Who was the first guitarist to put a humbucker in a Strat?

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
Don't know about famous - but I have a friend Don who put a Humbucker in the Bridge position back in 1974. Everyone thought he was nuts - it was a really nice Stratocaster - he worked in a music store and it was the cream of the crop guitar.

Ab347

Silver Supporting Member
Saw a picture from the mid 70s of Robin Trower with a humbucker in the bridge position on a Stratocaster.

JPH118

Silver Supporting Member
Not a strat, but the Jeff Beck/Seymour Duncan Tele-Gib had humbuckers by 1974... so, people were experimenting by then, is all.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Vinnie Martel(sp?) Vanilla Fudge had 3 in IIRC. And Univox ran with the idea, early 70s.

Supposedly Kramer put the hb in the strat to compete with Sonic Smith's modded Rickenbacker.

Well Done

I'm pretty sure that it had been done quite a lot by the mid 70s. Who was the first? Well I guess that is a question for the gods to answer.

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
I believe it was me.
In 1951, I pulled a PAF out of one of my LPs and installed it in the bridge position of my (then) brand new Strat.

Remind me sometime to tell you how I invented water and fire.
Have a nice day!

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
So what humbucker was it? Was it from someone like Seymour Duncan or was it out of a Gibson guitar? I'm not sure how many pickup makers there were in 1974.
I don't remember for sure. Some kind of Dimarzio I think. It had a coil tap too

Matt Dillon

Holdsworth said he used to save the middle PAF’s from SG Customs
I think he’s playing a Strat with humbuckers with Tony Williams around 1975

kinmike

Gold Supporting Member
Randy Bachman from Guess Who put one in the neck position on Strat in the 60’s...

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
EBPrthL.jpg

wombat66

Do we know what year this was???

1973 according to wiki

"In 1972, Gilmour installed an XLR connector to eliminate the hum coming from his Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face; however, this was quickly removed. He also replaced the original tuners with Kluson tuners. In 1973, a Gibson PAF Humbucker was installed between the bridge and middle positions of the Strat..."

14167273642_30d9899fcc.jpg

jackson

Silver Supporting Member
Probably happened about 5 minutes after hum buckers were released. 1957?

Last edited:
Holdsworth had it done by luthier Dick Knight back in the early 1970s. I think he talked about it in an interview once about how he always thought it would sound good and he was not dissappointed.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom