Who will build this pickup for me?

kev

fire hydrant
Double Platinum Member
If those don't work out, perhaps @Zexcoil ?

Off-topic sorta, is your guitar one of the ones Freddy built based off of the real deal?

Rick Lee

The Donlis should be here any day now. I will throw one (I bought three) into the guitar right away and see if it sounds great in stock form. For $16 I don't think I can go wrong and the YT videos sound promising. I had a big gig last night and used my Sportscaster clone for the whole two hour set, through a '79 2203 full stack. I had to use an SD-1 to get the tone I wanted. During soundcheck I was using my EBMM Axis and it sounded soooo much better, didn't need an SD-1 to make it sound right. I'm just not a Bill Lawrence guy.

Anyway, if the Donlis doesn't cut it in stock format, assuming it's not encased in epoxy, I will send a second one to a pickup builder and have him rewind it to my specs to get closer to a Tone Zone or JB. This project will take a while, but my next Rush tribute gigs aren't until October.

bluegrif

I also suggest trying Pete Biltoff. He’s done wonderful custom work for me. Although most of what he does that I’m familiar with is vintage oriented. Still, he thinks outside the box and IME, if you can describe it he can build it.

Any chance they're four conductor wire?
Yeah, they come as:
  • black/bare shield soldered together - ground
  • red/white soldered together - coil junction
  • green - signal
I'm using the junction for autosplit, but I've not unpicked the red/white to confirm pairs, I'd guessed black/white is one coil, red/green the other, similar to Duncan?

Rick Lee

Well, it's fine with a practice amp at home. But with a big Marshall at band volume, I just feel like it's more of a single coil than double coil. It's almost like a single coil with no 60 cycle hum and just a tad fatter, but with a lot less body than a humbucker. Most of my other guitars have DiMarzio Tone Zone or SD JB-like humbuckers and that's just the sound I like and always go for. I don't like having to use pedals to make something sound the way I want it to sound.

bon ton

Silver Supporting Member
Try Nordstrand. He's almost certainly too busy for anything custom but you got nothing to loose.

bugzapper

Yes, L500L. I don't think it's a Wilde. Here's a clip from last night. I usually use the coil-split option on my other guitars for this song. But the BL sounded too thin, so I kept it in double coil mode for this.

Sounds pretty well right for DEW, IMO, especially in the high end.

I think of BL pickups as very defined (haven't had one since the 80s, however). I wonder what amp, etc. Alex used with his.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Well, it's fine with a practice amp at home. But with a big Marshall at band volume, I just feel like it's more of a single coil than double coil. It's almost like a single coil with no 60 cycle hum and just a tad fatter, but with a lot less body than a humbucker. Most of my other guitars have DiMarzio Tone Zone or SD JB-like humbuckers and that's just the sound I like and always go for. I don't like having to use pedals to make something sound the way I want it to sound.
Interesting. Sounds like a humbucker that I wouldn't mind trying.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom