Who will rehouse some Arion pedals for me?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Madsman, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Madsman

Madsman Member

Seriously... they're a little too expensive for me to experiment on, myself. I can NOT STAND these cheesy little knobs and pots... they're so fragile... I don't trust the jacks... I'd love to get the whole deal true bypass-able, because I already have the buffer situation sorted out the way I want it.

Basically, I'm hoping to get an SCH-1, SAD-1 and SFL-1 rehoused with better jacks, pots and switches, either all into one box, or seperate. Anyone here do this work professionally, or know anyone who does? Any links?

I know a couple people here have done this sort of thing... I wish I had Clay's knowledge, but I don't, and don't have the years to put into learning that stuff right now... up to my ears with teaching, rehearsing, etc (not to mention home renovation!)

I'd appreciate any help!

2. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

4. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

5. gulliver

gulliver Member

I think you'd be better off just upgrading to better quality pedals. Used pedals go for cheap on this forum, it's really the best place to look.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I could rehouse them for you.

Just send them to me, they'll be at my house. Voila...rehoused!

5F6-A likes this.
  7. erksin

erksin Member

Ryan won't do the Arion stuff - yet. He was going to buy one and 'experiment' on it before he takes on any customer jobs. I'll be having him rehouse my SAD-1 once he's comfortable working on them...

8. JPenn

JPenn Member

Have you used the Arion Chorus pedal? I have an old Series 10 Chorus which I believe is the same thing and it just has a fantastic Leslie wobble to it, much better than my Boss Chorus. :)

9. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

http://www.fxdoctor.com/

Madsman,
    You're right the housing isn't that great, but I really like the tone of the SCH-1. And, kept it around even after a switch was broken... I knew someone could repair and rehouse the unit...
    Look in the Archives. This guy did mine for me. My SCH-1 was the first one he did. Maybe he could convert yours as well. There is even a cool, wierd tone that I inadvertantly found while in the "broke mode" that I wanted left in tact. Josh did that, too. Good luck.

10. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

Alot of people have had VERY bad experiences with FXDoctor. He's been ripping people off for awhile now. Proceed with caution.

I'd recommend Colin @ Experimentalist Anonymous. He's done alot of rehousing work, especially with 'cheap' pedals.

Let me know how the SAD1 rehouse goes for you. It's a great pedal, and I'm always curious to see how people are using them.

11. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Really??!!! I had no idea that was happening... Sorry for the recommend, then...
    However, I did have decent service from this person. Email FX Doctor and find out what is up and if it is true that he is actually ripping people off. Don't know if it would help but.....
    Good luck.

12. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Landgraff rehoused my old Arion chorus years ago. It has never left my gig board. Best Police-type chorus to Leslie wobble-vibe I've heard. The pedal was cheap but the new box, true bypass, switch, jacks, labor will raise your investment significantly. It was worth it to me and has worked glitch-free for 6 years.

13. Madsman

Madsman Member

The SFL-1 is a cheap pedal. The SCH-1 is an annoying-to-track-down pedal that is not going for cheap anymore. The SAD-1 is becoming the same thing.

My thought is that a single box for the SCH-1 could make that pedal more or less "safe" for my board for a long time, and then a single box containing both the SFL-1 and SAD-1 would be a good space saver for running these pedals in a delay pedal effects loop. SAD-1 is IMO the best CHEAP analog delay, and the SFL is just a pedal I have. The SCH-1 is one of the coolest messed up chorus pedals there is. But these are pedals I don't want to have to purchase a second time.

Loopers are great, but they don' solve the fact that the knobs on these pedals come off all the time, and the shafts they attach to are plastic... the jacks are junk, and there are size concerns for pedalboard use, when using 3 big plastic bricks along with a looper box.

If it's REALLY expensive, I'm not going to do it, but if it's affordable, it's pretty much a done deal.

14. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Hey guy... that ain't cool calling Josh a rip-off... especially from what you "heard". I personally have dealt with Josh 6 times and have the UTMOST respect for him and his work. He answers his e-mail and his phone. I highly recommend Josh FX Doctor to everyone.

OTH... I have e-mailed Colin twice and gotten no response. Not gonna say anything personal about it, maybe he's too busy... who knows. But this is MY experience.

Peace
    GG

15. Madsman

Madsman Member

It may be cheaper to sell the SAD-1 and SFL-1 and just buy MXR sized TB pedals for those ones. But the SCH-1 is just something that must be done, IMO.

16. studio8000

studio8000 Member

John Landgraff rehoused 2 of my Arion SCH-1's, big tough box with custom paint job, true bypass, beefed up some of the connections, etc. i love em. i guess it is kind of pricey, but i never have to worry about them crapping out on me in the middle of a gig anymore. they even sound better for some reason. and they definitely look cooler IMO.
    [​IMG]

17. erksin

erksin Member

Was it necessary for him to put them in larger boxes dues to changes in the layout, or did you just want them in that size box? I need my SAD-1 rehoused, but not if it will only fit in the bigger box - my board is cramped enough as it is...

18. Madsman

Madsman Member

The pedal's guts are too big to fit in an MXR sized enclosure, by the look of them. There may be a way to cut it down in size a bit, but it'd certainly be more cost effective to just do it in the larger enclosure.

How do I get in contact with John? I've sent e-mail to everyone else who was mentioned. Can you PM me an idea of what one of yours cost? Not to try and get a deal from JL, but because price may impact which service I use.

I absolutely need to learn to do this stuff myself.

19. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Whoops - didn't know that. Sorry for the misinfo. :eek:

20. studio8000

studio8000 Member

the bigger box is necessary cuz of the size of the board in the SCH-1. it wont fit in the mxr sized box as someone already mentioned above. in fact, the board is actually a bit longer than the box that Landgraff used... so the circuit board is at a slight angle inside and supported so it wont budge.