Whoa this woman can play!

BadHat

Silver Supporting Member
St. V can definitely play, but I'm not entirely convinced all those weird, outside notes she hits are intentional.

DustyRhodesJr

Silver Supporting Member
Glad to see a female doing well in music, but her playing does not sound
very good to me.

Almost sounds like she is just hitting random notes at times.

zztomato

Annie Clark is one of the more creative women in music right now. She has a brilliant mind and takes a very comprehensive view of how her music is delivered to the audience.

If you don't like her that's fine but if you think she is not a good artist, you are blind and deaf.

russ6100

Silver Supporting Member
It’s strange that so many guitarists don’t know her.

She’s a legit modern day guitar hero. So innovative and progressive.

Absolutely incredible.
Isn't "guitar hero" kind of a mischaracterization?

Her music is pretty artsy with a decent amount of performance art thrown in - e.g. She'd been on a bill with Talking Heads, which I thought was a pretty congruent match. I don't think she's trying to "wow" anyone with her guitar playing, it's functions more in service
to what she's trying to accomplish artistically.

It's kind of unfair to label her a "guitar hero" and it sets her up as a potential target, especially on a forum.

Isn't "guitar hero" kind of a mischaracterization?

Her music is pretty artsy with a decent amount of performance art thrown in - e.g. She'd been on a bill with Talking Heads, which I thought was a pretty congruent match. I don't think she's trying to "wow" anyone with her guitar playing, it's functions more in service
to what she's trying to accomplish artistically.

It's kind of unfair to label her a "guitar hero" and it sets her up as a potential target, especially on a forum.
I’m just referring to the fact that she’s awesome, plays excellently, and is progressing guitar playing forward in a way that others aren’t, and deserves to be recognised as one of the iconic players of the day. I think it’s equally important that young women have someone like her to inspire them.

Guitar heroes don’t have to be like Jimmy Page. They can be like Annie.

Last edited:

I Am Misery

Worthless response to promote judging women by their looks instead of their talent.
seriously? i'm pretty sure she knows what she's doing, you can come down off your shiny white horse.

I was expecting more when I heard the all the praise. I wasn't that knocked out.
that's what i thought when i heard Van Halen. i wasn't knocked out when i first heard them, which made all the praise from the "guitar players" a bit confusing. thankfully i was born about five years too late to fall for any of that.

Jaguar

Somehow this woman went under my rader until now but damn im impressed by her playing. Impressive unique style and fuzz tones shes getting at her solo at around 4 mins in the video.

I wonder what fuzz pedals shes using... drool
Smokin' hot... on guitar as well..

Jaguar

Oh, we've had many threads on Annie in the past here.
I'm a fan.

She used a ZVex Mastotron fuzz for quite awhile...
But that was years ago and she changes her board often enough I wouldn't doubt it's something different now.
In that video it was probably the Mastotron.
Yes, ZVEX Mastotron. She is a real fuzz-ripperrrr!! Love IT!

amstrtatnut

I love her - for me, people like St Vincent are keeping the guitar relevant to modern music, and whatever you think of her music, surely that's something we can all get behind?

Music's so much in the ear of the beholder - that's no right or wrong, and there's a huge difference between not for you and not good. TGP, or at least a corner of it, seems to love folding its arms and declaring itself unimpressed in any contemporary player that's not strictly operating within approved traditional parameters but really guys, just say 'not for me' and move on. Or even, don't say it and go look for a thread that you're interested in. It's such a weird thing, the need to comment on something that doesn't interest you instead of clicking out of the thread and into one that does.

But Annie's pretty damn talented, whatever peanut gallery think.
I took lessons from her uncle Tuck Andress before she was born. I want to like her but, its just not for me. I liked this song more than others Ive heard.

Ubersooner

seriously? i'm pretty sure she knows what she's doing, you can come down off your shiny white horse.

that's what i thought when i heard Van Halen. i wasn't knocked out when i first heard them, which made all the praise from the "guitar players" a bit confusing. thankfully i was born about five years too late to fall for any of that.
Name checks out.

Zero melody... dissonance resolving to more or less dissonance. The solo was a non-solo. Interesting musical choices, not really artistic enough to justify the lack of melody IMO but avant-garde in it’s own right.

Her touch and tone is definitely world class... there is indeed a high level of mastery to her playing.

Nice unison bends, great rhythm and superb fuzz control where it’s fuzzy but you can still make out her more complex voicings.

Those heels tho!!! To do anything more than stand in those things is downright incredible... to play a friggin’ stadium in them is just downright gangster.

And she’s gorgeous... there is a lot going for Tuck Andress’ neice.

mikebat

Meh.

I like the direction much more than any 80's hair rock re-tread, but...neither the songs or her playing does a thing for me.

Last edited:

bsacamano

I get who she is and I dig her music but I do wish she'd go full on shredder for an album. She probably couldn't do it given her fan base but maybe she would guest on something or form another project where she's a full on guitar hero. She gives little hints of it every now and then in her playing.

I get who she is and I dig her music but I do wish she'd go full on shredder for an album. She probably couldn't do it given her fan base but maybe she would guest on something or form another project where she's a full on guitar hero. She gives little hints of it every now and then in her playing.
That’s so not who she is.

Digital Larry

I'm sort of intrigued by Annie but "the music kids today listen to" overcomes me. I think she's talented.

OTOH, Macyn Taylor - I've watched this video a million times. She's also really into Leo Kottke. Like the braces! I think she was 16 here.

Here she covers Tommy Emmanuel.