Who's using a Barber Small Fry and how do you like it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Deaj, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Hello all,

I had an opportunity to demo a Barber Small Fry yesterday and my initial impression was very good. I'm just wondering how those of you who have a Barber Small Fry are getting along with it after some time. Thanks!

2. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

What kind of sounds are you getting?

3. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I've been using mine for a couple of months now for smooth classic rock crunch with the Fralin SP43 bridge pickup in my Strat into a Carr Mercury. Gain at 3:00, Dynamics at 9:00, EQ'd to taste (bass at 12:00, mids at 2:00, Presence off). It's worked out real well. Definitely a keeper.

4. Deaj

I'm looking at the Small Fry as a potential replacement for my OCD (500K and a cap change for more mids and smoother highs). The OCD has worked very well for me but interacts poorly with some other pedals - most notably the DLS EchoTAP that follows it. While I didn't have the opportunity to A/B the Small Fry with my OCD the SF seemed very similar and more flexible. I mostly dig Dumble type OD and responsiveness and use OD pedals that provide some tonal variety with the above characteristics. The Small Fry would be used for more aggressive medium OD sounds and occasionally as a low gain OD for blues (this is how I currently use the OCD.

5. Deaj

Bump

Anyone else?

6. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I have been using one for a few months. Current favorite OD pedal through my super reverb, even more than the zendrive. I find it really smooth with a tight low end with alot of tweakability. It is a lot tighter sounding pedal to me than the zen.

7. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

I'm playing a Burn Unit...they're the same (as far as sound), correct?

I love the BU. The dynamics knob lets you dial in the character you want (more "distortiony" or more "over-drivy" for lack of better terms).

8. jgyn

jgyn Member

How is the Small Fry compared to the Direct Drive? Which's better on Marshall amps? Is it worth having both?

9. Deaj

Thanks for the feedback all!

10. VanStone

VanStone Member

I tried a DD last Fall and didn't care for it. I found it too dead through the mids even through a Marshally amp. The Small Fry, on the other hand, is very pleasing to my ear, both with my Marshally rig and with my Fendery rig. It's very tweakable - I can't imagine you not being able to dial it in for almost any amp. I highly recommend the Small Fry. :AOK

V

11. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Does the DD have more gain than the SF? Seems most of the reviews I've read imply that the SF is more of a low to low-medium gain OD.

12. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Man, I haven't been that happy with my direct drive. You guys think the small fry is the answer. I am Like I can some good tones from my DD but it has this mid range that I am not too crazy about and I can tweak it anymore than I already have. SO is the small fry my answer to my prayers????

*mainly looking for a high gain sound in the vain of plexi British type sound.

13. Deaj

The Small Fry isn't really a high gain pedal. There are some aspects of the Small Fry's responsiveness that reminded me of early Marshall amps but it's more of a medium gain OD for my ears.

14. Gil1

Gil1 Member

I love, love love the Small Fry.

Sounds great, versitile, affordable, built like a dream.

Bounced my OCD.

15. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

I'm getting along great with my Small Fry. Super versatile pedal.

As for comparisons with a "stock" DD, it has a bit less gain, but a lot more control over midrange - as well as lows and highs. I would have to agree it's more of a medium gain type of pedal. I prefer it over a regular DD.

However, a DD with mod board is quite a different animal, much better than a stock DD.

Anyhoo, you can't go wrong with the Small Fry.

16. Deaj

Wow - lots of positive press here for the Small Fry! It's nice to here that folks are getting along with it after some time. After demo'ing the SF it struck me as a pedal that would have some staying power. My modded OCD is my favorite OD pedal (has been for a while now) but the SF, upon first meeting, seems to cover the same sonic territory with wider flexibility. I'll be A/B'ing them this week. Should be interesting.

17. ROKY

ROKY Member

I've heard pretty much unanimously positive things about the Small Fry.

So, it's basically, a medium gain OD.

How does it respond when hit/goosed/smacked with another OD/Boost ?