Who Winds a mid 60's PAT Pickup?

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
I'm still on the hunt for some SG pickups. The BKP Stormy Mondays I have are not bad at all, but being relatively new to SG's, I still have some experimenting to do. I'm looking for something that nails that 62-65 Gibson humbucker. Budget is in the $200-250 range.
  • Short A5 magnets
  • Poly Wire
  • ~7.5k

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
What 27sauce said. PAF's gone in 62, pat #'s came out in late 62, early 63. Be advised that early Patent # pickups are the same as PAF's, but that ended fairly soon after they were introduced.

I have no idea why Gibson kept messing with pickup winds, but they did.

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
Mojotone
Zhangbucker

Wolfetone might be above your budget, but you pay what you get for.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
What 27sauce said. PAF's gone in 62, pat #'s came out in late 62, early 63. Be advised that early Patent # pickups are the same as PAF's, but that ended fairly soon after they were introduced.

I have no idea why Gibson kept messing with pickup winds, but they did.

It's possible they thought they were evolving with the market, giving it when they thought it wanted to expand sales.

27sauce

It's possible they thought they were evolving with the market, giving it when they thought it wanted to expand sales.

If they were, they never bothered to tell anyone! Most of the changes/specs were discovered years later.

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
Haven't tried these, but I have a set of Fat Diane's which are fantastic. Can't beat his stuff for the price. The Fat Diane's stack up to all the other boutique winds I've owned and tried.

I've had some of mick's landmarks before. I may just work through him I order exactly what I want. Always a nice support a good guy like him too

JLee

James at Re-Wind could probably whip something up rather quickly.
I actually have an older set of Rewind Low Wind Pickups with A2s in a SG. Going to switch out the bridge magnet to a Throbak short A5 to kind of cop PAT # tones. His pickups are more than $250 though.

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
Curve ball - I have an SG in the mail, so I'm getting my fix virtually and I stumbled on a John Mayer clip of him playing a '61 (since when does JM play an SG). I'm assuming its original, because well, he can afford it. Would a '61 still be a short A5 mag, but enamel wire? And yeah, its being run through a hell of a lot more expensive rig than I could ever dream of, so that's not hurting - but that's a damn fine sounding SG

Also could be a re-issue with 57's

Last edited:

Axis29

I'll put in another vote for Zhangbucker. Send him an email and tell him what you are looking for. He did me right on a s et of pickups for my LP.

vortexxxx

There are a number of variations between pre T top pickup specs. Most noticeably the wire. The early ones had the purple wire that was used on the PAFs, but they eventually switched to a different orange wire.

Here a purple one I used to have. I actually didn't care much for the sound. I thought the PAFs that I had sounded better.

Although I wrote 1962, it may have been a 1963.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom