• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Who's using a Katana for acoustic?

BEACHBUM

I wasn't even thinking of using it for that when I bought it but it's sounding pretty good to me.

lamenlovinit

I've done it. A friend called it sterile. I disagree. Not the equal of a great PA type, but considering it's "free" with the purchase of a great and reasonably priced Electric Guitar amp, it's pretty great!

BEACHBUM

I've done it. A friend called it sterile. I disagree. Not the equal of a great PA type, but considering it's "free" with the purchase of a great and reasonably priced Electric Guitar amp, it's pretty great!
Are you using downloaded presets or dialing in your own sound?

lamenlovinit

Are you using downloaded presets or dialing in your own sound?
I'm an "non-philosophical" ludite. I don't hate technology, I just never seem to be able to get up the energy to maximize its potential. Going back to line 6 stuff through all the current technology, downloading presets or even something as simple as the line six "sound like" suggestions just isn't something I do.

I tend to not like reverb or delay. I'll do a light touch of chorus from an old school two knob pedal because it's less ubiquitous. By itself it's not a stale overused sound and the lack of "tone shaping" ability keeps me out of the weeds.

mccreadyisgod

It probably helps that you're using a magnetic pickup, might be less so with piezo. I'd be curious what pickups work better with the Katana.

BEACHBUM

It probably helps that you're using a magnetic pickup, might be less so with piezo. I'd be curious what pickups work better with the Katana.
I've got a Guild with a Fishman Sonitone piezo and an 80's Japanese Sigma with a Fishman Rare Earth sound hole pick up. I must admit that I much prefer the Rare Earth. On the other hand I've had some success with the Katana software in dialing out the typical piezo quack. It's still there but a lot less prominent.

Stevo57

Gold Supporting Member
Don't have a Katana but love my acoustic through the Kemper. A friend has used his Katana on gigs and reports good results.

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
I tried using a Katana as a monitor for an acoustic with an ust pickup on stage. It was awful.

lp_bruce

I've used it at a gig for acoustic once. It wasn't that bad, but it's not nearly as just going direct to the PA or through my Roland AC-60. I would use it again if I needed to for some reason, but I have better options.

Understanding that's my preference and you should use what you want to use. I know guys who play acoustics through electric amps and love it--though I really don't.

Trending Topics