Who uses Hosa Patch cables?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eclipseall, Aug 10, 2008.

1. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Ive been trying with nio luck to find patch cables that save space as well as the Hosas. Cant find any.

I know the Hosas are considered the low end of the spectrum when it comes to patch cables, but they sound just as good as the expensive ones and have way way better functionality and look on my pedal board.

I do feel kind of weird for having all these expensive boutique pedals hooked up with cheap patch cables, but honestly I cant find anything better than the Hosas in terms of ergonomics. This is not a price issue, its a functionality (space saving and looks) issue.

Ive already tried planet waves (big, bulky). Gearge Ls have reliability issues that I cant get past. Lava Mini plugs seem interesting and would love to try those but don't know if they are better than the Hosas.

So if you use and believe in Hosas post your comments and pictures of your boards with them.

And if you don't like them state why that is.

Thanks

2. orange worker

orange worker Supporting Member

i have a few of the flat right angle ones and 1 or 2 of the boxy right angles. no issues. i can rearrange things and not have to worry about a connection like the george Ls i have.

3. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

i use a lot of hosas right now but i plan on upgrading eventually when/if i'm gigging professionally

but they are easily the most convenient and cheap option for a hobbyist in training (ie me)

4. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Member

I use some and they sound fine to me:hide

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

If you're looking for cables that save space and sound great you might consider soldering your own with Mogami cable and pancake ends-

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=412730

I have been doing this and have absolutely loved the results. sounds fuller than George L's and if you solder them right they are built like a tank. Super cheap too - like $4 a patch cable. It takes a couple hours to get the hang of it, but its not too bad after that. Well worth the effort.

6. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I use them. They've lasted 2x longer than my LiveWire patches from GC.

7. jb1911

jb1911 Member

They sound great to me.

[​IMG]

8. cber1517

cber1517 Member

I think LiveWire is made by Hosa. The last time I was in GC I looked at the packaging on both and saw it is the same company. I'm using the Monster Cable regular patch cable with no complaints. Sturdy and flexible. The Hosa ends kept coming loose every time I went to plug in pedals so I got annoyed with that quickly.

9. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

I use a bunch of the cheap molded plastic cables from HOSA and Radio Shack. They have worked fine for 8 years now.

10. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

They are fine, expecially for the affordable price.

They won't take a beating on stage like some, but very useful and decent sounding cables as long as they aren't plugged in and out and yanked around like crazy. For patching devices up and leaving them alone they are good. If you need to constantly patch and re-patch, get something sturdier.

I LOVE their various 8-ch studio snakes! Very useful products that work in a wide variety of situations.

:drink

11. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

been using the same ones for over 10 years.

like 'em a lot, especially in them ole tight spaces.

12. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

13. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

I've been using mine for a while now and have never had any issues. They sound and look great to me.

14. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I used to use the Hosa ones with the soldered connection ends and metal rectangular. I got so pissed off at those things coming partially out of my pedals. I'd switch on my amp and get ready to play and damn if there was a weak or no signal. So time to spend the next hour diagnosing problems.

I had the same problems with the Monster stuff. A lot of the issue is the cable thickness that doesn't allow the tight bends requried on a pedal board.

Hell with that. i ended up buying Peavey patches that look just like these in the photo. These things plug in and stay in. And you can get a better connection with a solderless connection than you can with a soldered one. Why? Because the solder contains stuff that isn't conductive, unless you use silver solder, which hardly anyone does.

These patches are cheap, too. 6 for $10 or sometimes $15. And they don't suck tone or pick up radio either.:AOK:AOK

15. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

Every single Hosa I've had has failed. I've never had a single problem with George L's.
    Folks, "problems with George L's" is not a "reliability issue." If you do not construct them correctly, it is an end user issue. I've never seen a George L plug or length of cable that was faulty from the factory (they'd replace it if it was, BTW.)

UncleLarry likes this.
  16. sense_of_henry

sense_of_henry Member

I use them. The are well made, cheap, sound good, and the "pancake" jacks are awesome. They are the ones I use.

17. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Bill Lawrence short plugs are the smallest I've found.

macmax77 likes this.
  18. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I use hosa cables and have no reliability issues, I cant comment on the sound, I have never a/b'ed them with anything else. I completely agree that you will not find much else the will fit and bend as easily as the Hosa's and I screw with my board a lot and have never had one fail.

19. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

+1

I've been converting many of the guitarists i play with.

macmax77 likes this.