Who's cab IR's sound the best to you?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by james..., Jul 7, 2017.

1. james...

james... Member

I have IR's from probably 6-7 different makers at least. 3Sigma, Fractal, Ownhammer, and various others.

I was auditioning through a lot yesterday and realized that for whatever reason, my Ownhammer IR's are just really, really good.

Anyone else feel this way about a certain IR maker? I'm curious who.

2. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

ML Sound Labs and Ownhammer are my two favorites.

Ownhammer is very consistent and their tonality is pretty close to what I want to hear I think. It seems to be one of the warmer/fatter IR's out there but not excessive low end and there's still enough clarity up top without being too bright.

ML is maybe a little more of a mix-ready sound, still balanced, but the typical unpleasant frequencies aren't as present. Fewer options but everything is incredibly usable. Only downside is it's Fractal-only.

3 Sigma sounds incredibly hyped to me with WAY too much low end and treble and scooped mids. Not natural at all and I couldn't get any warm tones out of it.

Celestion is too bright and some of them have no low end at all. It's one thing to have bright IR's and another when every single one is way too bright.

3. 68Injunhed

68Injunhed Supporting Member

I'm digging the Focus folder from CabIR.eu.....using the Vox 2x12 with zero high or low cuts....just sounds "right".

pima1234 likes this.
  4. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

The Bulb Zilla (I think 13) is extremely versatile. There's six different Celestions of all types in a variety of 2x12 cabs with single mics, dual mics, and a number of mixes. Pretty easy to find what you're looking for. The only thing it doesn't really do is the big low end more metal type stuff and for more traditional clean and blues tones maybe it's the wrong pick.

I also have the USA Combo pack and not as big a fan of that. The speakers aren't quite as versatile, some are missing low end, and I tend to go back to the Creamback Alnico from the Zilla pack. In hindsight maybe the Vox pack would have been more interesting.

Lastly I've got the Brit Family Sampler which is a bunch of different Marshall cabs, but limited to single mics, one speaker per cab, and a mix. It's a nice intro to all the different types of Marshalls out there, but for me when I think Marshall I think pre-Rola Greenbacks, so I probably would have been a bigger fan of the PR55/75 cab instead.

If I was just buying one single Fractal cab pack it would probably be the Bulb Zilla, but I'd also be interested in the Justin York Bipolar and the Ownhammer Green Vintage as well. I don't have the York as it seems to overlap too much with what I have, but the clips sound great and having a 4x12 V30 and a 2x12 Alnico Blue would cover a lot of ground. The only missing piece would be that Marshall Greenback, which is where the Ownhammer one comes in. $20 is a great value too. I have the H75/M75 bundle from the OH site which are similar (I've got a bundle discount and wanted the IR's to not be tied to Fractal) and it's really fantastic.

From the OH standpoint, I think the Core Tone bundle and the Checkerboard H75/M75 covers pretty much everything. The CT includes a Deluxe 1x12 Fane which is warm yet clear and works for pretty much any clean tone. There's a Vox 2x12 Blue which obviously works for class A stuff. And the Recto 4x12 V30 handles the higher gain V30 stuff well. I don't like the oversized Marshall 4x12 as much as it's kind of dark, which is where I like the H75/M75 set. H75 being a little more scooped and M75 more middy.

pima1234 and AtomicBlaze like this.
  5. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Ownhammer MAR-66 pack. 64 different speakers with single mic and mixed mic combos. Excellent pack. I've tried many many others and these just sound right to me.

6. pattste

pattste Member

I have a Torpedo Live and I use IRs from the Two Notes Capture Masters series pretty much exclusively. My goto are:
    • Colorado by Diffusion Audio, a Bludotone 1x12 open back with a Scumback H-75-LDHC speaker, recorded with a Wunder Audio CM12 condenser microphone.
    • TR Sig 65 by Noise Factory, a Two-Rock 2x12 cab with WGS 65 watt speakers, recorded with a Neumann U87 or a Sennheiser MD421.
    I use the Colorado for all live playing and headphone practice as well as when recording OD tones. I use the TR Sig 65 when recording clean tones.

I've bought a few Celestion Plus IRs but in the end I haven't really used them. I think they are too bright and one-dimensional, if that makes sense.

PBGas and JerEvil like this.
  7. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Supporting Member

Very interesting assessment of the celestions. I can relate. Can I ask what your favorite ownhammers are? Also, specifically do you generally go for the Single mics, mixes, or blending of single mics?

8. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon Member

With as many times as this question gets asked, it seems to me the only real definitive answer to it is, "My favorite IR is the one that sounds the best on the song I'm working on in the patch I've created." That's why I have an assortment of IRs from Ownhammer, RedWirez, and Celestion. But it would be impossible to say which ones are my favorite without the context of a given song and amp setup. That's the point of IRs isn't it?

9. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Yeah, depends on the context:

Gilmour: TheAmpFactory
    Marshally 4x12: Ownhammer
    Small cabs: antcarrier and Jay Mitchell

10. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

I've been thinking I sometimes come at IRs backwards -- having amp settings in place, and fishing for an IR that sounds good with them. In real life, you'd plug into a cab, then adjust your amp, drives, and EQs, not the other way around.

When a cab is "too bright", you can stick an EQ after it and/or low/hi cuts to add fullness and/or tame the top end. The question in my mind is, what's the net result when you do that? To me, it's less about the overall tonal balance of an IR, which is quite adjustable in other ways, and more about the peaks and valleys across the spectrum that give it its unique flavor.

That said, my current crop of patches use Helix cabs, and IRs from cabIR, Celestion, Ownhammer, Allure, and a custom one made my a Helix group member from an Amplitube Cab Room preset I sent him when I first got my Helix.

I also have new stuff I haven't had a chance to check out yet from cabIR, Celestion, Ownhammer, Redwirez, Valhalla, and Dr Bonkers, plus a big list of Ownhammer stuff I've researched and want but haven't bought. However, in Helix, shuffling IRs around to make reasonably organized room for new ones without breaking existing presets is a pretty huge drag. I tend to spend my limited time in the "studio" just playing guitar with what I have instead of dealing w that.

Really would help if we had 5 or 10 times as many IR slots, and longer IR names, not to mention auto-adjustment of existing presets when you reorder your IRs. Oops, wrong thread...

AdInfinitum and strumminsix like this.
  11. Lele

Lele Member

My favorite: Valhallir.at Wolverine, Cabir.EU Orange 4x12 and Ownhammer 412 Orng M25. They are all great for playing at loud volume both with clean tones and mid/high gain.
    I did not like the 3Sigma I bought (way too scooped, maybe good for playing alone and with headphones only, but not in a band mix). Celestion ir are good too but I also find they are just a little too trebly and thin.

AtomicBlaze likes this.
  12. DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon Member

Actually that's exactly the opposite of how it's always been done traditionally...at least in studio work which is really the paradigm used by the Helix. Before modeling and such the amp was generally the thing that was most unchangeable, and still is to a certain degree. Changing from a Marshall Plexi to a Vox AC15 or HiWatt is a significant difference compared the minor tonal tweeks that a cabinet, mic, and mic placements make. Generally speaking the workflow has always been 1) with a given amp that's been selected for the style of the music, select a cabinet that will best reflect the character of the amp you're hoping the capture then 2) try different mic's in different locations to get the right tonal qualities you're looking for then, 3) adjust EQ if necessary.

The reason for this sequence is that adjusting EQ can quickly make a very natural organic sound unnatural. Generally speaking EQ tends to be very minor adjustments to address some very specific problems. Otherwise the sound quickly becomes artificial.

AdInfinitum, GtarLover and Madmax25 like this.
  13. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I've spent a couple days now auditioning hundreds of IR's against each other, and it's pretty overwhelming at times.

There's a tradeoff between clarity and warmth for IR's and jumping between different ones, especially different producers, is jarring.

At the end of the day it's almost better and easier to just stick with one or a handful that have similar tonality and just work from there.

And that's also kind of how I feel about these modelers in general...pick one that works for you and stick with it.

AdInfinitum, oldhonk, CubanB and 2 others like this.
  14. voss451

voss451 Member

For me, I've experimented with quite a few different packs including Ownhammer, Redwirez, 3 Sigma, etc.. and the ones I seem to always go back to is the "Guitar Hacks" pack which is absolutely free.

15. gtr37

gtr37 Member

It true it's a rabbit hole for sure
    Your right though pick your
    5or 6 fav cabs and go from there
    Your earlier clip with Deluxe
    Marshall and modern HIgain
    Shows that as most guys picked 1 in the 3 different
    Tones so whatever one is
    That is a great fit

Jarick likes this.
  16. Occam

Occam Member

I'm just getting into this but I use the TwoNotes Wall of Sound III and a lot of their stock IR's and I wasn't super blown away in general but I've found a few go to speakers but I really like the IR's that Celestion themselves just put out. I got a few of the Greenback and Creamback speakers and I run my ADA MP-1 and I'm pretty happy with that but I'll definitely check out a few of these there.

17. mikah912

mikah912 Member

At the risk of sounding like a shill for the guy, I think @fremen puts out some mean, super-versatile IRs that deserve to be considered with the Ownhammers and 3 Sigmas of the world. Even better, his are always paired with presets, so you're not wading through folders auditioning. You just use 'em, and if you get bored or curious later, you can mix and match them.

fremen and JiveTurkey like this.
  18. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Jarick

What the verdict on these
    What was clip 1 that everyone seemed to agree on was it what you expected
    Or a surprise

19. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I have not tried the Ml sound labs, but the rest of this is pretty much my experience as well. The Ownhammer stuff just seems to work for me.

AtomicBlaze likes this.
  20. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

I was EXTREMELY surprised, in the best possible way, by this one from @Dr Bonkers :

https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/p...ume-a-jmld-4x14-guitar-cabinet-ir-collection/

Surprised because it's a full-size pack for all of $0.99, and to my ears they totally hold their own against Ownhammer, God's Cab, Kazrog, and others. Very curious to try some of their other IR packs.

(Full disclosure: I have no affiliation with Dr. Bonkers whatsoever, apart from enjoying the hell out of their IRs.)

Dr Bonkers likes this.