Who's favorite cab is a 1x12 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kenny Blue, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

(Earlier today I created this thread in the wrong forum... so here it is correctly placed.)

I am curious about this because this is the case with myself.

I admit that I do not own, nor have I ever owned a 4x12. I have not even ever played through one. I am sure it is a glorious thing to play through at a substantial volume. But I have played, over the years, through 4x10s and plenty of 2x12s and 1x12s.

I prefer open back cabs and I have found that once I found a speaker that I really liked with an amp, although I do enjoy different speaker cab configurations for the tonal variety that they offer, my favorite cab is a 1x12 and with a higher wattage speaker. Some years ago, after trying many different speakers and liking a number of them, I came to the conclusion that MY favorite speaker with actually most of my amps is a black frame Scumback H75 100 watt.

I have a hard time explaining why I find that the 1x12 is my favorite cab, but there is something about the focus of the sound coming from the cab that sounds a certain way with a single speaker... especially if it is able to handle the wattage from a 40 or 50 watt amp comfortably (or my 85 watt Fender Showman... which I don't turn all the way up so the one 100 watt speaker handles it very nicely !), which is the wattage range that all of my amps are.

I also sometimes will play through a 2 amp set up, both with a 1x12 cab each... which sounds great also. Which ever two amps of mine that I use each have a somewhat different tonal character.

Does anyone else, at least at times, prefer using a 1x12 cab ? And if so what speaker do you like in a 1x12 ? And what amp do you use through it ?

Billy Van Beck and MHG like this.
  2. bluenova

bluenova Member

Thiele. EVM12L. MT15.

3. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

I head read some speaker cab posts from some very well educated members. They compared the technical capabilities of the 1x12 vs others and the 1x12 fared well for frequency handling, directional and coverage.

Multiple speakers 2x10, 4x10 and 4x12 are beaming and suffer from phase cancellation. 2x12 coverage is better when the cab is vertical.

This information is from assorted posts and perhaps an esteemed member, could contribute as there is a lot of well intentioned misinformation out there.

YMMV

psyandy likes this.
  4. Ranster44

Ranster44 Member

Me. Red Plate 1x12 with a Creamback in it.

Daytona57 likes this.
  5. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

I’ve got an old Ampro theatre cabinet with a Tone Tubby red alnico and it sounds incredible. Definitely my favorite cabinet.

Daytona57 likes this.
  6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I have a really cool Forte 3D 1x12 from before he went out of biz. I usually run my Carol Ann Tucana 3 through it. It sounds great. BUT, I prefer my 2 twelve significantly more. 1x12’s are brighter than multiple speaker cabs. The slight phase canceling of high’s is the key.

I bought a 1x12 TopHat Club Royale after playing a 2x12 Club Royale for years. I thought something was wrong with it the first few min I played through it. Pulled the speakers from my 2x12 and tried them both in the 1x12. Same strident tone. Tried the 1x12’s amp plugged into the 2x12 TH cab. Sounded exactly like my other amp. All back to the single 12. Fast forward to my Forte cab. Same amp through it or my 2x12 DrZ cab with slightly different Scumbacks than the Forte. The 2x12 markedly better.

it has to be the 1x12 config like the TopHat. The Forte sounds great. The 2x12 is perfect. I’m convinced its the phase cancellation smoothing the highs and upper mids.

Daytona57 likes this.
  7. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

I have a Peavey 1x12 that can be semi-open or closed back. It has a greenback in it.

I prefer it to my 2x12 EVH and the 4x10 Mesa AR I just got rid of. Sometimes I would rather play it than my Marshall 1960. I have an SV20 that prefers the greenback.

I don’t think the 4x12 is inherently better by any means and whatever that cab has going on just works. I don’t care from whence it came.

All my amps that go under 25 watts like it.

Sometimes I will run it next to the 4x12 with a Chupacabra 50 and it gives a natural reverb sound. I’ve never performed running both.

For practical reasons that cab was also my main gig for a long time, for the obvious reasons. I’ve run many a different amp into it:

PT-20
    Origin 50

I run a Dr Z Maz18jr into it from the Maz’s 8ohm Tap and love that sound.

The Peavey 6505 Mini that it’s meant for.

My Zlux is sitting on it now in 20watt.

I forget all the amps....

I prefer a 4x12 but that’s my favorite cab. I’ve also owned it the longest and traveled and gig’ed it the most of any cab I’ve owned. So I’m sentimental.

But I do prefer a 4x12 slant or even better... a stack. I don’t have another 4x12, though.

Daytona57 likes this.
  8. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Depends on the venue for me.

Indoors, small to medium club, mostly a 1x12, though sometimes a 2x12 with one speaker covered - there's a certain resonance with 2x12's, even with one speaker covered.

But there is a certain focus and controllability to running a 1x12 that I enjoy.

Outdoor gigs, mostly a 2x12.

I run either a 50w bass plexi head, a 50w plexi 1x12 combo or a JTM-45 head.

Almost all cabs & combos I use are open/oval backs and contain G12-65's, with the exception of a closed back 2x12 cab with greenbacks, used with the JTM-45.

doublescale1 and Daytona57 like this.
  9. twotone

twotone Member

The only 112 cabinet I have is a homemade one with six pieces of plywood screwed together. It has a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker in it and I use it with a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 head. It sounds like a scaled down version of a Marshall half stack.:D

Billy Van Beck and Daytona57 like this.
  10. TheMemoryEstate

TheMemoryEstate Member

Played though a bunch of set ups 4x10 8x10 4x12 2x12’s
    My favorite is a single speaker setup, the feel, response and dynamic range is much more prominent for me in a single speaker set up.

Daytona57 likes this.
  11. Ogre

Ogre Member

Bogner closed back regular size 1-12 is a great sounding cabinet.

Daytona57 likes this.
  12. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

CR120H + EVM12L, nothing else I've tried is better for that amp including 4x12

Daytona57 likes this.
  13. MHG

MHG Member

When it comes to 12" speakers, I also prefer 1x12's. I use 2x12's as well out of necessity, but 1x12 is my favorite in general. I don't like 4x12's at all. The responsiveness of a single 12" is where it's at imo.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Daytona57 likes this.
  14. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Supporting Member

yep 1x12 is my fav

Daytona57 likes this.
  15. stonem

stonem Member

I have a few cabs 4x12, 1x12s etc. My favorite is a 1x12 open back I made from birch with a tone tubby 40/40 in it, i use it 90% of the time.

16. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

1x12s are better suited to some styles than others... I doubt you will find many hard rock players who are big 1x12 fans. For some styles they’re pretty archetypal, though so it all depends. I’m settled on a 2x12 because it is a good combination of weight, size, power handling, feel, and sound.

17. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

I have 2 favorite cabs. A 212 BB Greenback cab and a 112 closed back tweed with original Jensen P12q. They are very different but I love them both for different reasons.

18. freddyfeebleman

freddyfeebleman Silver Supporting Member

rauchman, RAG7890 and KevinD like this.
  19. Coli

Coli Supporting Member

love my Thiele /EV when using a Boogie or Glaswerks. I dig it with the Bogner Duende,too. I use other cabs for my Marshall type amps.

Wyzard likes this.
  20. fescue

fescue Member

Mojotone British 1x2 open back with Eminence GB128.