Who's making the best FRFR right now? Need one for my AxeFX III, my EV ZLX12P just ain't cuttin' it...

SinglecutGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Title pretty much sums it up. I have an Axe III, and it sounds terrific with a pair of Shure SRH440 headphones (they are $99 "mixing/flat response" headphones). I've been running it into my powered EV ZLX12P, and I just can't deal with the sterile sound that comes from it. I love the speaker for live monitor use, and have gigged with them for years, but when it comes to being an FRFR style speaker for the Axe III, it's just not where I need it to be.

I don't want something cheap, I want something good. Who's making the best ones right now, and who has compared multiple FRFR's to know that their recommendation is the right one?

Title pretty much sums it up. I have an Axe III, and it sounds terrific with a pair of Shure SRH440 headphones (they are $99 "mixing/flat response" headphones). I've been running it into my powered EV ZLX12P, and I just can't deal with the sterile sound that comes from it. I love the speaker for live monitor use, and have gigged with them for years, but when it comes to being an FRFR style speaker for the Axe III, it's just not where I need it to be.

I don't want something cheap, I want something good. Who's making the best ones right now, and who has compared multiple FRFR's to know that their recommendation is the right one?
Forget about the term "FRFR" and go buy the best powered PA monitor cabinet you can find/afford. Seriously.

The truth is that what you need is accuracy, headroom and linearity to make you guitar sound right, and those qualities are just about perfectly correlated to price in the powered monitor space. The PA guys have been chasing the best sound quality in their wedges for decades, so you'll get more for your money from them than by chasing the cheaper alternatives.

Last edited:

thedankriffs

I have been running a pair of Focal Alpha 50 monitors along with a Yamaha HS8S subwoofer with absolutely smashing success.
Clear, articulate tone. And stereo effects sound next level.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
For home use?

I love my Neumann KH120 studio monitors , sounds incredible. Not cheap, but worth it.

Fro68

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Xitone powered 12"wedge that sounds great. Really, you can make any good flat sounding monitor sound good with the AxeIII.

SinglecutGuy

Silver Supporting Member
This will be more for home use as I’m not gigging at the moment. But I don’t want studio monitors, I already have those (Rokit 5’s), and those don’t do a great job, either.

Billinder33

I'm not an expert in this area like many here, but what I've learned in my limited AITR tinkering is that having 12" cones in a guitar cabinet form-factor generally has the best shot at replicating a satisfying guitar tone.

Never heard one in person, but if it was my money and money was no object, I'd probably take a shot at a Mission Engineering Gemini 1 or Gemini 2.

mojah

I had those EV Zlx's for a while. They are not flat at all... Sounded great with program material but sucked for guitar. I like my JBL Prx's but prefer to run one channel with no cab through a tube amp and a 2X12..

marshall2553

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't had it long, but I'm liking my EV PXM-12MP so far. It's compact, coaxial, has a wooden enclosure, sounds better (flatter?) than my QSC K10 and the street price is cheaper than a CLR (plus you can probably find a dealer that will discount it even more).

J.T.

Silver Supporting Member
Not the best I'm sure but in my home studio I use a pair of Headrush FRFR 108s and a pair of JBL 305P MkIIs hooked into a Behringer Control 2USB. With this setup I can switch between the pairs, run them both at once, or use Headphones into the behringer. All this fits on my Studio Desk.

FPFL

Building my own... parts on the way.

One of the new Celestion F12-200 speakers into an Avatar Forte 1x12 cab (side vented).

Never used either before but I've been impressed by the reviews and think this could be a real easy button. FWIW, I prefer passive speakers, b/c I like the failure domain of my gear to be narrow. Everything breaks eventually and not always on schedule.

I don't care if its 100% accurate, I care if it 1. sounds great at stage volume and 2. is in the ballpark of the tone intent.

FRFRs work great at home practice volume but are hard to get right at stage volume for me, and each IR was its own journey. IRs when recording are amazing, but translating for live was work I didn't enjoy.

I've been using only guitar cabs and speakers for live for years, and that will always work, This Celestion + cab is a toe in the water with a different angle. Hopefully it works! Might not, worst case I put in a regular guitar speaker.

Last edited:

Mark Al

PowerCab212, that’s what I settled on after trying all sort of FRFRs. Speaker modes are great as one can mismatch speakers, at the same time one can monitor the rest of band in FRFR mode, super versatile.

the swede

aint no such thing as "best frfr". There is a whole bunch of enclosures/cabinets that all have an effect on the sound the speaker mounted in them creates. No hiding or escape from that.

I know!!!! Lets just start a new sound tradition by hanging the speakers by the wires from the ceiling... but then there's that damn room.... :D

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not an expert in this area like many here, but what I've learned in my limited AITR tinkering is that having 12" cones in a guitar cabinet form-factor generally has the best shot at replicating a satisfying guitar tone.

I'm going to agree with this, AND, OP, you need to decide what it is you are trying to hear at home, a good studio/mic'd tone coming out of full range speakers, or the sound of a conventional guitar amp next to you.

You already know what studio monitors and PA speakers, aka FRFR, sound like, I don't think a different but similar solution will be that much different honestly.

Top Bottom