Who would choose bog standard Dunlop Crybaby wah over a boutique wah ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BryanMatthews, Feb 22, 2012.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

Im thinking of buying myself a crybaby wah, just the standard one. Ive owned quite a few wahs , including bad horsie 1 , bad horsie 2, vox wah and others that I just simply cant remember. Sold the lot of them over time, always something that just pissed me off with every one of them.

Thinking of just picking up the stock crybaby, no modelling , contour settings .......select this that and the other settings, stomp the pedal on and stomp the pedal off, thats what I want.

Who would choose a bog standard crybaby in preference to a boutique wah ?

2. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

If I was playing a lot of Schenker-type stuff I'd definitely choose a stock Crybaby. I play a LITTLE bit of Schenker so I have a Crybaby From Hell for that ;)

I hated the CB for a while but ive come to realize that it's great for certain stuff.

3. QQQ

QQQ Member

Stock crybaby is a really great wah, especially when you factor in the price. I personally prefer the versatility of my Clyde DLX.

4. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I agree on both counts.

5. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

for me y`see all the options and versatility is a bad thing, im very much in the mould of i stomp on it and it works, no time nor inclination to treat a pedal like a boogie mark amp and always twiddling knobs and settings.

6. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

7. windwalke9649

windwalke9649 Member

I build pedals, mod them, buy them and sell them. There arent many constants on my board but 2; my TS9 w/808 circuit, and a Dunlop 535Q I've had since the 90's. Ive used EVERY wah out there; a lot of them have their stellar qualities, but as an all around great, versitile and useable wah; the 535Q is awesome; its got a fasel inductor for that more vintage sound, true bypass, you can adjust the Mid sweep, and how the sweep range starts/stops. When i put on a Les Paul, i turn the right 5 or 6 way knob to #1 or 2, roll back the "Q" to about half, and go. On a strat, i put it to #3, adjust the Q, and im off and running.
    Side note; i power this with a Voodoo Labs PP2, and have it on one of the SAG outputs set for somewhere around 7V, and it has the smoothest sweep compared to when i run it at 9V (can also run at 18V, which i suspect aids the build in boost, which i never really use).

8. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

I think the Crybaby Classic is true bypass, better to get that one.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

And then send it to Don Butler for some mods.

10. Yunpac

Yunpac Member

I got a bog std crybaby!

70's Jen Crybaby Super! w/ white Fasel Inductor! Stock!

11. JRBain

JRBain Member

It sounds OK, but the bypass is unforgiveable.

12. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Whenever I find myself in a position where I want to play a wah that I just plain don't like nearly as much as my Fulltone Clyde, then I pick a standard Dunlop Crybaby. Every time, no question about it.

:sarcasm

13. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I have the Crybaby Classic, and I don't think it needs any mods. Sounds good out of the box to me?

14. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

who has compared a crybaby classic and standard ?

on YT gearmanndude demo they both sound the same :huh

15. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I'm selling a Bud-Wah, because I replaced it with a standard Crybaby.

16. reddog112

reddog112 Member

I have a Crybaby Classic on one board, but my main is the Teese Pic ...different tones, both good!

17. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

It can be hit or miss with a stock Crybaby, some are great with a great sweep, others not, for me it's a consistency issue. The benefit of a hand-builder is the selection of components, I made a trade for a 2007 Area 51 base wah and immediately dropped a Vox 847 that I had played for years after 20 minutes of playing time. I loved that Vox but I hadn't encountered a wah like the Area 51 before, it was so much better.

I will say, for $70 or so bucks, a Crybaby (or Vox 847) is a great deal and always delivers some of what one would expect.

18. dascher

dascher Member

This thread is helping me justify purchasing a RMC4 Pic so much :rotflmao

19. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

My friend has an Area 51. I can tweak the heck out of it when I mess around with it and I somehow end up on the setting that's almost identical to my bone-stock, no frills Vox Wah.

Funny how it works sometimes.

20. brian6string

brian6string Member

Yep, I sold my Budda Wah a year ago and replaced with my true-bypass modded 1980's CryBaby. I like the Budda but it was a little too harsh for my taste.