• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Who's gigging with a Vox AC30C2?

jisham

I play in a cover band and want to switch to a combo amp. I'm interested in hearing from people who use an AC30C2 live.

Specifically, I'd like to know if people use an A/B pedal to switch between the Normal and Top Boost Channels and if so, does that allow you to use the Normal channel for pristine clean tones and Top Boost for the gain stuff?

Or, are most users relying on pedals for gain sounds?

Thanks in advance.

losergeek

I haven't used the AC30, but on the AC15 when you try this the extra gain generally provides to much of a volume difference to use seemlessly....what you can do though is get an ab pedal that has independant volume controls like the boss ls2 to compensate for the volume bump.

lofgren

I have had the AC30C2 for the last 2 years. Its a great amp. Plenty of cleans and lots of grit. Its big enough to play any venue whether it be a small club that holds 50 to an arena that holds 70k. the downfall for me is the weight, its a heavy amp. I use the top boost channel on mine all the time. its a little brighter sounding to me and thats where I can get the grit and sparkle from as well. I did use an ABY with it for a bit but just preferred to use the top boost as my primary. You can also jump channels with it as well, where you can patch the top boost and normal channels together at the same time. If you pick up the C2, I guarantee you that you wont be disappointed. Its a GREAT amp. I gig with mine regularly and its more than enough amp for any venue

demea26

I have had the AC30C2 for the last 2 years. Its a great amp. Plenty of cleans and lots of grit. Its big enough to play any venue whether it be a small club that holds 50 to an arena that holds 70k. the downfall for me is the weight, its a heavy amp. I use the top boost channel on mine all the time. its a little brighter sounding to me and thats where I can get the grit and sparkle from as well. I did use an ABY with it for a bit but just preferred to use the top boost as my primary. You can also jump channels with it as well, where you can patch the top boost and normal channels together at the same time. If you pick up the C2, I guarantee you that you wont be disappointed. Its a GREAT amp. I gig with mine regularly and its more than enough amp for any venue
But for a coverband situation where you need a decent clean and dirty sound, is it practical?

lofgren

But for a coverband situation where you need a decent clean and dirty sound, is it practical?
It certainly wont get fender cleans, thats not the vox vibe. but you can get some great cleans from it and you can get some great dirt from it as well. The AC30 is a touch sensitive amp, it takes time to dial in what your looking for as far as sound. I believe you can get the best of both worlds for your situation. I get nice cleans from mine and I can get great grit/OD from it as well. but if youre looking for extremely clean cleans, Id go with fender. Vox is known for its glassy chime and grit but you can also get clean from it as well. As far as being practical, the only downfall Id have to say about the amp is that its heavy and sometimes has too much power. But in my experience of owning one for the last 2 years, i think its a great amp and I plan on keeping it for quite a while. you can you tube some video demos on the amp. heres one you might want to check out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I46dnyXXnEw

jerryfan6

Gold Supporting Member
I had one for a while...did the ABY thing. I too struggled with the volume differences in the channels. Great sounding amp, but the lack of two separate channels (and the weight) made it impractical for me.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
J -Dawg rockin a vox? Whoa!

Cool amps. but haven't gigged one.

Chadley

Silver Supporting Member
I have an AC30hw head. I have tried an A/B switch and a jumper between channels. I like using an A/B the best. I haven't noticed a major volume difference between the two channels. I love my tele into the normal channel (with the bright switch on) and my duo jet into the top boost channel.

Coldacre

for the last 2 years my live setup has been an AC30C2X for cleans and an AC15C1 for dirt. the AC15 is set so that the amp is breaking up quite a lot (master volume on 7) and a BD2 is pushing it as a light boost. both amps have been reliable and given me zero hassle.

I've also had the opportunity in another band to play the AC30 completely dimed, which has been awesome, but there is only one venue that allows us to do that as it is LOUD. I've been getting great mileage out of GE EL84's, they handle being pushed far better than any current production tube.

the C2 series is a great gigging amp, was most pleased to see Snowy White is using them on his current tour with Roger Waters doing 'The Wall'. if its good enough for him...

jisham

J -Dawg rockin a vox? Whoa!

Cool amps. but haven't gigged one.
I love their sound but based on what I'm reading here, it doesn't seem like the amp I need for the wide range of covers we're doing as I was hoping to avoid needing a bunch of pedals. The weight of the amp is a concern too...I'm getting too f'n old to haul huge amps up club stairs etc.

I appreciate everyone's input. I bet it's a great amp...just not what I need I don't think.

Tootone

This an old thread, but figured I'd give my 2cents as its still relevant.
I have an AC30C2x with UK celestion alnico blues.

Straight up its an awesome gigging amp for all occasions.
I heard some say its too loud. That' s BS. The master vol does its job, and you can play at 'bedroom' levels if you want. For pub gigs I usually have Master at around 20% (3 o'clock looking from front of amp), sits nicely with the drums.

I mostly use strat or tele, plugged in to TB Hi jack. With TB vol set to about 55% you are in the crunch/overdrive zone. Drop the guitars vol knob slightly and you have warm clean tone (think 1st and 2nd solo in Shine On You Crazy Diamond). I set Treb to around 55% and bass to about 45%. It can be quite piercing/toppy but you adjust to venue using tone cut to roll off or add top end.

When I get to a song needing more general raunchiness (La Grange for example), I reach over and crank the TB volume - it takes less than a second. It compresses so you dont get much increase in volume. Or I also have the option of a clean boost, TS808 and a RAT.

With a Les Paul in the Hi input - it sounds like God. Its sounds more like a vintage marshall than a marshall reissue. Chewy grindy thick creamy goodness. Otherwise plug the LP into the Lo input if clean is what you want.

Very versatile, great sounding amp. Worth every penny, sadly underrated because it doesn't have that "rock god" association (except for Brian May). I used to use marshalls JCM800 head, then a DSL 2x12, then a TSL 2x12. The AC30 blew them all away in every aspect.

Yeah its heavy, but not as heavy as a marshall 1960 cab and head, and it can still tear your head off at high volume.

But thats why cargo trolleys were invented.

Voxstratman

This an old thread, but figured I'd give my 2cents as its still relevant.
I have an AC30C2x with UK celestion alnico blues.

Straight up its an awesome gigging amp for all occasions.
I heard some say its too loud. That' s BS. The master vol does its job, and you can play at 'bedroom' levels if you want. For pub gigs I usually have Master at around 20% (3 o'clock looking from front of amp), sits nicely with the drums.

I mostly use strat or tele, plugged in to TB Hi jack. With TB vol set to about 55% you are in the crunch/overdrive zone. Drop the guitars vol knob slightly and you have warm clean tone (think 1st and 2nd solo in Shine On You Crazy Diamond). I set Treb to around 55% and bass to about 45%. It can be quite piercing/toppy but you adjust to venue using tone cut to roll off or add top end.

When I get to a song needing more general raunchiness (La Grange for example), I reach over and crank the TB volume - it takes less than a second. It compresses so you dont get much increase in volume. Or I also have the option of a clean boost, TS808 and a RAT.

With a Les Paul in the Hi input - it sounds like God. Its sounds more like a vintage marshall than a marshall reissue. Chewy grindy thick creamy goodness. Otherwise plug the LP into the Lo input if clean is what you want.

Very versatile, great sounding amp. Worth every penny, sadly underrated because it doesn't have that "rock god" association (except for Brian May). I used to use marshalls JCM800 head, then a DSL 2x12, then a TSL 2x12. The AC30 blew them all away in every aspect.

Yeah its heavy, but not as heavy as a marshall 1960 cab and head, and it can still tear your head off at high volume.

But thats why cargo trolleys were invented.

+1

(Yep, it is an old thread, but one worth re-visiting for sure, like you said... still relevant...)

Trending Topics