Who would take a Collings I35LC over a '65 or later 335?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by deech54, Feb 2, 2016.

1. The bear

The bear Member

Yes, sounds even better. I also have new Eastside Jazz in the house.

2. The bear

The bear Member

I tried at Grantura, it was a great guitar but I didn't feel like it was any better than most I-35lc's I have tried. About the same when it comes to build quality. I actually preferred the sound of most I-35lc's, especially the one I just got. More expensive and exclusive doesn't always mean a better sonic result.
    I am a big fan of Gustavsson, but this new I-35lc I got is so good that I wouldn't be afraid to put it up side by side with one of them.
    In fact I think it sounds better(I have tried 5-6 Gustavssons so far).

3. Guspin

Guspin Member

Amazing guitar! What colour it is?

4. The bear

The bear Member

That's a tobacco sunburst. I own two Collings with this finish.

5. Guspin

Guspin Member

Thanks! It is my Favorite color . If I decided to order one I am sure it will be that color.

The bear likes this.
  6. Guspin

Guspin Member

what do you suggest for a I-35 Pickups? Lollar or Throbak? It will be my first I-35 for left haanded and I usually play Jazz Standards and Pop songs.

7. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I've had both, and I liked the Throbaks a little bit more. They seemed more organic to me. The Lollars sounded good and would work well for your intended use, but were a little sterile in comparison to the Throbaks.

Guspin likes this.
  8. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

To OP, get both. A 335 is not an I35 and vice versa.

Have two vintage 335s, a 345 and a 355, all fantastic instruments. My I35 is the solid wood versus the laminate version and it has a unique tonality, very vibrant acoustic response that comes through the pick ups...it looks like a slightly shrunken 335 with fancier woods, inlays and extremely high build quality versus new or vintage Gibsons...but it has its own very articulate voice. It's not a 335 substitute, it's its own thing.

Agree with the comments on Lollars versus Throbaks, my two Collings electrics have Lollars and if I were buying one now, I would opt for the Throbaks, which are more colorful.

cranqued and Guspin like this.
  9. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

For conversation sake I believe his asking about the i35 LC which is laminated construction like the 335. Smaller size though. I love my i35lc!!!! Would love a vintage es335!!!!

10. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

Laminate or solid wood, Bill and the boys in Austin never made a Gibson copy. They make their own models, with their own sonic signature and build quality, that are based upon classic formats - Dreadnaughts, Jumbos, OMs, single cut solid bodies and thinlines.

11. The bear

The bear Member

I have Throbak SLE 101's in my I-35lc, couldn't be happier. I play jazz and fusion.

Guspin likes this.
  12. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I think that's fair. Despite the similarities, Collings' very much have their own flavour. Viva le difference

:beer

13. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

Any time the topic of Collings come up, here is my general sentiment. I'm guessing that not every guitar they build is absolutely perfect but based on my experience, the only ones that leave their factory are. They are simply flawless instruments.

14. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

While I love my I35 I wish Collings would do a full 16" I35, as well as a 2 pickup Eastside ala an ES175 (P90 option would be cool too). The new upcoming fully hollow I30 would be a good candidate for a 16" body to IMO.

15. The bear

The bear Member

That would be interesting for sure , especially a more 175-like Eastside. My guess is that they would have to change the laminate recipe totally on that model and make it less acoustic sounding. Personally I really like the smaller 15" size for the I-35's and the I-30, but a 16" option would be cool too. I doubt they will ever do this. They have been working really hard on the new I-30, and I hear it sounds warmer and fatter than the prototype they had at NAMM(which everyone loved). I think they will do really well with that model. Can't wait for them to release it.

16. jens5

jens5 Supporting Member

I haven't played any Heritage or Collings so my opinion is pretty much useless, but just from audio clips the Collings makes me drool..

[/QUOTE]
    The ideal combo! Collings I35LC through a Carr Sportsman. Played the Collings through that Carr at Soundpure in Durham. Couldn't afford the Collings at the time as I had just purchased a R8 LP, but bought the Sportman. The combo of that amp and the I35LC still haunts me.

FiestaRed, johnetone and Baemer like this.
  17. floatingjimi

floatingjimi Supporting Member

Austin, Tx - Redington Shores, FL - Ross on Wye, U
    All mahogany I35 with Throbaks - any day over any 335

cinnamongrizzly and johnetone like this.
  18. johnetone

johnetone Supporting Member

Totally! With the Doghair finish!

cinnamongrizzly likes this.
  19. KHK

KHK Silver Supporting Member

I have a '61 355, had a '68 345 and purchased a '15 Heritage H-555 as a gigging guitar rather than a Gibson because it had a real ebony board and I like ebony. I wasn't expecting great but with the Seth Lover's it is every bit the guitar tonally that the '61 355 wih PAF's is. I like the larger neck profile which is in the '59ish territory. You can pick them up used for dirt cheap. I haven't played the Collings but have a CS-356 which is a smaller body guitar and it doesn't breathe as deep as the larger ES's. Don't pre-judge the Heritage like I had been doing for years beacuse of the 'unusual' head stock. They sound and play great.

20. Guspin

Guspin Member

What finish do you like more in a I-35 LC? Tobacco Sunburst or Ice Tea Sunburst?
    I could see one in Ice Tea and felt in love!