Who would have guesses (Boss MT-2 Metal Zone content)

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by NoiseNinja, Aug 9, 2019.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

So I used a Behringer GDI21 (Tech 21 GT2 clone) for my high gain distortion in the California setting, with some cleans blended in at about a 50/50 mix ratio from my Boss LS-2, and it was pretty good and gave me a usable high gain tone for my bass, but I then decided to try out my Boss MT-2 Metal Zone anyway, and actually got a pretty good distortion tone with the Drive knob all the way down, the High knob at about 11 o'clock and the Low knob at about 10,5 o'clock, Mid Freq at about 9 o'clock and Mids at about 2 o'clock.

Not sure if it was actually better than what the Behringer gave me, but it was usable as well, a bit more griddy and lower gain compared to the more fuzzy sound of the GDI21 in the California settings, which was a bit of a surprise coming from a Metal Zone, but apparently how it sounds with the gain all the way down, at higher Drive settings the usual Metal Zone fizzy high frequency buzz started to kick in badly though.

But then by accident I switched on the Joyo Orange Juice in front of it, which was set with it's traditional Tone knob at about 1,5 o'clock cutting the lows slightly, the Voice knob set to boost the upper mid frequencies around the 800Hz area to about 3 o'clock, and the Drive set to about 9 o'clock, used for a grinding clanky sort of lower medium gain overdrive, and the result of it boosting the Metal Zone was just about perfect.

Actually a quite defined high gain distortion tone, with kind of a griddy and slightly crunchy character that you normally wouldn't be able to get from a Metal Zone alone, and also without any of the Metal Zone's usual really fizzy and buzzy highs, mostly distorting the upper mids of my signal, for my mixed in clean bass signals lows to come through nicely, but without the distortion for that reason sounding thin or like laying on top of the clean signal, on the contrary it sounded quite punchy, even ballsy, and the distorted and clean signal seemed to mix perfectly without any mud or too much high frequency fizz.

Definitely pleasantly surprised by the outcome of this experiment.

Really liked how it sounded with the mixed in clean signal from my bass, and I think my high gain distortion search for my bass might be over.

This sounds nothing like my distortion tone, and no cleans blended in either, but this guy actually manage to get a really nice distortion tone out of his Metal Zone used with bass as well:

All in all the Metal Zone is not at all as bad a pedal as it's general reputation has it, it's just extremely easy to get to sound really bad due to it's very powerful and touchy EQ section, where even small adjustments makes a relatively big impact on the distorted tone that comes out of it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    JosephZdyrski likes this.
  2. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

The Metal Zone is such an underrated pedal as is it’s cheaper very distant *relative(*in a sense) the DOD BoneShaker.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  3. tonk

tonk Member

The MT-2 is just one of those pedals that is overrated and underrated at the same time. With a clean blend its baller, and I know a lot of guys who use it as a cleaner boost or just for the parametric eq (which is excellent). Always cool to hear people (re)discovering this classic!

NoiseNinja likes this.
  4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Indeed, and after discovering just how dead my strings were and therefor changing them I have even dropped the Joyo Orange Juice in front of my Metal Zone now, as it kind of boosted the treble and high mids slightly as they turned the distortion into a biting clank and hissing fizz fest, and after re-adjusting my Metal Zone I was able to get an even better sounding high gain distortion tone out of it, still blending it with some cleans.

To my surprise I actually had to cut some mids on the Metal Zone slightly to get the distortion to sit perfectly, I assume high mids as the Mid Freq knob is set about 10 o'clock, with the Mid knob turned down to about 11 o'clock, the High knob still at about 11 o'clock, but the Low knob actually boosted slightly to just above noon, and finally I turned up the Drive knob ever so slightly as well, from it's former minimum position, just to make the distortion slightly smoother sounding with a bit more sustain as well, now that the Joyo Orange Juice was not in front of it anymore to boost it.

This has truly made me realize just how great the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone really does work as a high gain distortion for bass, even all by it self, just with a bit of cleans blended in.

As I already mentioned in the OP I guess so many people, including myself, wrote it off a crappy pedal, simply because adjusting the EQ just right in the specific context you are using it means everything to get a useful tone out of it, and I dare say more so than any other dirt pedal I have knowledge of, and that the EQ therefor is extremely flexible, but also really powerful and touchy, meaning it is way easier to get the pedal to sound like crap than getting it to sound as great as it it actually capable of if you give it the patience it requires to set right and got a little knowledge about how EQ'ing works in general.