Who's gigging a vintage or rare guitar?

BTB

Silver Supporting Member
i was just thinking about this, as I have a G&L Broadcaster as well as a '74 Tele Deluxe that I've gigged out a number of times but haven't recently due to a new AVRI acquisition. While I was, I was always thinking that maybe it wasn't a good idea in case something would happen to them...but then guitars are made to be played. Still planning on playing out with my favorite gear.

Shameless photos:

nightbird

I Guess I don't consider a G&L Broadcaster and a '74 Tele Deluxe as 'vintage' or rare but to answer your question I have no problem taking my 59 Gretsch 6120, 67 Gibson ES335 or my 76 Mossman Golden Era out.

slider

I have an old Tele but can't gig with it, 'cause it makes me too nervous. Nightbird, don't you have to keep your eyes on those rare birds every minute?

BTB

Silver Supporting Member
Guess it's all relative. The G&L broadcaster I view as rare and a 42 year old Tele as vintage. Granted there are much older and rarer, but still they are not easily replaced.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
It's not the vintage or rare that make me nervous. It's the pristine ones no matter the age. But the ones I feel like I have to baby don't stick around for long. Let the collectors have them. I'd rather play the player grade guitars and not feel all custodian-like about them.

sixty2strat

not touching the vintage question but rare...seems anything that you can't replace easy is rare to me. Maybe not collectible, not vintage but not easy to replace. I have a 76 firebird that has pretty low production number(3000 IIRC)s but it is a norlin, to me it is precious and rare even once upon a time even my 91 was not real common. I have a 74 standard that is stock with tops, rare but not burst rare. Then I have a 62 melody maker, vintage but not rare . Best way to ask it is :Who gigs guitars that are not easy to replace

Grap

I've gigged my Martin E-18 from time to time. I don't really consider it vintage, but as there were only 348 of them made it's pretty rare.

02Singlecut

Every one of my PRSi are rare as they have all been made for me and there are no others like them. I gig them all and I also gig'd a 66 ES 335 for years. There is always someone or myself keeping eyes on eveyone's gear. If they get dinged etc....I send em to PRS....few bucks later....good as new! Enjoy them all....life's too short!

SPROING!

not touching the vintage question but rare...seems anything that you can't replace easy is rare to me. Maybe not collectible, not vintage but not easy to replace. I have a 76 firebird that has pretty low production number(3000 IIRC)s but it is a norlin, to me it is precious and rare even once upon a time even my 91 was not real common. I have a 74 standard that is stock with tops, rare but not burst rare. Then I have a 62 melody maker, vintage but not rare . Best way to ask it is :Who gigs guitars that are not easy to replace
I fit into that. I made my own guitars, some from very old wood. Not collectible or vintage but they'd be impossible to replace directly. But I still play them out.

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
Vintage and rare or old and weird. All depends on who you talk to. I gig with a pair of heavily modded late 70s SGs.

I used to tour around with a '66 ES-330 through a Marshall halfstack "back in the day".

BADHAK

Unless it's something worth ,say $10,000+ , I would gig it no probs.
All the CS and Historic stuff I've owned has been gigged heavily.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
I choose my gig guitars for sound, utility, and looks. It could be a Squier Jazzmaster, or an early 60s Gretsch Corvette, Late 50s Supro 8 string steel, 50s National New Yorker, 60s Bartolini like Hubert Sumlin's, or a Peptol Bismol pink colored Korean Rickenbacker copy, among others. Excepting the Bartolini, I played all those out last week in three different bands.

Stratoben127

Silver Supporting Member
My three main instruments are a Dickey Betts SG (1 of 200), a 1953 Les Paul Gold Top, and completely original 1951 Martin 000-18.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I don't have a particularly high income so the only way I can justify to myself spending multiple thousands on a guitar is by winging every drop of use out of it I can. None of the instruments I own are top end but there are a few decent instruments in there. My '65 ES330 and '79 ES355 play regular gigs and the rare occasions I play out with an acoustic I take my '39 L00. My only decent mandolin is a 1911 F2 so if I get a mandolin gig the F2 gets to come.

I'm cautious with my gear and it's taken care of and kept track of when it's out of the house: common sense goes a long way when using valuable gear. But at the end of the day it's insured and if I find a really nice guitar I'd rather use it intensively for a few years then lose it to a thief than keep it wrapped up in cotton wool and never get the best out of it. Playing live is a pleasure for me and playing nice gear when I'm out adds to the experience.

I've been gigging for 20 years and I've never had a guitar stolen.

Trending Topics