Who's making a single string capo these days???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gennation, Feb 5, 2017.

1. gennation

gennation Member

Say I only wanted a capo on the 1st fret of the G string and a capo on the 2nd fret of the D string for a partial Open E tuning (leaving the E B A and low strings in standard tuning). Does anyone make a single string capo so I could position two correctly to achieve that tuning?

This would be great for playing straight up (non-open tuning) blues chord progression along the low E and A strings but having the D G B E set for open E tuning for the slide filler and lead stuff.

Anyone have a line on such a thing?...before I start hacking up my capos ;)

2. Modulator

Modulator Member

Spidercapo could be used like this.

3. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Supporting Member

Spider won't do two different frets.

Maybe the capo clip. Seems complicated to me.

4. gennation

gennation Member

Interesting. I would need two, for my example, but that's cool. I look into it further.

5. De Batz

De Batz Member

Couldn't help but read the title and ask, 'is this a euphemism?' Turns out not. This post is a bit redundant, really...

6. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Tune all but the G string down a half step, put a regular capo on the first fret. Then put a Spider-Capo on the 3rd fret on the D string.

Or just tune G up a half step and D up a whole step...

7. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

OP, have you considered that only the open strings will be tuned differently? The intervals between each string will not change.

If you were to capo the G up to G# and the D up to E, your guitar would be tuned to EAEG#BE if you strum the open strings. You're not changing the tension of the strings, so as soon as you start fretting strings the old intervals will be back. Placing a slide across the first three strings would yield a minor triad (b3, 5, 1) instead of the major triad (3, 5, 1) you say you're looking for.

The best way to do this on the fly would be with a retuning device such as Scruggs banjo tuners, a Hipshot Trilogy bridge, or even (gasp!) the Gibson Robot / Min-E-Tune system.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Never tried them but seems like a neat idea.

9. gennation

gennation Member

By Jove, you are correct! Not sure why I didn't catch that :/ I'll check those suggestions out.

Right now I'm trying to find a newer Variax so I can have a spare guitar on stage for normal tunings (if something happens to my primary guitar), to pick up for open tuning tunes, and as well...mount a synth pickup on it for non-guitar stuff, like a Swiss Army Guitar of sorts. But pulling it all together isn't happening right now so I'm looking for alternative ideas until I find the right Variax with open tuning capabilities and the bridge within spec for the synth pickup.

Thanks for catching that though, I was about ready to contact Capo Clips!

10. DisasterArea

I have one of the first-gen Variax 500s and it's a very cool guitar. The newer models are even better, I assume, but even the older ones are great for alt tunings. Make sure you get the required interface to plug it in to Variax Workbench, though, because you can't edit the tunings on the guitar itself. There are folks who have just used the piezo saddles to run a 13-pin output, but there's enough clearance on most of the models to allow a GK or Triple Play to clear.

11. rodeodee

rodeodee Member

I have no affiliation, but there's something called fretlocks I've been meaning to check out for a while. It's basically individual string/fret clamps you can position anywhere.

12. gennation

gennation Member

Hmmm, are you saying the piezo saddles can be used in place of a GK3? I'll dig around on my own by is the 13-pin standard on the Variax or a mod?

13. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

As much as I hate that Gibson robot tuning system, the first time I saw it I thought it would be perfect for people who use a lot of alternate tunings.

DisasterArea likes this.
  14. DisasterArea

It's a mod. If I recall correctly, you can tap into them and then use something like the GraphTech GHOST Hexpander board to get MIDI out to a 13-pin. I think the Variax 300 / 600 were easier to use for this since their piezo saddles were on six separate wires rather than a ribbon cable. I don't know how the newer models are but the older 500 and 700 definitely use a flat ribbon cable that is no fun to mess with.

15. gennation

gennation Member

I had thought about that too.

16. gennation

gennation Member

Thanks!