Who's got some of those killer clean/semi-dirty funk tones?

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Originally posted by ericb
I love the narrow definitions of what is and what isn't music! Have you heard or do you own

Freaky Styley
Uplift Mofo Party Plan
RHCP
Mother's Milk, etc

They have some of the best and most outrageous pure funk you'll ever hear. Just because they were punk doesn't mean that they can't play funk! I know Mark G (loudboy) liked Classic Rock ,etc and much more conservative music, and lord knows you have very narrow definitions of music Tag, but the old CP's is some of the best funk... INcubus before they got famous did absolutely phenomenal funk too but nowhere near as pure as the CP's... I grew up in Augusta GA a mile away from James Brown and grew up listening to Kool and the Gang, Bootsy ,George C etc and they're great but this is as good and better (TO ME) ;)

ERIC

I love almost all of it though! From BTO, to ABBA, to Benson to Sabbath, to Creed, to Audioslave, to Chic, Buddy Holly, Starland Vocal band, Three dog night, Bach, Ella, to B.B etc etc etc! :)

MikeyG

Silver Supporting Member
man there are so many amps that are good at that ... BF Fenders, Plexis, AC30s, even something like a Roland JC120.

Stopgo

Tomo,

What sort of settings are you liking on your Fuchs for funk? Strat and 335 :)

In fact I wouldn't mind hearing a run down of your favourite settings for your Fuchs . . . the sounds you are getting from that bad boy are some of my fav that I've heard from that amp!

Tomo

Originally posted by Stopgo
Tomo,

What sort of settings are you liking on your Fuchs for funk? Strat and 335 :)

In fact I wouldn't mind hearing a run down of your favourite settings for your Fuchs . . . the sounds you are getting from that bad boy are some of my fav that I've heard from that amp!

Sure.

Gain 4

Treble 7 (more than middle)

Middle 5 (middle)

Bass 4 (less than middle)

Presence 0-4

Reverb 1.8

Volume 4-5

I usually don't change anything.
Mostly SRV... ES335... I used to change
less bass and more treble for 335.
My amp got really clear, natural brightness
with full sound. Even if I set all 5s on treble
mid, bass... amp is still sound great.

So all you have to do is Play the guitar!
I use my guitar volume to control a bit
.,..but mostly my touch changes all volume
and gain. (It's free effect!) My tone (guitar)
is full all the time. Except 335's rear (7)

That's my setting. In general , more treble & less bass.
More treble you have - you can control your dynamics
and touch, you can get big tone. But if you have more
bass- sound like big but you'll get muddy, unclear tone
so that you 'll start hiting hard, this means you can drag
your time and......

What else? What can i do for you?

Once I start to play my guitar. I don't touch my amp.
Because I just need to concentrate my playing.

Simple is best for me.
I use this setting for my funk, jazz and blues.
Your hands -tone control! (free !)
Even all my clips are same setting.

Tomo

Stopgo

Excellent tutorial Tomo, thanks as always for your wisdom :)

What sort of OD settings do you like to dial in? I'm having trouble getting a good one, too nasally, not enough sing . . .

loudboy

Originally posted by ericb
I know Mark G (loudboy) liked Classic Rock ,etc and much more conservative music...

ERIC
I was brought up playing classic rock, but I'm about as far as being one of those old "Carl-type" classic rock Nazis as you can get and still be a part of that generation. A look at my CD collection will tell you that. From all the old standbys, to Bjork, to Garbage, to Buddy and Julie Miller, to NIN, to Erykah Badu, as long as it's something I like, it's all good, no matter the style. My job brings me in contact with about every possible style of music, every day.

I stated that I was editorializing, so it's all just IMHO. I just never got the RHCPs, it's as simple as that. Noisy and aggressive, w/o any depth to back it up, unlike Rage Against The Machine or Gang Of Four. Also, one of the worst singers to ever hit the airwaves. Which is not debatable... <vbg>

I'll stop now.

Loudboy

DerekMinnich

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by loudboy
I was brought up playing classic rock, but I'm about as far as being one of those old "Carl-type" classic rock Nazis as you can get and still be a part of that generation. A look at my CD collection will tell you that. From all the old standbys, to Bjork, to Garbage, to Buddy and Julie Miller, to NIN, to Erykah Badu, as long as it's something I like, it's all good, no matter the style. My job brings me in contact with about every possible style of music, every day.

I stated that I was editorializing, so it's all just IMHO. I just never got the RHCPs, it's as simple as that. Noisy and aggressive, w/o any depth to back it up, unlike Rage Against The Machine or Gang Of Four. Also, one of the worst singers to ever hit the airwaves. Which is not debatable... <vbg>

I'll stop now.

Loudboy

It is debatable(from opinionated points of views only), I LIKE Kiedis and I don't care what anyone says. The words "Best" and "Worst" have no place in music period......

Antero

I agree with Loudboy, who gets double props for citing Gang of Four ("sexless, white, metallic funk"... I love them so). I do like some of the older Peppers stuff (they're one of those things that I like without thinking it's good, neh?), but I don't consider it funk - it's funk inflected, but it's still more white-boy punk stuff than real hardcore funk. Funk is George Clinton, James Brown, Curtis Mayfield, all these dozens of old groups with insane rhythmic chop and little lines that leap out and stab you in the ear. I picked up this compilation of rare heavy funk cuts (It's called "Cold Heat: Heavy Funk Rarities." Buy it) and every guitarist and bassist on there wowed me in a way that RHCP just never do.

---

Funkwise, it's going to be more in the style of playing than the amp or guitar or what-have-you, though there are some mistakes possible. I saw George Clinton recently, the guitarists were running Dual and Triple Rectifiers (like, five halfstacks) and the guitar sound was weak and muddy. Go for something with great clarity, that's the main thing; keep the rhythm funky, the groove locked, and the syncopation wild, and don't play a solo.

Antero

Originally posted by DerekMinnich
It is debatable(from opinionated points of views only), I LIKE Kiedis and I don't care what anyone says. The words "Best" and "Worst" have no place in music period......
Well, that one isn't really debatable. His vocal skills are limited to white-man-rapping. I know a fellow who was in a pre-RHCP band with most of the early Peppers, too, and he explicitly told me that Kedis can't sing. Don't believe that tale? If you listen to the recent stuff, where he "sings," the man is autotuned to the point of sounding like a synthesizer, a half step away from Cher - the shifting is constant and obvious.

So you can like him, but the dude simply cannot sing.

DerekMinnich

Silver Supporting Member
Well....I don't really feel like debating about the Chili Peppers or Kiedis, it's been done before here and it just goes nowhere. Oh well, truthfully it doesn't really matter, to each his own, ya know?

Tomo...I'm still considering the Fuchs, thanks for your input! Hopefully someone will throw in something about the Divided by 13's because I am curious.

Ted Witcher

I'm never sure exactly what comes out of these threads about funk. I've seen/heard:

Funkadelic use Triple Rectos
Prince on the One Night Alone tour with a Bassman and on the Musicology run last year use a Mesa Heartbreaker (oh, and his guitarist Mike Scott a Genz Benz El Diablo)
a guitarist for Chaka Khan (maybe not funk, but about as R&B as you can get) play through a Strat into a Marshall
Tomo does the BF thing
etc...

There doesn't appear to be just one way to skin this cat. I'd love to try an FTR37 myself.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting...
When I saw Prince live many years ago...
he was playing his Tele copy through a JC120
(getting just the most incredible spanky-rubbery tones imaginable)...

He also had a many pedals running through it...
the only ones I could make out were a Boss Compressor & a Boss DS-1...

gushtone

Gold Supporting Member
I've used my 1965 Pro Reverb for funk with great success. Perfect threshold of breakup, and you're only ever a distortion or fuzz pedal away from an Ernie Isely wail. Killer.

Tag

Hey Derek......Vox AC 30 CC. Those funky clean, shimmering tones with chime on top. With a Tele or a Stratahoula...man, it just does not get any better. :AOK

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
My points of reference are music from Sly, James Brown, Wah Wah Watson, Rufus, Parliement/Funkadelic, AWB, ToP and so on. That's what comes to mind when I think of funk. And amp-wise, what comes to mind is virtually any amp with a big clean sound that's got a good snap to it. There are million of 'em. Fenders, Peaveys, Marshalls, Ampegs, Voxes, what have you. This is a no-brainer to me...

tonedrip

Leonc said:
My points of reference are music from Sly, James Brown, Wah Wah Watson, Rufus, Parliement/Funkadelic, AWB, ToP and so on. That's what comes to mind when I think of funk. And amp-wise, what comes to mind is virtually any amp with a big clean sound that's got a good snap to it. There are million of 'em. Fenders, Peaveys, Marshalls, Ampegs, Voxes, what have you. This is a no-brainer to me...

+ 1000 :AOK

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Leonc said:
+1

For small or medium sized clubs I use a BFSR, but for larger venues I prefer my Rivera KHR 100. Whatever my reservations about this head have been, it has proven itself to be absolutely perfect for funk.

Channel one goes from clean to all degrees of Fender type gain. The boost button provides even more gain and is perfect for kicking it into solo mode. On the 100 watt setting with four 12" speakers you can funk yourself to death. Add the 2 x 12 500 watt subwoofer (pictured beneath my two K212s) and you're in a whole new universe of clean headroom. Mild to agressive overdrive is at your foot's command.

If I were going out on tour with Funkadelic (or the Chilli Peppers), this is the rig I'd take. If I were touring with James Brown though, I'd just take the head and one 2 x 12.

stratzrus

Trending Topics