Whole lot of amp, little weight, modest cash.

Lightweight Clean Machine for Rock

• Fargen Blackbird

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alessandro Rottweiler/other

• Morgan RCA 35

• Dr. Z of some sort

• Fender Vibroverb RI

• Total voters

Ape2000

Silver Supporting Member
Updating the thread:

Looking to replace a Mesa Electra Dyne. Great tone, but my back is not happy about it. Plus, it's probably got more volume on tap than I'll ever need.

I have immense respect for the true players, but I'm not going for the SRV thing or jazz. I'm a simpleton who just wants a solid platform. Not quite "rig of doom" either, but that's probably closer to the camp I draw from.

Here's a link to a track of mine that goes through a range of tones I might use. Not sure if it's helpful considering I'm really looking for the cleans.

https://lunasoltera.bandcamp.com/track/shattered

7/28 Update: Gonna update this thread so it's a but truer to what I seek. Great input thus far. It's helping me shape my search. I'm also realizing there's a number of ways to achieve a similar goal, and that people will reply based on what they know, have played, and love.

That said:

• Preference for tube (solid state really can be great, but not what I'm wanting right now)
  • 30-50w
  • I prefer 1x12 combos for portability. Head and cab is ok.
  • Under 45 lbs. (At this point, anything even remotely lighter than the Mesa will be notable)
  • Great clean tones - Fender is the gold standard, but I love Ampeg cleans, Vox cleans, and Hiwatt cleans. Yes, I know they're all different. (3D, swirly, big, warm, etc.)
  • I like big iron, but understand the amp will be heavier by nature.
  • If it can gain up a bit on a second channel, great. But I'm cool using pedals for the heavy lifting (Greenhouse Effects Sludgehammer, Bogner Burnley, DCW Pedals [Internally Screaming] - more on that in another thread)
  • I play in two bands. One more indie rock, the other on the heavier end of the spectrum. Not quite metal by any means; otherwise, this post might be moot.
  • Budget is under $1200. Used market for sure. Probably $700-$1200 ideally.
  • Totally cool with big names. Boutique is cool but I have no loyalties. If it sounds good, it sounds good.
Now that that's out of the way, fellow TGPer comments and some digging on my own have me looking at some of the following:
  • Alessandro Rottweiler
  • Alessandro Crossbred Mutt
  • Allen Amps
  • Fargen Blackbird
  • Dr. Z Maz 38 (probably too heavy)
  • Morgan RCA 35 (not sure on weight. Pricing seems a bit steeper than I'd like)
  • Fender Vibroberb 63 RI (dark horse!)
  • Bruno Cowtipper or UG30 (out of my price range, but they sure sound nice)
  • Port City Pearl (not sure on weight, but maybe a bit more than I'd like to spend)

Last edited:

4styx

I'd suggest a Sound City 20. Great clean that doesn't sound anything like a fender, great reverb and 35lbs

ChrisVereb

The Mesa Transatlantic series is rather light weight and has a several flavors of clean to choose from. The TA-30 head is 40 watts and only 20 pounds.

Stratoman1985

What's the price range? I'd strongly suggest a traynor guitarmate ygm3. These vintage, handwired amps can be had for 500, and they have gorgeous reverb. Very big fender chime, but it morphs into a fat Marshall when you crank it up. Superb amp with plenty of power.

Ape2000

Silver Supporting Member
What's the price range? I'd strongly suggest a traynor guitarmate ygm3. These vintage, handwired amps can be had for 500, and they have gorgeous reverb. Very big fender chime, but it morphs into a fat Marshall when you crank it up. Superb amp with plenty of power.

You know what, that's one of that's come across my radar a few times. I'd really love to test one out. Good call

doc

Silver Supporting Member
The Traynors sound great, but the cabs are pretty heavy, they're fairly overbuilt. If you want a light vintage amp with a nice range from a pretty, thick clean up to some moderate crunch at reasonable volume, look at the 60's Ampegs. The cabs are robust but fairly light. The trick is to get them serviced and replace the speakers with something efficient - the stock ones sound good but are quiet and blow easily when pushed. I have Emi Lil Texas neos in some of mine and they sound great and the package is very light. Depending on the amp you choose, with a tune up and new speaker you're in for maybe $700 to $900. I use my Jet for practice some - it can hang with a band up to moderate volume, but runs out of gas if the band is on the louder side.

Ape2000

Silver Supporting Member
The Traynors sound great, but the cabs are pretty heavy, they're fairly overbuilt. If you want a light vintage amp with a nice range from a pretty, thick clean up to some moderate crunch at reasonable volume, look at the 60's Ampegs. The cabs are robust but fairly light. The trick is to get them serviced and replace the speakers with something efficient - the stock ones sound good but are quiet and blow easily when pushed. I have Emi Lil Texas neos in some of mine and they sound great and the package is very light. Depending on the amp you choose, with a tune up and new speaker you're in for maybe $700 to $900. I use my Jet for practice some - it can hang with a band up to moderate volume, but runs out of gas if the band is on the louder side.
Good call.

I actually had a V2, which was one of my favorite amps, but a monster to lug around. Also had a weirder 70s gemini that I didn't love, but I love me a good blue check 60s Ampeg. Reverberockets have some of the best cleans, ever. I just wonder about something like that handling pedals and some of the heavier end of the spectrum that I play.

Ape2000

Silver Supporting Member
The Mesa MK V 35 has very nice cleans.
The combo is 44 lbs , but you could drop a Neo Creamback in it and be at 37 lbs.
Here,Andy Timmons is playing the MK V 25,which would give you a good idea of the MK V 35

Such a damn good player, that Andy. Let me take a listen. I've tracked on a full on Mark V before, so I have a general idea.

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
Alessandro Rottweiler 1x12 combo, if you can find one.

Its everything you asked for, with decent power scaling and reverb to boot.

jvin248

Maybe one of these amps

If you have a PA to plug into you can use this Joyo to go direct -- super light rig

Trending Topics

Top Bottom