• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Who's recabbed a SF Fender amp in a "vintage correct" pine cab?

infiniteposse

Hi all-

I've got a 1979 Vibrolux that I like a lot. It's been fully gone through and it's got a lovely, open sound and just feels very musical to me. However, it weighs a ton and I think this is likely down to the MDF material used in this era's cabs. I can't imagine it's a great material sonically, so it seems like it might be an interesting idea to re-house the amp in a nicer cab from Mojotone or the like. I know tons of folks have done it, I'm just not sure I've ever read a concentrated thread of their experiences.

I'm curious to hear from those who've done this and what the results were like.

Thanks!

Lee

0018g

I put a Showman in a 15" combo cab made out of solid pine(other than the baffle). Turned out ok. I had a '64 deluxe in for a recap at the time, so I measured everything and copied the construction. Those finger joints Fender used make one hella solid cab.

I'm guessing the baffle makes more difference in the sound, and I'll bet even that is limited. It did make a relatively light, very solid, and attractive amp.

BlueRiff

Hi all-

I've got a 1979 Vibrolux that I like a lot. It's been fully gone through and it's got a lovely, open sound and just feels very musical to me. However, it weighs a ton and I think this is likely down to the MDF material used in this era's cabs. I can't imagine it's a great material sonically, so it seems like it might be an interesting idea to re-house the amp in a nicer cab from Mojotone or the like. I know tons of folks have done it, I'm just not sure I've ever read a concentrated thread of their experiences.

I'm curious to hear from those who've done this and what the results were like.

Thanks!

Lee
Are you sure it's all MDF? I had a late 70's SF Vibrolux and the baffle board was definitely MDF, but the rest of the cab was some type of wood - it looked like pine to me because of the grain and softness of the wood. MDF baffles are terrible - muddy. I've played MDF cabs with good ply baffles and it is much better than an MDF baffle with whatever wood on the cab.

Laurent Brondel

Silver Supporting Member
Late '70s SF's cabs were built with pine ply, and since the early '70s. The baffle is not MDF but particle board, and has been since the BF era (brownfaces still had a ply baffle).
Pine ply is a bit heavier than solid pine, for sure. But the added weight is also in the detachable velvroed grill cloth frame, it's essentially like having 2 baffles.
MDF is actually not a bad baffle material, it's very neutral.
A Mojotone cab will be lighter for sure, what speakers do you have in the amp now?

zenas

Honestly I've never noticed this big difference in tone between the two styles of cabs. I've got amps both ways and I build cabs. If I thought it was worth my time I'd recab my silverfaces.

Yeah like Laurent B said the sawdust/glue board baffle was standard in the BF amps too.

infiniteposse

Thanks so much for the replies and for clearing up some misconceptions I'd clearly latched onto at some point.

The speakers currently in the amp are modern-era Jensen P10r. They sound great and they're what the amp came with when I bought it. I've looked at some threads on other speakers, but it doesn't feel broken and I'm not sure what more I'd want from a speaker. They're very clean at the volumes I play at (low) and they've got nice high-end detail and rather firm lows as well. Do you ask because of weight?

Thanks again for the help. It's appreciated.

forum_crawler

If it is an open back, then the material of the cab won't matter as much as you think.

If you like the amp and want to make it look nicer then go for it.

poonman66

Silver Supporting Member
A typical aftermarket pine cab for a VR shouldn't weigh more than about 10 lbs, which is approx the same weight as original VR cabs from the BF-era IME.

I've rehoused many a SF chassis and do find the replacement cabs to sound a bit more "lively". YMMV however. Here's an early SF Super that I blackfaced and rehoused several years ago...

infiniteposse

Great idea on pulling the chassis. I'll do that in the next couple of days and see how much the cab with speakers actually weighs.

swiveltung

Great idea on pulling the chassis. I'll do that in the next couple of days and see how much the cab with speakers actually weighs.
Yes, pull the chassis and see. Some pine cabs are VERY light. I agree with the material not effecting the tone that much on open back cabs. I've had good sounding SF or BF cabs.
I've done several vintage correct pine cab combos in the past. I love JD Newell's cabs for this. Not bad prices either , although he typically has a waiting list and it may take a month -six weeks. He knows his stuff too. I once got a replacement cab for a brown Vibrolux 1 x 12 from him. When it came I was disappointed because he only used 4 speaker studs. I looked it up and sure enough, the brown Vlux only had 4!
JD uses lightweight northern pine. One cab I got from him I could lift with one little finger. Damn thing weighed nothing. I bought a cab elsewhere once that came out of southern us. The pine they used was southern yellow pine.... very heavy!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom