Who's got a Low-Powered tweed Twin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jayson Chance, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Haven't had a whole lot of experience with tweed Twins, and I think up until the last few years, it was probably pretty rare that anybody did.

But I actually got a chance to play around with one of the reissues at the local GC yesterday, and was very impressed. I've had a lot of players tell me that Fender did very, very well with this reissue.
    And indeed, it is certainly a great sounding amp. I fooled around with it for probably 30 minutes or so- plugging in several different types of guitars. Les Paul, SG, Telecaster, Gretsch, PRS "soap bar', etc. Nice WARM cleans with a bit of hair.

Who's got one? Or even a boutique, kit, or clone?
    I'd like to hear some clips if you've got them. Might have the itch for one now....

JC

2. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Bump..... Anybody got one? Anyone have clips?

3. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Don't have one yet, Jayson, but am itchin for one pretty bad. I have some gear for sale that will finance me one of these.

I have also played a good bit on a couple of them. I find the head room to break up point just about perfect for using a nice pedal to get that extra edge at club levels. If I were playing bigger places, I think it would be perfect alone.

I am also anxious to try one with a set of 5881s in the power section. I bet that would sound like heaven.

I am watching this thread as well to see what you get by way of responses.

BTW, EC used two of these on the Cream Reunion tour. Sounded really good. I think the Stones were using these at the Super Bowl yesterday as well... the tone was pretty good even if the guitars were way out of tune.

4. bscepter

bscepter Member

I played one in a music store a while back, using an LP Junior. I turned it about 3/4 of the way up, and it just sang. If I had the dough (and needed another overdrive amp), I'd buy one for sure.

5. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I recently picked up the Victoria version, the 50212, and it's a very sweet amp. The cleans are big, warm and smooth, and the bass stays tighter than the Bassman RI I had a few years back. If you crank the volume it breaks up with a crunchy early ZZ Top sort of vibe. The recent Eric Clapton tones are in there too. Volume-wise it fits somewhere between my Dr Z Maz Sr and my Germino Lead 55. The way the tones work is very cool too. They are more like gains for their frequencies, sort of like how a Dr Z Rt66 works. I put Tung Sol 5881 reissue power tubes in mine and that made it sound even better, along with taking a dB or two off the volume. Finally, this amp is extremely light for a 212. Mine only weighs 42 lb, and it's only slightly bigger than my Dr Z 112 amp, so it's very easy to carry to gigs.

6. gregc

gregc Member

I've got the Fender RI. I like it a lot. Perfect volume and breakup for the stuff I usually play. Light in weight and an EZ move to boot.
    gregc

7. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

So are you saying it's louder than a MAZ 38? I have a MAZ 38 with 2 12's combo, and Z's in general are very loud. Just judging by playing the tweed twin at about 5-6 on the volume (in one of the little GC rooms), it seemed comparable to my Z 38, but would be surprised if it was actually louder.
    Either way, I continue to gravitate towards less "sparkly" tones after spending years using mainly SF and BF Fender- types. The LP Twin has a really nice smoothness & warmth to it, while still maintaining nice clarity.
    Definiely has my interest up...

Anybody have any clips? Live or studio doesn't matter-

JC

8. fjs1962

You have to remember my Z is a 112, and I have the G12H30 in it. If you have a 212 with something like Z's favorite V30/H30 setup it's going to be louder than mine. In fact I had a 212 Z before and it was a bit too much, both volume wise and to carry, so I downsized to the 112 and am a lot happier. If you tend to use the amp fairly clean and use pedals for overdrive the Tweed Twin will be just the right volume for clubs. It's not as tight of an amp as the Maz Sr, especially in the low end. Mine has Jensen P12Q speakers, so it's definitely in the Fender camp tonally, a little fuller in the mids than my 74 Super Reverb, and not as sparkly in the top end. I like the Tweed better for blues, jazz, and the bluesier side of classic rock. For rock I still like a Marshall or the Z better, and for country I prefer the Super Reverb or the Z. To be honest if I could only have one amp it would be the Maz Sr since it sounds good for pretty much any style except the tune down metal stuff, IMO.

9. fjs1962

What kind of tones do you want to hear clips of? I could record and post a couple of clips of my Victoria. Just tell me what kind of guitar, what style and whether you want clean, dirty, etc.

10. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

11. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Well, nothing fancy... Just looking for "standard" types of sounds to get an idea of what thee amps sound like on tape. Maybe couple of cleans, couple dirtys. Strat, Tele, Paul, standard type of stuff...
    There just doesn't seem to be a wealth of info on these amps like some others..

JC

12. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Check out Louis Electric.

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned several original Bassmen, and the Mojo Twin clone. I didn't really bond with the amp and eventually sold it. Like the Bassmen it's VERY loud by the time it gives up the goods. It takes pedals well, but it's clean volume is up in the Pro Reverb, 100w Marshall kind of territory. Just not a basement or small gig amp, even with ear plug. You might solve the problem with attenuators, but I don't use those much at home. In the same line, Daves has a gutted 53 Deluxe with a 59 Bassman circuit running the original OT and a pair of 6V6s-that'd give you that great tweed tone at a volume that's useable!

14. fjs1962

I was at home for lunch today and decided to reocrd a couple of quick clips while I was there. Nothing fancy, just my alder/maple neck Suhr Classic (Strat) with V60lp pickups straight into the amp. Direct miked with a SM57 on one of the speakers. I tried to use a couple of different pickup settings on each clip. On both clips I was uing a splitter to go into both channels. The "clean" clip had the both volumes on 6, presence, bass and treble controls all on 8. For the "cranked" clip I kept the tones in the same place and just turned the volumes up to 10 or 11 (remember all controls go to 12, so 6 is half way up). I'll try to break out the Les Paul for some more clips when I get a chance. Oh, and standard clip disclaimer, "don't pay attention to the playing, I was just noodling around" ;)

Clean:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/joemobile/sounds/Vicki_Strat_clean.mp3

Cranked:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/joemobile/sounds/Vicki_Strat_cranked.mp3

15. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Very cool... Nice sounds...:dude

That's pretty much what I figured as far as the overall vibe of the amp.
    Kind of like a "thicker," more "percussive" Bassman. Are those P12N's?
    I dig it...
    I'd like to add another "Fender" type amp to my arsenal, especially for sessions and some live work. I sold a killer '66 Deluxe Reverb I had last year, mainly because I'm just "bored" with the blackface deal...
    Of course BF amps are special, so no flames please! LOL
    But just not really my thing anymore since I basically grew up with that sound.
    But a good, fat tweed on the other hand, might be just what the doctor ordered. Something that's "fun" to play. Especially since I've never really had a tweed, unless you count the Blues Deluxe I once owned. Not the same, though.
    Thanks for the clips. If you get time, I'd like to hear more, as well as maybe some with 'buckers.
    BTW, where are you in Ga.? I'm in Nashvegas and was born here, but grew up mostly around the ATL.

JC

16. fjs1962

This amp has the Jensen P12Q reissues like Victoria puts in them now. It is a 99 model and came with C12Ns and they were OK but weren't as smooth and responsive as the P12Q alnicos. I'm guessing P12Ns would be louder and tighter sounding.

I'm in Augusta, about two hours down the road from ATL.

I'll try to break out the Les Paul and do a couple of clips when I get a chance. The Suhr just happened to be sitting out on the stand today (it's my #1) so that's what I grabbed.

17. fjs1962

18. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Thanks! Very nice clips. Great sounding amp, for sure...
    Definitely has my curiosity up....

JC

19. Yup

Yup Supporting Member

20. Blueser

Blueser Member

Based on hearing his Keef model at the last NYC Tonefest, that's where I would put my money if I were in the market.