Who would make a Les Paul/McCarty hybrid neck?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Paul86, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Hello everyone.
    I've been thinking about modifying my Studio LP. I recently played a friend's McCarty and totally liked its neck. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a new neck made (it's broken now) to McCarty's specs (wide/fat, the longer heel, etc), but still looking like a Les Paul's neck?
    Any ideas/suggestions?
    Thank you.

2. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

warmoth.com could proly do that for ya, just give them a call

3. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Hello there sovtekking,
    Do they make glued in necks too? Long-tenon, short-tenon?
    Have you tried any of their stuff?
    Thanks

4. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

They don't make glued in necks, especially ones that would fit the Les Paul tenon joint. But if you are really bonded to that LP body maybe a custom luthier might build you a McCarty/Les Paul hybrid neck to your specs, though it may cost as much as buying a new guitar.

5. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Yeah, I was afraid someone was going to say just that. My wife just this morning told me to 'just throw it away', can you believe that? Hello, PlexiBreath, you're right, I am bonded to this specific guitar. Anyways, who would you recommend?

6. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I don't know, maybe Jason Lollar. Most other luthiers I know of are more Fender style. But I know Lollar makes set neck SG type guitars, maybe he'd do it.

7. lbw

lbw Member

Just buy a PRS Singlecut. You'll never look back :p

8. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Hy lbw,
    What do you like in your Singlecut? How would you describe the differences in tone, playability, build, etc?

9. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    My only suggestion is if you've bonded to the LP, look for a competent luthier who can repair the neck. I've seen pics of broken necks that looked like firewood to me that luthiers repaired amazingly well.

Then look for another guitar that has a neck with the McCarty profile. Heck, McCarty's with moons are selling very reasonably these days:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PRS-McCarty-Moons-Can-You-Have-it-For-499-Could-Be_W0QQitemZ7420136369