Who’s making a good AC30 plugin?

I’m not fond of BIAS’ take on an AC30. It’s passable, but not great. I’m more than happy with Mercuriall at the moment for my Marshall flavors, but Vox is another staple sound for me. It doesn’t seem like anyone is really their own standalone AC circuit plugin.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I’m not fond of BIAS’ take on an AC30. It’s passable, but not great. I’m more than happy with Mercuriall at the moment for my Marshall flavors, but Vox is another staple sound for me. It doesn’t seem like anyone is really their own standalone AC circuit plugin.
Check out SGear factory presets F110-F115
You always have the option of swapping out the stock cabs to experiment!

Check out SGear factory presets F110-F115
You always have the option of swapping out the stock cabs to experiment!
It’s been a minute since I tried S-Gear but I don’t rememeber there being an AC30 at all. I’ll check it out. I have dozens of IRs to experiment with my plugins, not normally a fan of stock cabinets in these.

chrisjnyc

The Ac30 is pretty good in Bias and Helix Native. S Gear doesnt have an ac30, but they do have a cab with celestion blues.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
The Ac30 is pretty good in Bias and Helix Native. S Gear doesnt have an ac30, but they do have a cab with celestion blues.
The amp doesn't say VOX or have the aesthetics, but if you actually play the patches they sound pretty darn convincing.

Stock Patch, super quick clip:

Last edited:
any plugin in the market has a decent vox emulation, just check your impulse response and the EQ is fundamental, every amp has it's eq character

Gam59

Helix Native have 4 convincing Vox amp
AC-15
AC-30 with top boost
AC-30 Fawn normal channel
AC-30 Fawn bright channel

and something else close...

Matchless DC30 channel 1
Matchless DC30 channel 1
Matchless DC30 jumped

MaxTwang

Another nod to the TA-30 in Amplitube's Mesa collection. It's not a perfect AC but among Vox models it's pretty good.

bugzapper

I agree with those advocating Amplitube's Mesa Transatlantic (good for a lot of sounds, not just Vox-ish) and the Thermionik AC3O model, called "Vocal 30."

ltkojak

I've used S-Gear's Stealer to create a jangly preset to go on a Beatles' Tribute band project, where I replaced the parts originally recorded with a real AC-30 from early '70s. So, I know it's possible... and that's the beauty of S-Gear: With just a few amp models and tweaking a few knobs, many different tones can be created, literally just a few knob turns away. Try it to believe it! ;)

feet

Gold Supporting Member
since we're talking about this again, i'm not completely sure. i've heard some wack ones, some mediocre ones and one a really like, but nothing i've heard nails what i hear from the ac15hw sitting right next to the computer. and it is worth noting that i'm not interested in those stereotypical vox sounds, so i'm not the best source of info here.

all that said, i'm using the softube green amp, too. i like it fine but i don't know if it nails the sounds of yesteryear that people are after. of the amplitube selections, the british copper is my preference, but i'll take the dr z over the mesa and anything over the original vox model in there. but i'm excited to see what a5 brings next week. hopefully at least one of those options is on par with softube or better. s gear didn't vox for me and i never went the helix route, but i've ever heard from hx is that tired pw edge jangle with a gang of effects on it. i'm sure it's fine, though, just can't afford the hardware or software.

worth mentioning that the vox cabs in wall of sound are super bright and jingle jangly if that's what you're into. they all have that thing and i can't dial it out. even the greenback cabs sound brighter and thinner than the softube cab, which is kinda warm, as vox cab irs go.

that overloud demo didn't sound bad, but holy crap is that gui trash. not only is it butt ass ugly, but why are there 40 knobs on it and none of them normal volume, top boost volume or tone cut? it seems like the sounds are there, but i'll never understand that. you'll note the liberal use of 4x12s in that demo, too.

Bigsby

I'm very hopeful that the Kuassa vox emulation that is supposedly in the works is going to be the one. I like their Matchlock fender amp.

Trending Topics