Whoa, a clip from John Mayer's first single off of Born and Raised

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Kitten Cannon, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

He just posted this today.

http://jhnmyr.tumblr.com/post/17719514418/heres-a-clip-of-the-first-single-off-born-and

It's weird -- he's been on this weird personal and musical journey that has had a lot of the same shape as my own throughout the last 10 years or so, which usually keeps his output at the very least somewhat interesting to me. But this one really kills me, because there's pedal steel on it - a first for John and an instrument I've recently started trying to conquer myself. Sounds like Greg Leisz here... which wouldn't surprise me at all. Sounds pretty good too...

Anyway, here it is, now talk amongst yourselves... :stir

2. spitshineguitars

spitshineguitars Member

Sounds like they cut the clip right before a lead. I dig it, just gotta hear the whole thing to get a better idea.

3. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Cant wait for this album, I think it is going to be really good. Thanks for posting.

Here are some others that should be on the new album:

4. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

Sounds good to me, John is a great writer, musician and arranger.

The greatest thing for me is that I love John's music and so does my 16 year old daughter, not many artists can cover that divide!

5. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Sounds really cool! Can't wait for the rest of the album. Been listening to John's music since his independent release of 'Inside Wants Out'. Not too many artists can go in and out of so many genre's, so to speak, and be really good at it, or even be willing to change things up.

6. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

What I find most impressive is that his label will let him zig-zag as much as they have. Most artists don't get anywhere near that kind of artistic freedom.

7. sws1

sws1 Member

I wish he would get out of that narrow tempo range in which he works. He need many more upbeat songs.

Anxious to hear it when it's all done.

8. Anaritacardoso

Anaritacardoso Member

Really liked it. Completly new vibe, he seems to be in a really good place, you can hear that in the song.

And by the way, its John playing the lap steel.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  9. Ben R

Ben R Member

I agree totally. Also, it’s a shame about John Mayer’s chosen manner of singing. I’ll bet that I’d appreciate him more if he didn’t sing that way. His Dave Matthews meets “emo rock” manner of throaty whisper singing drives me nuts. I cannot stand it. I really wish that he’d sing differently. Many of the times when I’m suckered into clicking on the links here to his Youtube clips, I find myself enjoying some of his guitar work. I’m just about to think, “Actually, I kind of do enjoy this guy.” But, then… he opens his mouth to sing. I’m sure that I’d enjoy him much more if he were just the guitarist in some good band. But, whatever. I’m sure that many of you disagree and are huge fans. I respect your rights to have your differing opinions. Before you all kill me for expressing my thoughts, please realize that I acknowledge that this is all subjective. To each his own. Peace.

10. más_fuerte

más_fuerte Supporting Member

I agree, really liked the feel of this song. Definitely some country-ish influence there with the lap steel... wonder if it's at all influenced by him time spent with Keith Urban.

11. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

Queen of California is kinda cool. I'm actually anxious to hear the record. I agree what was said above about his voice. I just don't enjoy listening to him sing. He is good though. Very talented guy. Just not my cup of tea.

12. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

I'm with you on this...but i focus on the lyrics and the playing and ignore the singing voice. The "pop" aspect of his music is my only dislike. But I've become a casual fan of 5-6 songs of his and look forward to the new album just to see what he brings this time.

EDIT: just listened to this...not a fan of it. I hoped he would be moving away from this poppy type music but that's ok, i will still check out the album and give it a chance!

13. helicopter99

helicopter99 Member

any news when the album is out?

14. drod2045

drod2045 Member

Not that I doubt you, but do you know for sure? Any links?

15. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

My money's on Greg Leisz. Playing, phrasing, tone... all sound EXACTLY like him, not to mention he's worked a lot with Don Was, who produced this record.

It's always weird when one side of what I listen to crashes right into another, and frankly I don't listen to much of anything like John Mayer anymore except for JM (and even that pretty sparingly these days), but listen to Lucinda Williams' Blessed -- the sound and feel are very similar between this clip and that record.

16. Anaritacardoso

Anaritacardoso Member

That's okay. A while ago he posted a clip of him playing lap steel, he said that he was learning it.

Now, I can't really say with 100% shore that it is him. But I also know that he played lap steel in a Bob Reyolds tune(his saxophonist), he as a new album coming and John played guitar in two traks. I know this because Bob Reynolds made a stream, on Ustream, while mixing the record, and mentioned that John played lap steel and guitar in one of the tracks, and by the way, he completly killed it :p

This is what was posted in his tumblr:

17. taez555

taez555 Member

Cool stuff, but I really wish he would get back to his gangsta rap roots.

18. jbhights

jbhights Supporting Member

Nice! Seems less Continuum-ish more Battle Studies-ish. Can't wait nonetheless.

19. waltgrace1967

waltgrace1967 Member

Continuum will continue to define John Mayer's work for me. I'm uncomfortable with the direction of his newer releases and, while "Queen of California" has strokes of originality, I can't help but note Taylor Swift's superior lyrical craftsmanship when I compare "Shadow Days" to "Dear John."

20. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

I knew he was getting into lap steel, but pedal steel is not the same thing! I don't understand why so many people think one is the same as the other.

John sounds great on that lap steel stuff, but that's NOT pedal steel playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.