Who's recording setup would you most like to own (that you could run)?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Terry McInturff, Jan 4, 2019.

1. jmoose

jmoose Member

You seen this?

Teal_66, enharmonic and OctalSocket like this.
  2. jmoose

jmoose Member

That was Electric Ladyland studio B.

Brauer moved out about a year ago, not sure where he is now.

Maybe obviously the room with the SSL 9000 is still there, call 'em and book it!

OctalSocket and sws1 like this.
  3. sws1

sws1 Member

After spending the last day doing some home acoustic guitar recording, I've decided to go with any room that comes with a built-in engineer who can moves mics around for me when I'm trying to play.

4. '62 Stratmaniac

'62 Stratmaniac Member

I'd go with the Record Plant, Electric Ladyland, Sun, Chess, Sound City, and wherever the Wrecking Crew and Motown's famous sidemen The Funk Brothers made their magic. Abbey Road and Olympic in London would be cool too, as well as Muscle Shoals.

5. Radius

Radius Supporting Member

Home of Les Paul, Lambeau Field , Harley Davidson
    How cool would it be to record some modern compositions with big guitars at Motown?

6. joevacc

joevacc Supporting Member

I think know that console intimately! This is me sometime in the late '90's Getting ready for its install in upstate NY!

[​IMG]

Anthony Newcomb likes this.
  7. louderock

louderock Member

I've worked at Dave Grohl's Studio 606 several times. Great console and great sounding room. The vibe is super chill, also. They could use a few more mics (pair or U67's) but the outboard gear is great. Loads of amps and drums.

I also really like EastWest which is formerly Cello which is formerly United Western. Tons of history and all the rooms are great. I've recorded in each of the studios and they all sound really good.

OctalSocket and Anthony Newcomb like this.
  8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

How very cool! It was a great console. I hear they did a pretty big refurbishment when they put it in. True?

Bob

9. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Hans Zimmer
    [​IMG]

Trent Reznor
    [​IMG]

Junkie XL
    [​IMG]

*These pics only show a portion of what their full studios encompass. I’d take either. And yes, I could run them :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    OctalSocket likes this.
  10. joevacc

joevacc Supporting Member

Yes, we had it running on another property for a few years before we moved it from Germantown to Rhinebeck, NY. I cut off all of the long-frame patch bays and terminated all of the tie-lines to multipin connectors on the back of the console. We made bays that were remote in the control room. Of course every single module was gone through and cleaned to within an inch of its life. We also added time controls to it for the RCA plate the studio has.

This is one of those pieces of gear that is really special. My time recording on it is limited but every thing that I’ve done on it was just fantastic. As a matter of fact, the first session I did on it was a hot and nasty, mix as you go recording. When we played the mixes in the car on the way home we couldn’t believe our ears.

What studio was your picture taken? I sent it to the guy that owns it.

Small world.

11. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

That pic was shot in the audio control room of Studio 6 of the Christian Broadcasting Network in Virginia Beach, VA. Studio 6 is a network TV studio. When I arrived in 1981 the company had a pair of those consoles and an earlier 8024 with 1073s. The Studio 6 console was used to mix live music for years. It also handled chores on a soap opera and many other shows. I spent years and hours on that console. The six buttons on the fader row below the center section were used to trigger broadcast carts on live shows. That panel was a custom installation done by our engineering department and it is the way I've been able to find these three consoles in other studios. I think Winmark Sound Studio bought the console from us and then sold it to you.

Oh, and by the way, the 8024 console we had had the damper controls and indicator for our EMT 240 gold foil reverb mounted over its center section. They were all great consoles but the two 8058s were the nicest sounding I've worked on. I too have tapes from that period that are amazing. I wish I could find one of those huge monitor knobs from an 8000 series to remember that console by.

We had thirteen of those ATR-102 tape recorders you see in the background and a pair of MM-1200s. The ATR-102 was the most stable deck and easiest to edit on that Ive ever worked on as well. I've acquired a cue knob to remember my hours on it.

[​IMG]

Bob

joevacc and Terry McInturff like this.
  12. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

13. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

I mix because I don’t have the funds to pay someone else to do it. it’s not that I don’t have enough gear to do it, as you can see below. What I’d like to see a pro take a regular DAW (logic, Cakewalk, etc) and show how they would mix using that and the plugins that come with it. It needs to cover more genres than one as well, because not everyone is mixing a hip-hop, or female singing pop tune.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

joevacc likes this.
  14. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

Spent a few days recording at Electrical Audio in Chicago a couple years ago. I could live there.

15. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

16. BONGKARMA

BONGKARMA Member

Just a heads up. The Fidelitorium is in Kernersville North Carolina.

17. OctalSocket

OctalSocket Member

I’d settle for more Motown from Motown.

joevacc likes this.
  18. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

darn it! I wondered if I got that wrong. Thank you!