Who's the best NOS tube dealer's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by swankmotee, Jun 22, 2005.

1. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

Hey guy's,
    Just wanted to get some help with hunting for some old EL34's and needed some pointer's on who would be the best guys to talk to. Have been looking around but haven't been to everyone yet and just wanted to make sure I didn't miss the best ones. Would like to get someone willing to talk to me and answer my questions since the prices are so high and I want to make sure they get the proper "voltage" checks done. Any help would be appreciated!:)

2. GM1

GM1 Member

Gregg Levy "Hi Test" no question.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Greg's one of the best ;)

4. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

i like Mike at KCANOSTubes.com and I also like Doug at dougstubes.com, although Mike usually seems to have more of a selection of NOS tubes.

5. tclardy

tclardy Member

I have bought quite a few tubes from him. He is honest, ships stuff pretty fast. He stands behind his products, I had a small problem one time on a nos tube I bought and he fixed me right up. Highly recommended.

Tim

6. davebc

davebc Member

Ya beat me to the punch.I always really enjoy working with Greg.
    Greg's more like my nos advisor. He does it full time,his prices are great,and his inventory is HUGE!
    I've delt with a lot of nos tube dealers,Greg's been the most knowlegable,not just brand type stuff,but actual HANDS ON!
    That's the main difference and the clincher for me.He'll continue to get all my nos buz.

7. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Gregg Levy at High test
    Mike at KCA NOS Tubes
    (Willie) Lord Valve NBS Electronics
    Charlie at Vacuum Tube Valley

:)

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I have bought from KCA a few times and Mike is great.

Levy was highly reccomended to me by a pal, I called him once and we shot the sheet for a while, very nice VERY knowledgable guy with a small arsenal of NOS tubes.

Some of the best deals can be had here in the ads and sometimes on fleebay but that is always a risk.

The thing to keep in mind is that not all NOS tubes sound great in all circuits. We have been doing blind test for the past 3 weeks in my Germino, Top Hat and Dr.Z and sometimes you can be surprised.
    ALSO, it is often a combination of tubes that will get your nipples poppin.

Find a friend that has a collection and start experimenting with your rig with you playing, that is the best way to do it.

Levy will tune your amp with you playing it but he charges a fee for this service.

FWIW in my experience with NOS tubes you can not go wrong with Mullard, Telefunken and Amperex, that is for 12AX7's.
    They may not all work in V1 but they will shine somewhere that is for sure.
    Nothing like giving the amp an NOS enema I always say.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

blue strat (Mike at KCA) is my numero uno for tubes, both NOS and new manufacture.

10. BPlexico

BPlexico Member

I have been very happy with KCA. Mike is super to deal with, patient, thoughtful and helpful in his replies.

Occasionally I have bought from Doug at Doug's Tube and he has been great as well.

And Orlando - who sells tubes occasionally on this Forum is wonderful too!

-- Barr

11. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

+1 on both counts . I was totally underwhelmed by GT's 12AX "Mullard reissue " until I tried it with a Brimar 6v6 . That combo in the 5F2 Allen I built was "get a room" ;) .

12. jec

jec Member

+1 for Mike at kcanostubes.com

Super nice and very helpful...

13. mkg

mkg Member

Yep, Mike K at KCA is one of the best if not the best.

14. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

Thanx gents for all your comments and yes I had already spoken with Levy and he definitely knows more about "Mullards" than anybody I've spoken to so far and he is willing to test them at proper "Plexi" voltages. Most of the others are hesitant with that issue which is understandable but when you are plunking down that kind of jing it is nice to know that they will be FULLY tested. I definitely am going to retube my three 100wt heads with NOS because as we all know the new stuff just can't touch the originals! Thanx again for your help on the subject and keep the commentary coming.:cool: