Who's turkey hunting this spring?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dwoverdrive, Apr 22, 2016.

1. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

Every year the only thing that distracts me from my guitar nerdery is spring turkey hunting. I came close to three gobblers on opening weekend of shotgun here in eastern Nebraska but they were just out of range for my comfort. I'm headed out tomorrow and the weather is supposed to cooperate.
    Wondering how many of our TGP members spend time in the turkey woods......

2. WoodenDuckMaker

WoodenDuckMaker Member

I'll be turkey hunting at Stater Bros. Hunting for $0.99 per pound.

Campfired and dwoverdrive like this.
  3. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I normally do but populations have yet to recover from the recent drought. I'm leaving them alone for a year or two.
    We hunt Rio Grandes here which is a little different than easterns. Lots of open space and those suckers can RUN! You really have to know where to set up to be successful.

4. dwoverdrive

Im somewhat near the river here and we have pretty much a good mix of Easterns, Merriams, and hybrids of the two. So much that you cant really tell what the subspecies is. The Easterns are always the big heavy birds though.

SPROING! likes this.
  5. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I've never hunted either of those. Just the local Rios.
    I have seen some much healthier flocks this year so I'm hoping maybe I can go in the fall if they have good broods this spring.
    I haven't had smoked turkey in a while.

6. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I would like to get out this spring and get one, I doubt I will make it though.

7. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

These two jakes hung around my mom's place for a couple of years. They got quite tame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

How do wild turkeys taste compared to farm raised? I had a Grouse dinner and it was the best poultry, I've ever eaten.

dwoverdrive likes this.
  9. hogy

hogy Member

No comparison. Unlike factory raised birds, they actually have a taste.

10. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Well, depends on what they're finding to eat.

This is kinda like eating catfish growing in filthy water versus growing in clean water. Or mullet.

All the local guys put out corn for weeks before they intend to take turkeys around me. Maybe a little to tame them but more, to reduce the wild taste.

I hate to see them hunted too heavily around me (and don't like to see the piles of corn) because they're marvelous for keeping insect varmints under rein - more so when they're hungry.

11. LPBlue

LPBlue Member

Where I live you can bag as many turkeys as you like with a bumper. I can't count the number of times I've had to get out and chase away a flock of bird brains just to get home. They truly are stupid birds.

The worst of it are the deer. I've only hit one and it was with my pickup...not a mark on the truck save for a clean spot on the bumper where it hit the deer in the ass and sent it tumbling down the road. The deer got up and ran into the woods so I guess we both got off lucky.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  12. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

They're very lean and can dry out badly if not cooked properly.
    I do find that diet has an impact on them. Ones that feed at my uncle's cattle feeders taste pretty good. The ones down by the river that eat grasshoppers all summer can be a little bitter.

13. Tony Foran

That's what I figured. The one Grouse I ate was soooo good. They seem like they would be perfect for soup kitchens for the needy.

There are so many of them and it would a good nutritious meal. Same goes for Canada Geese.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  14. dwoverdrive

They taste great but their bodies don't look familiar to a domestic turkey at all. Very long and less plump. Leg meat is really lean and full of tendons though so you have to work around that.

15. dwoverdrive

I'm headed out in the morning although I go with my dad who doesn't go as early as I would like. Big risk of bumping birds on the way in but oh well.

16. hogy

hogy Member

I like "wild taste", but I realize I'm in the minority with that.

17. Tony Foran

It's 100% better than the tasteless crap they sell in grocery stores. You wonder why you have to "put some gravy on that SOB".

18. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

Saw lots of birds during my recent foray but no luck. Lots of near misses. Toms pretty henned up and hard to turn. Had the old adage that if you think there isn't anything coming and want to leave, wait a bit longer proven yet again. Stood up to leave one spot just in time to surprise a trio of jakes coming around the corner. Fun to get out though. See more turkey hunting than any other hunting I do. Lots of waterfowl, cranes, deer at close range, this year added bear and a lone wolf.

dwoverdrive likes this.
  19. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

I am a pretty good turkey caller, I actually called in a boss hen who stood on the toe of my hunting buddy's boot cackling.
    Two hours later I put a really pretty gobbler 12ft in front of him.
    I have one big Rio Grande Gobbler from the SE Oklahoma Kiamichi and the one I shot on a farm in northern Missouri was an Eastern genetic. Beards over 10" big spurs. I made a necklace with my spurs and some turquoise nuggets, one of my favorite pieces of jewelry.
    I saw over 300 Merriams down in the "Dry Cimmaron" area of Northern New Mexico/Oklahoma Panhandle Black Mesa area. I would love to have one of those pretty gobblers one of these days.
    Still trying to get a gobbler with a bow. I got a hen with my bow during the fall archery deer & turkey season in Missouri several years ago, but getting a gobbler so far, pretty tough hunt

20. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

Oh yea, I'll be hunting them.

[​IMG]

dwoverdrive likes this.