexibility.

I've read a lot of good about the sound of the Vypyrs, but the reliability factor is pretty poor right now. Maybe in a few software revs, but not now.

Thanks for you time, doc. If you do anything else with this, I'm interested in hearing about it!

peridot1

I'm really disappointed to hear about the Character pedals, as they were my next choice. I thought they would actually sound much better, but a little more limited flexibility.
Don't take my word for it. I've kept the character series except the Blonde (womanizer does this better). I only go direct so who knows? I just didn't think it was that much of an improvement, but I have managed to tweaked in some nice tones. Especially with the liverpool. These knobs alter the sound dramatically.

I think the TRI-AC is pretty competent going direct into a PA. I use it as a backup or if I'm too lazy to take an amp to practice, and it generally sounds quite good. I think the fender sounds sound a little artificial - it sounds like a pretty good imitation of one, but definitely an imitation. The Marshall sounds are very good and even feel pretty close, and the Mesa can sound good if you take the time to dial it in right.

I wouldn't really want to gig with it as my main setup, but for practices and smaller gigs it's great.

redpill

I'm not sure about the Power Block, because I've never used one of those, but I think the Character Series sounds extremely natural going direct. I'm guessing Tech 21 will indeed bow to pressure and offer some sort of combo pedal, but it will probably be pricey. They already have goofs like me in their customer base getting 4 foot switchable sounds by ponying up for 4 pedals. :) I actually prefer the individual pedals, because that allows me to bring as much or little as I may need to any given circumstance.

And I think they take pedals great. I'm really looking forward to using a Farndurk X and Modula 1 into them. Talk about a broad palette.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
I'm another who didn't care for the TRIAC. I found it to sound kind of flat on most settings going into a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12. Of course, I never could turn that amp up past 4 without being way too loud.

CitizenCain

Just as an FYI, I ran across a posting on another forum that might explain the less than expected results of the test doc performed. I've verified this by looking at the block diagram in the PB owner's manual. It seems that all inputs except the CD jacks get routed through the PB's builtin speaker emulation on their way out. The CD inputs enter the system after the speaker emulation so they leave unaltered. The people who use PBs to front-end modelers hook them into the amp via the CD inputs for the best results.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
It appears that further experimentation is in order. I'll see if I can track down the appropriate adaptors and post back later. I figured that a speaker emulation stage might be the problem, but was too lazy to figure it out. I just used my PB plus Neo cab setup for practice again this AM and was quite happy with it by itself, so for me I'm not feeling the need for any additional boxes - at a gig I'll be bringing a bigger rig usually, but I might want to try it out in case we play a really small venue sometime and need a versatile equivalent to a switching head.

Trending Topics