Who wants to make a "Gear Page" Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by exodus, Feb 16, 2006.

1. exodus

exodus Member

I've been thinking--since we all sorta talk about the same thing, and we all sorta play the same pedals and even do "tour box" type things... it would be interesting if we threw ideas around and perhaps at some point made a "Gear Page" Pedal.

We could throw around ideas of what we really like about the "best of the best," in both sound, functionality and overall design. Perhaps along the line people with some circuit know-how could chip in and we could proto a circuit. It would be a nice little project for Gear Pager members, and if any were made, some proceeds could go to end of the year Gear Page funding.

So, to start it off, here is my ultimate GP pedal:

I'd like to make a pedal that takes some sonic aspects of my three favorite: the McFuzz Hot, the TIM and the Klon.

I like the eq section of the TIM and might even want a mid knob. I also like the basic drive that it gives. But I also like the fatness of the klon, and unlike others, the middy honk that really cuts for a lead tone. To add to that, I like the clean-up of the McFuzz and some of the balls and growl of a GE transistor. So, perhaps a pedal with a GE transistor and an IC chip in parallel or series... and a lead channel with a big fat klon-like lead. Hey I can dream, right?

2. bullet69

bullet69 Member

great idea i would buy one

3. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

Interesting idea. The hard part would be getting a decent number of people to agree on anything, then actually making a device that produces whatever tone they've agreed on. I'd be willing to do the graphics.

4. exodus

exodus Member

I figure that getting people to agree would be hard at first... but since we all seem, at least in a majority, to talk about the virtues of a certain small group of pedals and pedal builders, we could probably take a majority voice on this.

And thumbs up on adding to the graphics:AOK That's how this projects works!

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

For some reason, this statement reminds me of the old joke that the platypus was an animal designed by a committee. ;)

6. exodus

exodus Member

Perhaps:p Although, I feel like all we talk about is the TIM, timmy, klon, zendrive, eternity, cot50, BJF line, the best TS and the fuzz for people that don't like fuzz.

there has to be some consensus;)
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Don't you go knocking one of my National emblems now!

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Here's a pic of my wife holding one of your other national icons and another in front of an Australian landmark. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rewog

rewog Member

Very nice choice of features.
    A fat boost, good eq, and Germanium growl !!!!
    It covers everything I want in a pedal - I'll have one.
    Maybe we could get a builder (Bob McBroom ??) to build us an exclusive design pedal. I'm sure we could come up with a decent order from TGP members . :BEER

10. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

How about a 3 in one Captain coconut type of a pedal, We could call it "The Platypuss!!"

11. exodus

exodus Member

I down with that. We could fit 3 swtiches in a small Loooper type box with some good internal design.

Oh, and I think the pedal should run at 18 volts. For some reason every high voltage pedal I own sounds better.

12. trower

How about a fuzz/Boost/Distortion? or a Vibe/Chorus/Flanger or a Delay/Reverb/Echo or.......All in Glory'us 18 volts baby!...scuz me, I need to be alone now......

13. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

It's GOT to be an OD....

considering how much we talk about them, it's gotta be an od....

PLUS, it's gotta be tweakable so that we can make the flat EQ folks and the TS EQ folks happy...not just a Level and Gain knob...

Med Gain or High Gain with good roll off...

ANY in favor???

14. trower

Ok...but No Danelectro Type Stuff..

15. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

You guys Rock. I don't know if we could actually reproduce only parts of the circuits you refer to but I have been toying with the Idea of trying to cram a clean boost/low gain overdrive and a high gain overdrive into one box. Each independantly footswitchable. Use one, two or all three at a time (although i think noise is about all that would come out.) Right now I have my home made OD with a semi clean boost in the same box. If anyone wants to send me their Tim or Timmy for an analysis of the circuit though, I would be more than happy to have a look at it. (yeah right, like anyone is going to part with one of those.)

16. exodus

exodus Member

and each channel need in and out jacks. This way I can loop each channel.

I'm all for OD. Something with a clean boost, some GE tranny balls that IC can never do, and some klon mids for super cutting FAT tone.

socket the GE tranny so it can be swapped.
    socket the IC chip so it can be tweaked
    and have eq (a fat mids) knobs
    high voltage (18v)
    and put all jacks and power sockets at the top, not at the sides.

17. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

this pedal sounds like keeley's new 3 channel od.

:jo

18. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

:p Ok ok. I think I've got it. Lets just all get a big looper type box and stick all our favorite pedals in it. NO r&D. NO committe, no recreating circuits, Just rebox your favorites. I bet you could cram three or four in there. Then you just stick that in your bag with some cables and grab a guitar and amp. No pedal board. Just ignore me if this sounds crazy. The voices in my head don't let me talk much.

19. bluedean

bluedean Supporting Member

I like this idea. How about 'TGP Platypuss'?

20. exodus

exodus Member

From what I understand some of the workstation are modded Boss pedals. This is not what I'm talking about at all. I'm talking about a 100% original TGP design.