• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Who would be on your mount rushmore as the 4 most influential bands/artists of the 1960s?

Frater B

Gold Supporting Member
the Beatles
smokey robinson and the miracles
the Rolling Stones
Diana Ross and the Supremes

DGDGBD

If I don't count elvis or chuck berry as 60s artists since they broke into their fame in the 50s...

Beatles
Bob Dylan
James Brown
Jimi Hendrix

Beach Boys would be #5.

I R P

The Kingsmen, The Kinks, The Velvet Underground, Funkadelic.

I'm just gonna skip hendrix, beatles & stones cause hendrix beatles stones are like the top 3 artists on TGP.
Funkadelic was not a 60’s band.

Also, I think the top 3 artists on TGP are more like Van Halen, AC/DC, and Led Zep, probably followed by Kiss, Rush, and Metallica.

Funkadelic was not a 60’s band.

Also, I think the top 3 artists on TGP are more like Van Halen, AC/DC, and Led Zep, probably followed by Kiss, Rush, and Metallica.
I must have ignored a lot of VH, AC/DC, Led Zep, Kiss, Rush and Metallica fans :rotflmao

As far as funkadelic's influence, I think their 1969 performance on Say Brother had a bit of a Beatles on Sullivan type effect in the psychedelic soul world. Sure they didn't put out an LP till 1970 but they did bridge the psychedelia and soul worlds by touring in the late 1960s.

metropolis74

He was doing all of his movies in the '60s, I'm not old enough to have experienced it first hand, but my reasoning is:

• He had just finished his military service in 1960 and so America, and/or the world was ready pumped for more Elvis.
  • He was doing like all of his movies in the '60s and was in your face non-stop, in some fashion.
  • He had soundtracks for like 15 of these movies, some went Plat/Gold, one went triple Plat.
  • The '68 Comeback Special on its own was insanely influential.
  • He dropped 2 compilation albums that were well received.

I just think he was already stupidly popular, served in the military, and then came back with a vengeance and like owned the '60s, both musically and on-screen.

But again, I wasn't there, I'm 33, I have no idea how it really was. This is just my perception.
Owned the 60's??? Interesting perception. I have a completely different one.

Have you even seen any Elvis movies from the 60's? Elvis was a joke in the 60's. A parody. His influence on musicians ended after his stint in the army and Colonel Tom Parker steered is career into cheesy movies.

Sure Elvis was still popular with the general public, but no musician or band that I'm aware of ever said they were influenced by Elvis lip syncing and miming playing guitar. My perception is his music was terribly out of date and square compared to what else was going on throughout the 60's.

Last edited:

metropolis74

I must have ignored a lot of VH, AC/DC, Led Zep, Kiss, Rush and Metallica fans :rotflmao

As far as funkadelic's influence, I think their 1969 performance on Say Brother had a bit of a Beatles on Sullivan type effect in the psychedelic soul world. Sure they didn't put out an LP till 1970 but they did bridge the psychedelia and soul worlds by touring in the late 1960s.

Cool! Now we can open up 60's Mount Rushmore to Black Sabbath! They formed in 1968 but didn't put out on LP till 1970.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom