Who's using a Fuzz Face for heavy music?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bobcunningham, Mar 11, 2015.

1. bobcunningham

bobcunningham Member

I'm currently using an EQD Dream Crusher for down-tuned heavy riffing and dissonant chords in my stoner metal band. No palm muting, though. The majority of Fuzz Face users here on TGP seem to be using it for lead playing or classic rock tones. So back to the question; anyone here using their FF for heavy music?

2. Parazyd

Parazyd Member

I do. I also stack it into a Big Muff ;)
    I play stoner, doom and similar.

3. The Dust

The Dust Member

I tried hard to fit the Fuzz Face into my music but I was never happy with it. I guess I coudn't find a way to make it sound more "heavy" and less vintage, if you know what I mean. Also, I found the lack of sustain a big problem with leads but rhythm sounded ok.

I'm running a kinda small board with 5 pedals and don't experiment much but I aways try to put the Fuzz Face back on it. Different guitars and amps, still no good to my ears - for heavy music at least.

After I bought a Zvex Mastotron, all my other fuzzes seens to be lacking something in the "heavy" side. Every time I take it off my board, I miss that massive low end... It's addictive.

4. Dubious

Dubious Member

i play stoner / pscyh doomy stuff...

I alternate between a FF and an tonebender - both of which aren't really typical "heavy pedals"

My FF is an MXR classic 108 - fuzz face in a regular enclosure with a switchable buffer.

I typically run clean amps - accoustic 134 / jc120.

I dig the fuzz face fer wooly goodness. If i want TITE i switc hto my Distortion +, if i want crunch i use an xotix SL.

I use a Mastotron as well - having the FF allows me to use the mastotron on a more velcro settin and use the FF for sustainy / violin fuzz.

5. AMPEGJOSH

AMPEGJOSH Member

I use a black cat fuzz-od. Its got a hybrid si/ge fuzz face on one side and the od-1 fuzz on the other. You can run them separately or together. I run it into a vintage rat set to low gain and into an ampeg vt-22.

6. Monts

Monts Member

I never liked the sound of fuzz face or muffs for palm muting, on the other hand, I love them for other applications in heavy music. Basically, in my heavy band, I keep fuzz on my board. I use them selectively, because all of our songs have palm mutes, and they sound much more crushing with OD.

7. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

The pedal I step on the most is one that I built using the general FF topology, but with some different values. It works great with my setup for palm muted stuff.

8. Dubious

Dubious Member

i palm mute all the time... personally i like the FF for its more FULL frequency attack versus a muff (which ive never bonded with)

9. Monts

Monts Member

Yeah it could just be the way I have them set up. I should try some other settings, but I've always been happy with the OD sound for palm mutes, so I've never really explored.

10. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

Mine is not so full frequency and rolls off some low end, the way I have it set up.

11. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I use the SUF Hellephant for nastier distortion sounds. It's a Fuzz Face built by a guy who's known more for his Big Muff repros. The Hellephant works great stacked with either a WHE Green Rhino or a TC Spark Boost.