Who uses straight Pedal to Pedal couplers?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by usc96, Jun 11, 2006.

1. usc96

usc96 Member

2. Wayne8

Wayne8 Member

I've never tried a straight one but I had an offset one once. The offsets are easier to use if the jacks aren't exactly the same height. Looked like it was made of brass. No moving parts, seems like it'd last forever, right? Thing quit on me.

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I am surprised that these couplers aren't 100% reliable and suitable for the job. I recall reading that owners find them problematic. At these prices, they would appear to be perfect for use on the board.

4. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Gold Supporting Member

As one who has replaced jacks in a lot of pedals, I'd think that any coupler that doesn't have flexible cable will place a lot of stress on the jack, particularly in pedals that have the jack soldered directly to the PCB. Pedals will always move a little when you stomp on them, and something has to give. A short patch lead is easier to replace than a jack.

Peter
    http://www.clinchfx.com

5. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Good idea in theory, doesn't work in practice.

Due to the way the pedal case castings are made, the sides of the boxes are not quite vertical - they taper towards the top. This means that the coupler - even with just two pedals - is under permanent bending stress, which often makes them break given that they aren't even that strongly made in the first place. If you have three or more pedals they will try to sit in a curve with the ones at the end off the ground... so you can imagine the stress this puts on the couplers and jacks if you force them back down again.

This even applies to the offset ones since the two plugs are still parallel to each other.

6. Wayne8

Wayne8 Member

Yeah, what Clinch and John said makes perfect sense. In my case, the coupler was probably fine but it just wasn't making contact for reasons stated above. And, think about it, if they worked, you'd see more people using them (especially the offset ones, as they allow you to place the pedals closer together than the straight ones). Anyway, I'd steer clear.

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Good feedback guys - makes perfect sense.
    Case closed.

8. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i tried the straight ones and the offset ones. the straight ones aren't very good IIMO because it's hard to line things up exactly and they create a very rigid physical connection. the offset ones are a little better because they can be used with more pedals and have some give. however, i still couldn't end up using them because many pedals have their jacks at different angles, and for these to work they have to be parallel. i always ended up with one pedal not sitting quite flat on the floor...

i also have heard people complain that they are not very reliable, but i haven't had problems with that myself.

9. usc96

usc96 Member

This is why this place is so great. Thanks for the insight.