• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

who would trust Gibson for a custom?

TimSt.L

So I've heard many horror stories about the QC and overall lack of quality coming from Gibson nowadays. Not only heard, but have seen for myself some very low quality instruments coming from Gibson in the last five years or so.
I picked up and played a new $3000 les Paul in my local music shop about a year ago and played a chord and the high E string slipped off the nut. So I noticed the slot for the string wasn't even cut.
Im not trying to just start another Gibson bash thread. I'd like to know how many people would actually trust Gibson with they're hard earned money to build them a custom les Paul.
I almost have my car loan payed off. And have the ability to get another loan for about $5000-$6000. I wanted to use that to purchase a guitar to end all future expensive guitar purchases. I love the look and feel of a les paul. I have an esp eclipse 2 right now.
And after i get the frets recrowned im sure im going to love my eclipse. But im in a stalemate on wether to get an esp custom shop eclipse, or a custom shop gibson les paul.

Any opinions on my situation?

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
Gibson bashing is all the rage - some of it is deserved and some of it is just folks piling on. If your heart is set on a Gibson, then get a Gibson. Otherwise, there are other makers offering great guitars in your price range.

I would personally NOT borrow money to buy a guitar, but that's just me.

schlagsaite

What Gibson's always lack is a proper adjustment. For a expensive guitar from their custom shop i find that quite hard to accept (Fender CS is more or less the same).
If you go to a shop who does that prior to selling the guitar, you'll see that they're mostly very good instruments.
This "things" bother me more an more. That's why i switched to custom builders who care about the end result.

TimSt.L

Im not all too familiar with custom guitar builders. Could someone maybe drop a name or two of a trustworthy custom builder that could build me a les Paul style guitar that would be worth the money? I'd love to have a custom guitar built to my specs.
I'll realistically have about $3000-$4000 when all is said and done for this guitar.

jb2

? used reissue in emporium. let me know what that guitar to end all is, then i would have to get that too

Patrick2

? used reissue in emporium. let me know what that guitar to end all is, then i would have to get that too
There is no end. Guitars are like socks . . . . you NEVER have enough, even when you eventually find the good ones.

s2y

Is this something another luthier could build you better at the same price or slightly less?

Patrick2

To the OP . . . custom made guitars are always a crap shoot. Even if you do find a great custom guitar builder with a great history and reputation and they do in fact make you a perfect guitar . . . that does not insure that the guitar will be perfect for YOU! If you have to borrow the money to buy "the guitar of your dreams, to end your search for all other guitars" . . . having one custom made is down right stupid! I do not mince words here . . . it's down right stupid! If you can easily afford to take a chance that the guitar you custom order will be acceptable to you, then by all means do so. It's real fun to sit and spec a guitar to your liking with a competent luthier or guitar company. The wait, while torturous, is also part of the fun . . . kinda like going through a pregnancy with your wife waiting for your child. But, you'll more than likely have to plunk down 50% or so at the start of the build. Then, when the guitar is done . . it's yours man. Love it or hate it . . . it's yours. If you hate it, then what do you do with it while you're still paying off the loan you made to buy it?? BAD IDEA!! DO NOT DO IT!!

If you want to make a loan to buy a great guitar, there's no problem with that. Some people need such indulgences and obligations to get out of bed in the morning and go to work. But, search high and low, for a new or used guitar that you can immediately fall in love with from when you first pick it up to try it out.

You seem to be a relatively young man. There will be plenty of time in your future when you will be better able to "roll the dice" on a custom build without have to make a loan to get it.

BedroomRockStar01

Silver Supporting Member
As completely neutral commentator, there are better values to be had at Gibson's custom shop prices. If you really want a Gibson, then by all means get one. I believe there are better values and build qualities available for significantly less cash than most custom Gibson guitars.

Also, getting a personal loan for a musical instrument is not a wise decision. New instruments drop their value faster than cars. At $5-6k new, you're looking at $4k used after the first time you strum it. Plus the interest you'll pay. It's just a bad way to spend your money. You can pick up a used Les Paul custom on the emporium for $2-3k depending on options. Save your money and buy it that way if you have to, but don't dig yourself into debt for it.

Nada

Im not all too familiar with custom guitar builders. Could someone maybe drop a name or two of a trustworthy custom builder that could build me a les Paul style guitar that would be worth the money? I'd love to have a custom guitar built to my specs.
I'll realistically have about $3000-$4000 when all is said and done for this guitar.
you need to do some homework on this for a while before soliciting feedback, IMO. there is so much subjectivity around what you're asking (e.g. "built to my specs"), and a lot of money at stake. There are a number of very approachable builders on this site who, no doubt, would be willing to talk with you about what you want. There's a "small builder" forum area on this site that would be a great place to explore on your own time.

McInturff, Schroeder, Huber, McNaught, Collings, Thorn - all smaller companies doing very cool, high-quality instruments that may meet your specific needs. Other names that come to mind are Hamer USA and PRS. There are, I'm sure, a ton of others.

another thing you need to answer for yourself (and only you) - do you truly want a unique custom instrument, or do you want a headstock that says "Gibson"? Could you end up going down a truly custom path, only to end up wishing you "should have just gotten the Gibson"? I see that happen all the time, and it's heartbreaking.

it's worth mentioning that if you do decide to sell your "built to my specs" custom guitar down the road, then you'll likely take a hit on your initial investment. While it's not a critical reason (IMO) to buy a Gibson, they do tend to hold their value better than the "boo-teek" variants (IME).

I wouldnt...even if they promised to build me a perfect guitar, there are many other options out there that are better and cheaper...

The money you spend on (best case) one excellent gibson custom, could probably get you 2 excellent guitars from somewhere else...

Nada

oh, and i forgot to mention that, if it were me, i would not take out a loan to buy a guitar. that is a dangerous amount of bad debt, IMO.

dunara

Experience has taught me thus:

Quote:
I almost have my car loan payed off.
What a weight lifted.

Quote:
And have the ability to get another loan for about $5000-$6000.
Don't do it.

Quote:
I wanted to use that to purchase a guitar to end all future expensive guitar purchases.
BS.
This

Trending Topics