Who would take a Collings I35LC over a '65 or later 335?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by deech54, Feb 2, 2016.

1. The bear

The bear Member

This I-35lc is arriving on Thursday:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TA22GT, 57gold, rowdyyates and 8 others like this.
  2. uburoibob

uburoibob Yanuziello Guitar Enthusiast Supporting Member

No difference in quality. The I-35 LC is a laminated wood guitar, built like the 335s. The I-35 is a solid wood guitar. They have very different sounds. The I-35 LC was designed to appeal to people who want a 335 sound and it does that perfectly - like the best 335 you ever heard. The I-35 is designed to have its own sound. Both are top shelf in terms of quality. I don't know another guitar manufacturer that approaches Collings' quality on every guitar they make.

Bob

The bear likes this.
  3. floatingjimi

floatingjimi Supporting Member

Austin, Tx - Redington Shores, FL - Ross on Wye, U
    Soco does the 335 sound better for me over the i35, it is subtle but is there. If I want a vintage tone then all mahogany i35 with Throbaks or a Soco with Eastern maple top and Dog Ear P90s or throbaks.

4. telecrazy

telecrazy Supporting Member

I`d love to try a Soco LC or I-35 LC one day. My standard carved top I-35 sounds very different to my old ES. Hard to put into words, but I think it sounds darker, more punchy and not so "airy" as the ES. Wonder if the LC version captures that "airy" quality of the old ES?

5. duhziner

duhziner Supporting Member

I've decided that I'm gonna keep my '68 ES-335....AND I'm gonna buy a Collings also

uburoibob, JVJ, RCCola and 1 other person like this.
  6. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Having owned several of both - and really liking both - I would opt for the 60's 335.

RCCola likes this.
  7. duhziner

duhziner Supporting Member

Well. I just took the plunge. Got a great deal on a new I35LC in tobacco burst with Throbaks from Fuller's guitars in Texas. Still have my ES-335 up for sale, but if it's completely different, I just might keep both.

voodoochili12 and Peanut73 like this.
  8. gearlovin

gearlovin Supporting Member

Also took the plunge on a sunburst one
    Always bought custom shop 335 and resell them. Hope this one stay home :)

9. voodoochili12

voodoochili12 Supporting Member

Congrats! You're gonna love it.

10. White Buffalo

White Buffalo Supporting Member

I've heard people call Collings electric guitars lifeless on several occasions, which is what has ultimately always stopped me from getting one. I've no doubt the quality is top notch and on par with much more expensive builds, but what good is that if sonically it's lacking/uninspiring?
    Personally, I always dreamed of an I35 with a black top and black dog hair sides + back. I'd definitely like to still get one someday, just wondering if folks can comment more on the 'lifeless' thing.

11. bforest4

bforest4 Member

I have a Collings I35LC with Throbak DT-102's, Thorn Grantura Korina Neck and Thorn Grantura Mohogany neck with Throbak ER's. All of them smoke any Gibson 335 I have played that is 1965 or later. I had a Gibson 2003 335 with WCR Crossroads which is long gone, a nice guitar but not on the level of the others. The Thorn's are the pinnacle of 335 style guitars, even better than the already great I35LC's. Throbak ER's are the way to go in a semi hollow guitar.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    The bear and Kid Tele like this.
  12. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

How many mid 60s ES-335s have you owned?

treeofpain likes this.
  13. bforest4

bforest4 Member

I have played several, and still own a nice 66 ES-330. The small necks are a big handicap on mid to late 60's gibsons, and sonically, and feel wise , none I have played were in the league of my Thorn's or Collings. I have played many nice newer Gibson 335's including Custom Shop, again not in the same league.

The bear likes this.
  14. telecrazy

telecrazy Supporting Member

I doubt very much that you will find a "lifeless" Collings. Mine is anything but lifeless.

The bear, rockindog and Peanut73 like this.
  15. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I've played four Collings, two I35 and two SoCo's. All were full of "life". I agree that the I35's are different than 335's despite their similarities, which is cool as it gives the consumer options. To my ears the 335 is a little deeper and much more mid-honky, the Collings sounded smoother and more even-toned. I definitely preferred the I35's smaller body size, rounder neck and lighter weight compared to most 335's.

The bear likes this.
  16. rockindog

rockindog Supporting Member

Lifeless Collings electric? Maybe take one out of the case and play it. My Collings I35-LC is one of my favorite electrics, and one of the most responsive and playable guitars I own. And the regular-wind Lollar Imperials sound fantastic.

telecrazy and The bear like this.
  17. The bear

The bear Member

Collings is as opposite of life-less that you could possibly find. If anything some of them are almost responding like acoustic guitars, even their solidbodies. Their laminated guitars(I own 3) are extremely loud, lively and acoustic sounding. If anything I think a 335 and especially 175 often sound lifeless. But those guitars have a certain sound that has been on records since the 50's and 60's and has a place in music history. Collings has only made electric guitars since 2006 and have already raised the bar/borderline revolutionized the guitar industry.

18. The bear

The bear Member

Whoever that refers to Collings as lifeless needs to get their ear's checked. It's a joke. Some people might not like their sound, but the response, touch-dynamics and acoustic quality is leaps above any other guitar company I have come across.

telecrazy and rockindog like this.
  19. Kid Tele

Kid Tele Member

This is exactly my experience, down to the Throbaks. My I35 was a step or two up from my ES335. However, my Grantura put an end to the madness. If a Grantura was off the table, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another I35LC over most ES335s.

rockindog likes this.
  20. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member