Who's guitar career did the best in 2016?

Clifford-D

Lots of super famous guitarists out there, and even more not as famous guitarists.

Who's career did the best to push the artist higher and higher regardless of status, or genre. Who's the mofo?

EricPeterson

Seems like John Mayer with the Dead had a big push this year.
This was my first thought, he expanded his vocabulary significantly, gained some serious accolades from other top players, in some respects quieted many naysayers, and I think has firmly established himself as a monster player, and sort of shed the teeny-bop thing that plagued him.

marvin cobain

at the end of 2015 Pasquale Grasso won (and deservedly so, being one of the most mindblowing jazz virtuosos I've ever seen on the guitar in any genre) the Wes Montgomery competition and I think he's now much more well known, so I guess he could be mentioned here

Clifford-D

I say Julian Lage. His album Arclight has gotten lots of attention as well as his playing. Downbeat recognizes him in the company of Metheny, Scofield, and Frisell.

Plus he is this generation's shining bright jazz guitarist . Probably the same in the bluegrass and solo acoustic world. He also put out his excellent Julian Lage Live in LA.

It's been a hell of a year for him.

slybird

It was hard to not notice Parquet Courts, Pollard's ESP Ohio, and Bun E Carlos' Greetings for BunEzuala being played at my local bar this year.

2HBStrat

Don't forget about Jimmy Herring. While he may not be well known to the general public, his work with Widespread Panic has given them new life (remember they were going to stop touring) and sold out shows.....

Arvidsson

As do famous girlfriends.
Well Doyle`s always had them hah! think it has more to do with him being a bad MF`er than trying to get exposure.... 15 or so years between albums doesnt scream PR-master either. It`s all about the music! Pretty sure we`ll never see 6 pages worth of ad riddled e-mails with everything from t-shirts to toothpicks from DB.

Misterbulbous

I'd say Mark Lettieri. He's doing a lot of cool stuff on social media, his latest album is great, and he's doing a lot of touring.

Trending Topics