Who would take a Collings I35LC over a '65 or later 335?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by deech54, Feb 2, 2016.

1. TANFK

TANFK Member

Actually they are called BOLD letters for the uneducated person who used them LOL... You didn't grasp his comment. Kinda kills your attempt to taunt him right?

The bear likes this.
  2. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

Children - Let's get back to talking guitars...

zguitar71 and joesnewmatch like this.
  3. TANFK

TANFK Member

Perfect example of talking smack while pretending to be above it.

If you want to make a point, don't act like a child yourself.

Unless I missed your on topic comment in your own post LOL...

Chops likes this.
  4. uburoibob

uburoibob Yanuziello Guitar Enthusiast Supporting Member

The danger with the late 60s 335s is the narrow neck. In roughly 1965 to the early 70s, they narrowed the nut down from 1 11/16s to 1 9/16, which is narrower than a Fender Tele. I have a hard time playing on such a tiny neck. Comparing a Collings to a later 60s has as much to do with feel as sound. Body's smaller on a Collings. Neck is a whole lot bigger - 1 11/16 at nut plus very beefy in stature.

Bob

5. uburoibob

I am sure every company makes stellar guitars and 'dawgs'. I think it comes down more to where the average is. Collings, in my experience, seems to - on average - have a better quality build than Gibson. I've owned two Collings guitars - and I-35LC and a 290 with TV Jones pups. Both were lovely guitars and built better than any of the R8s or R9s I've owned in the last 10 years (six, total) and better than PRS guitars (which are very well built). But I ended up selling them cuz I didn't really bond with them. I'd highly recommend them and would always put them in the running if I were looking for an instrument type that they make. I own a Collings UC-1 Uke that I love. Vintage Gibsons from the late 60s and early 70s - from around the time Norlin bought them - are not the greatest guitars in the world. We noticed it at the time - the quality pretty much dropped. But HEY! They were Gibson and the only folks building Gibson guitars. They got better after Henry bought the company.

Bob

6. Timmo

Timmo Member

I pretty much agree with most of what you have said here.
    In fact, it mirrors what I said originally. Collings can make a wonderful guitar but, like every builder they "can make a dawg". I know because I owned one........
    I was posting because the thread was saying how Collings is so superior to Gibson with their I 35 vs the 335 .
    Where I do disagree with you is on Norlin era Gibsons.
    I have owned many Norlins. Yes, many were average some were close to terrible BUT.....the four most AMAZING guitars I have ever played/owned were NORLIN GIBSONS.
    Go figure........they were "MAGICAL"...........

7. uburoibob

And I think that goes with what we are saying about Collings. I am sure there are a couple of great guitars from the Norlin era. I remember a particularly great Super 400 acoustic archtop. And my very first good guitar was a brand new 1969 Les Paul Custom. Weighed 11 lbs, but it was a great guitar and lightyears beyond what we were typically getting from Gibson in the store that I worked 4 years later. In general, Norlin era really blew - and this is coming from someone who sold Gibson guitars in the Norlin era. The pancake bodies. The three piece tops. The Schaller bridges. Ugh. At least CBS Fenders then were of higher quality through that era. Norlin was a little responsive as they moved into the later 70s, but Gibson's sales were terribly off because people simply didn't want them. So, there are fewer - and fewer, still, good ones. Glad you got your hands on what I'd consider the very rare 'great' Norlin Gibson!

Bob

8. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food

I own Bob's old I-35lc and I t's currently my #1. To each their own. Lots of styles and lots of tastes and the constant craving of more/different guitars.

RyanC. likes this.
  9. uburoibob

Hey Joe!!! Glad to see that you are still in love with the guitar. I've since had a second Yanuziello guitar made and am happy as a calm with the two I have now. And happy anniversary of receiving the guitar. I just looked back on our emails and the guitar was delivered to you 3 years ago today!

WHOOPS! It was the Mono case that was three years ago today. Looks like you got the guitar on May 23rd...

Bob

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    joesnewmatch likes this.
  10. arnie65

arnie65 Supporting Member

Why does it always come down to who is the best??? There's really no best, there's only be for you! I've played a couple of I-35's and they felt great, but weren't leaps and bounds above the 335's I've played. Cosmetics and looks are a different story. My only complaint against Gibson is their inability to keep consistency of quality in their builds. The same thing happen to Heritage the first 15 years, now they have it together, but Gibson is still dealing with this problem. For many years they have guitars that are not up to par come down the line and they stamp them as "second", I've never heard or seen any Collings stamped as "second"...

Cheers,
    Arnie..

11. uburoibob

I think 'best' has a lot to do with quality, Arnie.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  12. Timmo

Timmo Member

Can't really defend the NORLIN era.....I'll not try.
    I will say every Gibson I ever played after 1974 was close to terrible.
    They even lost the mahogany necks. Yikes!
    My magical ones were all pre ` 75 and all les Paul customs.
    Man I wish I had kept those but I listened to the so called experts.
    Ha.....

13. Peanut73

Peanut73 Supporting Member

Man, CR Guitars just got two killer looking I-35LCs. If I knew one would sound different than the one I own, I'd buy a second. These are REALLY good.

guitar-rookie and uburoibob like this.
  14. duhziner

duhziner Member

OK. I'm ready to sell my '67 ES-335, and get a Collings. Anybody have preferences between the LC and the Deluxe, and why? I know the difference is between laminate and wood, but why is one preferable over the other, any other differences between the 2?

15. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food

I think you're under a slight misunderstanding. The I-35lc also comes in a Deluxe model. Both are the same except for certain cosmetic extras. Likewise, the standard I-35 (non-lc/laminate) also comes in a Deluxe model. Now, between the laminate and solid tops, there is a difference, but I am not the appropriate person to speak to that. I'm sure others will chime in...

16. telecrazy

telecrazy Supporting Member

I`ve got a Collings I-35 (standard, not the LC) and a `68 ES. They`re really, really different. Both in terms of feel, playability and sound. Really like both of them!
    But buying a Collings is a much "safer" choice than buying a late `60s ES. The `68s I`ve had have all been quite different, especially when it comes to the neck profile.

17. duhziner

duhziner Member

Yeah. I just went to the website. So I'm ok with it not being a Deluxe model, But what are the differences between LC and non LC?

18. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

When I bought my I-35LC, I compared it against a regular I-35 in the store. I greatly preferred the tone of the LC. It had a fatter, richer tone. Te store had a 2nd LC, which sounded the same as the one I bought. But for all I know, that regular I-35 might have been a poor example of that model.

19. duhziner

duhziner Member

I know that the LC is priced less, so I'm wondering if there is a difference in quality. I think I'm going to keep my 335 and just buy the Collings out right. I'm gonna have to play them and see.

20. The bear

The bear Member

There's no difference in quality. Collings quality is always top notch. Collings makes their own laminates with top woods. They have done more research with the I-35lc model than any other of their guitar I think. The guitar telecrazy is referring too is a solid woods verison, it will be more different from a real 335 sound-wise. Many people prefer the sound of the laminated I-35lc to the solid woods version in terms of sound. I have a couple of solid woods soco's but have an I-35lc arriving on Thursday. Different flavors.

rockindog likes this.