• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Who's running two TS9's?

TheGrooveking

I was wondering how many others might be running dual TS9's out there? I've been doing it for a few months now and really dig the interplay between the two. I set one of a very light overdrive, more of a boost and the other with more overdrive, together running one into the other is killer!

I know many players stack pedals, but was wondering how many may be doing it with two TS9's.

TheGrooveking

Franklin

Gold Supporting Member
I've done it, but with a DGTM and an SD1. I agree! I used the DGTM as the low gain and the SD1 as the med gain, and it sure was fun. I believe Trey Anistasio still uses two modded TS9 at once.

McGinnis

Ive done it with an Analog Man TS9/808 into an Analog Man Silver. Didn't really care for the silver so I let it go. I do use the one I have now as alead boost into 2 fuzz faces.

benjammin

Yeah, Trey is notorious for this setup. Mike might correct me, but I believe one was modded to TS808 specs for the overdrive, and the Silver mod was used more for the clean boost that you described. I think the boost was always on, and the 808 was on for grittier stuff. But hey, I was too out of my mind at Phish shows to really remember :p

Ed Reed

I've done it before, it works ok. My real preference is a Honey Bee boosting a BB Preamp. A great pair.

Wooley

I was wondering how many others might be running dual TS9's out there? I've been doing it for a few months now and really dig the interplay between the two. I set one of a very light overdrive, more of a boost and the other with more overdrive, together running one into the other is killer!

I know many players stack pedals, but was wondering how many may be doing it with two TS9's.

TheGrooveking
I used to do it with an Analogman Silver-modded TS into an Analogman Brown-modded TS. Great, great tone. Unfortunately, during a time I wasn't gigging, I loaned the Silver to a friend who was, and he never gave it back (it's hard to make someone understand how you can need a single OD back when you have 30 or so). I switched over to the Foxrox ZIM and that worked just as well.

thewex

Yeah, Trey is notorious for this setup. Mike might correct me, but I believe one was modded to TS808 specs for the overdrive, and the Silver mod was used more for the clean boost that you described. I think the boost was always on, and the 808 was on for grittier stuff. But hey, I was too out of my mind at Phish shows to really remember :p
Being a Phish fan, I used this set up for probably 7 years. It works great! I've since moved away from it, but it was always awesome for me.

I believe Trey used 2 Silvers on his most recent tours. One always set to a lower gain, and the other to add even more gain. Prior i think it was just 2 808s used in the same fashion.

drolling

Hey GT! I stole that idea from an old Brian Seltzer Hot Licks video. 2 TS9s a wah, and a couple of digital delays made up my ENTIRE board back then:eek:!!

After joining up here, everything changed, of course:rotflmao

Now I've got a few single pedals that cost more than my entire rig (minus git/amp) did!

But I was listening to an old tape the other night & the drive tones were actually pretty fxxkin' good;)

-analog-

2 TS808s before and a TS9/TS808 setup, both combos sounded great as singles BUT they stack well!. The Trifecta for me was TS9, TS808 and a Jacques tube blower all at once..

Franklin

Gold Supporting Member
Here's weird for you. I ditched the DGTM and an SD1 combo I loved with one Zendrive. I needed space and really like using my Beano boost into a already breaking up 65' DRRI for a boost. But the combo of the DGTM and an SD1 was awesome, and I find I don't really use the Zendrive very much. I use it to change the tone a little or for a little compression for slide playing. I keep the gain low on the Zen and vol a hair above unity.

I am ready to kick my POG off the board, it's a novelty that I use for one tune and very little else. Damn decisions! :)

John Thigpen

Silver Supporting Member
John Jorgenson used to run two Tubescreamers with the Hellecasters. I thought that I read that he set one pretty bright, and the other pretty bassy (perhaps I should say less bright), and would cascade them when he really wanted over the top distortion.

John

B_of_H

too much mid boost IMO for humbuckers but not bad on singles.

i'm not a huge fan of that particular tone. I use a ts9 specs BYOC screamer into a BSIABII or my amp depending on stage volume. I tried the ts9 into a keely ts9 and hated it.

giggedy

I like my ts9 silver, but I like it best when used with my other drives - see sig.

and yes, I'm excited that Phish might get back together.

Franklin

Gold Supporting Member
What about the Menatone Fish Factory?? Isn't that two TS varients in one pedal? I think it's a Red Snapper and Blue Collar.