Who's got a Richie Kotzen Tele? Tell me about it.

david(j)

Silver Supporting Member
Really curious about this model, particularly the neck.

Lately I've been very comfortable on my PRS wide fat neck, as well as the neck on my Revstar, which feels similar. I feel a little more meat would be fine, but these aren't really out there to try out...

Everything else on the guitar seems to be right up my alley. Great specs and feature set, and it's beautiful.

Any insight is appreciated!

C-4

I had a Kotzen Tele and loved it. My problem came after a back operation wherein I lost use of the radial nerves in my left forearm. My left hand was affected and I then felt that the neck on the Kotzen Tele was too large above the 12th fret for me to handle any longer.

These necks are similar to a Nocaster neck, large, and round. I am guestimating here, but I think they are about .90-.95 at the first and at least 1.0 or larger at the 12th fret. The individual necks will of course vary from Tele to Tele in this line. They are made extremely well, however.

monty

Demoed them a few times, yeah that neck is huge. Biggest I've played on a fender.

jasons7

Silver Supporting Member
I know a guy with one. It's the biggest neck I've played. I have fat Fender necks. I have a current production 52 RI. I have a parts Tele with a Baja neck. That Kotzen neck is minimum 1" at the nut. The neck has an awesome satin finish too. I don't think it had a tone control. It has a 2 or 3 position rotary switch where the tone would be. I believe it was a sort of Varitone that changed the capacitor. Not sure if that worked on both pickups or only the bridge. His had terrible squeal on the bridge pickup and I don't know why. He had to roll back the volume to wrangle it in. He was the kind of guy that just lived with it, but something wasn't right. I would have fixed that.

I want to add, the Dimarzio neck pickup was fantastic.

musicman10_1

Silver Supporting Member
I have one and I have a PRS with a wide fat neck. I transition from the Tele to the PRS with ease. The Kotzen neck is bigger but is comfortable in my hands.

Shark Sandwich

I don't own a Kotzen but I have played one and I loved it. The neck is big but not as big as a Nocaster (I've had a Nocaster for over ten years). I would say the neck is similar to my R9 neck, maybe a tad larger. I really wish Fender would make more guitars with large necks, they just feel better to me. I love the unfinished feel of the neck. I like the modern bridge too. I would love to buy a Kotzen but man are they expensive--$1500 and no case or gig bag to boot. Also, most of them tend to be heavy but I have seen some in the high 7 pound range. Anyway, it's a great sounding, well thought out guitar. Also kinda wish they would offer it in some different color schemes instead of just the sunburst.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Don't own one but played one for a bit. The neck felt massive to me in all aspects. I wasn't a fan of that. The bridge pickup is really hot compared to a standard Tele but switching it either to parallel or splitting the coil or whatever made it too thin and bright for my tastes. It was interesting but not for me.

Neon Trotsky

They have one at my local GC and I FINALLY got to try the Kotzen out a few weeks ago after YEARS now of wanting to.

Yeah, like everyone says, BIG OL' FAT NECK lol; like I thought my '62 Hot Rod strat has a fat neck (for a Fender)... this thing just laughs at that notion. The guitar is GORGEOUS to behold and I LOVE the strat-esque contours (but then I'm mainly a strat guy).

As far as sounds, with that bridge pup, this thing was meant to ROCK, it likes a lot of gain; and tbf I liked the clean tones on the neck pup (not so much the bridge pup).

One other thing, I don't know if anyone's mentioned yet, this one was surprisingly heavy, I mean like it could of been up around 9.5-10lbs easily. Which is ok for me, I like the heavier guitars too, but that neck for me and my average-sized hands is just too fat. I'd put a rosewood Warmoth on it and sell the original, but that's just me.

C-4

I had ordered mine from MF. It weighed just over 7.2 lbs, which I was really happy to find out. I cannot play heavier guitars any longer.
The tone control pot is a series/parallel switch me thinks.

I have one. I'll echo what everyone has said about the neck being big and fat. I find it very comfortable. Mine is about 8.5 pounds. I switched out the hardware for chrome and put on a black pickguard. I moved the wiring for the bridge pickup split to a push/pull pot on the volume knob and changed the other knob to a tone control. I like this setup a lot better and it now allows a split bridge pickup when it's on it's own. (factory wiring only allows split bridge pu in the middle setting) I really like both of the pickups on this guitar a lot! I can cover a lot of ground with it.

Shark Sandwich

I had ordered mine from MF. It weighed just over 7.2 lbs, which I was really happy to find out. I cannot play heavier guitars any longer.
The tone control pot is a series/parallel switch me thinks.
wow 7.2 pounds you really lucked out. I've never seen one even close to that.

thanks to you owners for chiming in here - your comments are very helpful. I'd been seriously considering this guitar, mostly based on the roasted maple neck, but if the profile is comparable to a PRS wide/fat, then its not for me. I don't like the Fender "modern C" either; baja tele neck is closer to what I like, but not perfect. guess I'll keep looking for that perfect tele.

Cal Webway

Had my neck shaved last spring
(was having index finger probs)

Sounds great! No change in sound after the shave and haircut :)

thanks to you owners for chiming in here - your comments are very helpful. I'd been seriously considering this guitar, mostly based on the roasted maple neck, but if the profile is comparable to a PRS wide/fat, then its not for me. I don't like the Fender "modern C" either; baja tele neck is closer to what I like, but not perfect. guess I'll keep looking for that perfect tele.

It's been a while since I played a PRS with a wide/fat, but from my memory of them my Kotzen tele is a much chunkier neck.

david(j)

Silver Supporting Member
I can't believe it but I found one locally, and just got back from checking it out.

I really really liked it. Tones were great, switching was very cool.

The neck...was large but comfortable. Not sure how quick I'd adjust to playing it all the time. The frets were great. The intonation needed work, but I think he'd just recently got the guitar into the shop. Tuning was all over the place.

I don't know if I could pay $1400+ for one, but I did like it a lot.

Something to think about, for sure.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom