Who's using a cheap pedal tuner and liking it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slayerbear17, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Member

Pitch black mini here, too. Dunno where that falls in the "cheap" range, solid tuner if you ask me.

I have this thing where you all have me wanting a Turbo Tuner, but I know that's just TGP gas and the PB mini is good enough.

Stop giving me gas.

2. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I picked up a Korg Pitchblack Mini for about $50. Mainly because it can be battery operated, first in line, and not occupy a power slot on my small board.

Pros:
    Great size
    Construction is good enough
    Strobe function works well
    Battery operation is nice, but uses two 2032s. School still out on how long they'll last, but it's unplugged when not at the gig/rehearsal. This is the reason it's replacing a Polytune Noir for the moment.

Cons:
    Impossible to read in sunlight, and difficult in very bright stage lighting.
    The switch is very sensitive and can easily be turned on accidentally. Needs to be positioned away from other switches if you have big feet!

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I have a Planet-Waves Tru-Strobe from way back when that is great and super accurate. Also have a 1st edition strobostomp.

For intonating your guitar, a super accurate (+/- .01 cents or less) tuner is mandatory. Once your guitar is in tune, anything within +/- 1 cent will work great.

I used to use a Boss TU-2 and hated it. Anything that required me to tune by ear after it said it was in tune is a no-go. The Boss TU-3 should work fine.

Actually, get this (Monoprice Chromatic Pedal Tuner). These guys make high quality electronics for dirt cheap. They're like China, except they're in America. Accurate within +/-1 cent. If I was in the market for a new tuner for live shows, I'd get this in a heartbeat (I have bought many of their other products).
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611220
    [​IMG]

4. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I bought a used Polytune for $60 seven or eight years ago.

That's less than $10/year or 80 cents a month.

:dunno

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  5. ckyrost

ckyrost Member

A lot of people here have a tuner on their pedalboards. Is there any advantage to using a tuner pedal rather than a clip on tuner?

Wondering if I need a pedal tuner....:huh

6. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

The $20 donner is terrible. I have a pitch black that I love. I think I’ve change the battery once in five years.
    For cheap I would go with the clip on like the Ibanez

7. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

I know some peeps with using the KLIQ Tiny Tune. Surprisingly good for little money.

I'm currently using a Korg Pitchclip. I think it was $7.00 when I bought it - and it works great too!

Sooner or later I will probably get a Korg Pitchblack Mini. Or a mini Turbo Tuner. But, I've had great luck with Korg tuners since I started playing in the late 80s.

8. woof*

woof* Member

Me too, several yrs with the pitchblack ...I replaced it with the pitchblack mini..two months gigging and I love it.

9. Gaheba

Gaheba Member

I used a Korg handheld for years, or a tuning fork!
    Then got a TU-2 which served me well for maybe 15 years before dying on a couple off years ago. The TU-2 wasn’t always accurate, the older the strings got the worse the accuracy. I used to just tune the A string then tune the rest by ear .
    Since it died I have acquired three TU-3’s and a GoGo.
    The TU-3 is a big improvement over its predecessor for accuracy.

I tried a Snark but chucked it out because of the ridiculous rate at which I was getting thru batteries, coz I kept forgetting to turn the thing off.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  10. J-PPP

J-PPP Member

Yeah the PB Mini is great. But I like the original Pitchblack too. I still have 2 of them. It's definitely better (faster) than the TU-2. I have a Turbo Tuner Mini too but if I needed more minis I would go with the Korg. You can get 2-for-1 plus lunch for the price of a Turbo.

11. one4five

one4five Member

If you mean the one with the big, round, orange display (that I think is discontinued now), I have one. It's an awesome tuner, but the caveat is it's heavy as hell. I mean, really heavy, like think about how much half a brick would weigh (not kidding). The Tru Strobe might even weigh more, lol. If you're just using it at home or in a studio it's nice, but if it's for gigging or anywhere you'd have to lug it, I would definitely pass.

I got a "guitarX" mini pedal tuner on amazon for $20 that is light, accurate, and awesome, but I think it's $30 now. I'd probably get a Donner now, or something else in the $20 range. I mean, it's just a tuner, lol.

Moe45673 likes this.
  12. Madsen

Madsen Member

Wasn't there a huge 80's tuner pedal? Are those cheap?

13. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

out of curiosity, how come?

14. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I find that the TU-3 takes too long with its zooming LED lights and doesn’t always get things all the way in tune. I have had 2 Turbo Tuners and I guess I just don’t “relate”(?) to them. I know folks love them, but I just don’t.

I prefer the app on my phone. It zeros in quickly on the correct pitch and is visually more stable to my eyes. The problem with using my phone at a gig is that if I plug it in on my pedalboard, I get a Hendrix/Spinal Tap random beeping/whistling every few minutes. I assume the phone is pushing or receiving info or something, but it sounds terrible. If I just leave the phone out, it cannot pick up my guitar signal if other guys in the band are playing.