Whos tried the Throbak overdrive boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cuz/karl, Jan 19, 2006.

1. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Anybody got any info?

2. cuz/karl

Anyone know of any other clones other than the Proanalog.

3. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have the Prescription Electronics RX Overdriver.

4. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Do a search here for riffpowers post about the D*A*M Riffdriver. I have the same pedal on order except mine will be called "Colourdriver" From riffpowers remarks this is a dead on replica of the early 70's Colorsound Overdriver. It even looks very similar. David Main is tops in creating vintage replicas of the classic British dirt boxes. www.stompboxes.co.uk. And the price is very, very competitive. Email David and see what I mean about his work, knowledge of the golden age of dirt pedals and his prices!!

5. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I have the Throbak and dig it a LOT. I have only compared it to a fairly low cost clone I got on Ebay, so I can't tell you how it compares to the Pro Analog, /13 Joyride or Prescription. What I can tell you is it delivers the goods and is very versatile with the extra tweaks Jon has added. The pre gain switch allows you to crank up the bass but still keep it relatively tight, even at high gain levels. The switchable extra germanium stage gives you a bit more gain, compression and germanium mojo. Both these options are switchable so you can use the stock circuit if you like. I think the tweaks really make this an incredibly versatile pedal, you can even use this as a "faux attenuator" for lower volume tones that sound really good. I'm using mine as a sort of gritty boost right now, running it into a Hotcake (the Hotcake I'm still on the fence about). It has the same gain pattern that this design is known for, it stays fairly clean until about 3 o'clock on the gain knob and then it gets very fuzz-like in a hurry. I also have a Throbak Stone Bender that is a great MKII clone with some very useable tweaks....
    :AOK

6. erksin

erksin Member

The Throbak ODB sounds REALLY good from the clips - definitely on my list of boxes to try...

7. cuz/karl

I'm realy thinking of tring one too.

8. playon

playon Supporting Member

Reviving this thread from the grave... anyway I just got my Throbak Overdrive Boost in the mail and it sounds killer. I like simple pedals so it's a bit on the tweaky side for me, but there are a ton of good sounds in it, and they all seem very musical. It's a little hard to decide what to use it for, since it can do clean boost, treble boost, fuzz, overdrive, etc. What I love about it is the medium grit sounds, both Silicon mode (smooth, there are COT50 sounds in there, but more versatile) and the funkier Germanium distortion. It sounds great at home, I'm pretty stoked and can't wait to try it on a gig. I almost want to buy two of them, to set them up differently.

9. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I'm still waiting on my Honey Bee, I have a feeling the Throbak set for a gritty boost will kill before the Bee.....actually, I'm sure my Throbak Stone Bender will do great in that role as well :BOUNCE

10. carltonh

carltonh Member

I just looked up Thobak for the first time and the sound clips sound killer. But here's a question. The ODB sounds like it might have enough gain, and have the option to have tight enough bass response to play in a high gain progressive metal style (Dream Theater, etc.) but with a sonic fuzz twist. If it can do this, this would seem like a very tempting and versatile option for tons of sounds. So can it do this, or does it still cut too much of the fundamental note bass response for metal riffs that include lots of palm muting on the low strings?

11. playon

playon Supporting Member

It doesn't cut the low end at all, if you flip the switch on top of the pedal to the right, it's full-bandwidth. If you have the switch to the left, it cuts the low end before it gets to the overdrive/distortion section. But there is an internal trim pot that you can set to decide how much of the lows are cut when you do engage the switch.
    Then you also have the post-distortion EQ, bass and treble, which are voiced very musically. It's a pretty flexible pedal.