Whoa Momma! Novo Serus J

LordByron

The Dude abides!
So... I went into a new local guitar shop (Righteous Guitars. If your in Atlanta, definitely go check them out!) I was largely going in to visit a Divided By Thirteen amp I had played before and liked, but they had just recently sold it. I've been looking at Strat-type guitars for a little while, so decided to check a few out. One of the guitars they pulled down for me to check out was a Novo. This is the new line from Dennis Fano, the guy that started Fano Guitars. The Strat-type was a real looker in a very retro looking matte metallic silver and it played fantastic.

BUT then I happened to grab a Novo Serus J sporting a pair of P-90s which was hanging right next to it. I plugged it into a both a 3rd Power Dual Citizen (1/2 Vox AC and 1/2 Vintage Fender) and a Wooly Coats Spanky (think blackface '65 Princeton on steroids) and this thing just opened up and sang like a choir of angels. The guitar resonated like a Stradivarius violin. The only other guitar that I have felt resonate like that was a '57 Les Paul Jr. I came across (and still regret not buying). The bridge and trem are just about perfect, just adding to the incredible sustain and crystal clear tones coming out of this guitar.

It is a cool looking guitar, in a relic-ed Jazzmaster-esque-kind-of-way, but the sound... oh, the sound!

Novo Serus J in Sonic Blue by ByronMGSanford, on Flickr

Despite the fact that I have no business getting another guitar at this moment, I absolutely could not let this one slip away, so I promptly put it on layaway and am now preparing to sell several guitars to finance the purchase. And it is soooo worth it. :)

(Next up will by the Dual Citizen amp. It is an absolute, hand-wired dream with incredible sonic flexibility owing two its two very different channels and the ability to blend the two. Paired with the Serus it is truly a match made in Heaven!)

Last edited:

svenhoek

Glad to hear a review. I totally want one, look forward to the day I get to try one out. A british mag reviewed them, and found them to be absolute top notch guitars...

Simto

Looks sick! You better make some soundclips! :)

Dennis posts different models on his Facebook all the time which leads to me drooling on my keyboard...

Whitecat

Glad to hear a review. I totally want one, look forward to the day I get to try one out. A british mag reviewed them, and found them to be absolute top notch guitars...
They reviewed the 'T' variant, not the 'J' (no prizes for correctly identifying the influence behind each model) - but IMO the 'J' looks like the superstar standout of the Novo lineup... great looking guitar, @LordByron! Looking forward to your NGD post!

morgan918

Congrats! I was just drooling over these on Dennis' site this morning. I'm hoping to make a big purchase later this year and I'm torn between a Kauer, a Novo, and a Dano offset.

Trending Topics