Who's using a keytar?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by rsm, Aug 8, 2017.

1. rsm

rsm Member

fixed it for ya ;)

My younger millennial friends think it's cool for the most part; they don't have the associated baggage of older generations. It's a mobile keyboard, if someone plays it well and isn't prancing around like a lead guitarist or diva dude singer...
    I think may guitarists have an ego issue, usually the keyboardist if good, is the most musically competent, trained and capable musician in the band, who can actually sight read LOL.

I still recall many bands never acknowledging the keyboardist as a member, they weren't even allowed on stage to perform, pretty lame but in metal and other genres image is important, so keep discriminating against keyboardists.

with electronic music, keyboardists have a home where in many cases guitarists are not found. I have 2 electronic rigs, one I use for '80s new wave / post punk / synth pop where guitar is additive since it fits the music, I could easily replace the guitar with synths or a module that can do guitar sounds, even using my keytar ;) My other rig is modern electronic / dance, no guitar required or present.

There are plenty of genres that aren't guitar focused, keyboards are the most versatile modern instruments around, a keytar is just a mobile keyboard - a keytar + Roland Integra would be powerful combination IMO.

YMMV
    @Astronaut FX thanks, I agree and right back at ya! :beer

2. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Joking around is what makes it fun here. :aok

Have fun with the keytar.

Hey waaaaaaiitttt a minute maybe I should make Hulktaur a Keytaur. Yeeaaaahhhhhh :)

rsm likes this.
  3. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You need to recalibrate your Cool-O-Meter dude!

4. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Just stumbled across this vid. Rick Wakeman wearing The Cape and a keytar transcends mere earthly standards of cool.

[​IMG]

rsm and realmacaroni like this.
  5. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

LOL - I rest my case! I love Rick Wakeman, but unless he's wearing that cape ironically (which he very well may be - he seems like a real character with a great sense of humor) . . .

6. rsm

rsm Member

[​IMG]

you might be able to see it's a Moog:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  7. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Henrik Klingenberg (Sonata Arctica) generally manages to pull off the keytar look. Not seen many others make it look good though.

8. rsm

rsm Member

girls with keytars are hot IMO, it's as if the keytar disappears ;)

:love:

if only they felt the same way when I play my keytar :p

9. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Can't have a keytar thread without mention of the unstoppable juggernaut that is Frankenstein. I admire/respect the usual heroes (Jan Hammer, Corea, Wakeman, etc.) but this will always be the most badass keytar showcase - just so raw and rockin' hard, and even some ARP 2600 modular madness towards the end.

Just had a sick thought - wouldn't it be funny if he played the "Careless Whisper" sax lick, while wearing a cape for good measure (some live versions show him wearing a cape).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    friend33, Not Orange and rsm like this.
  10. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

I used to play keys in zydeco/reggae group. On some gigs, before the second or third set the drummer and I would do a electro/funk improv that would occasionally feature me grabbing my top synth off the stand (Korg DS-8 FM synth) and doing some stage antics. There was much gyrations and jumping...and falling. No strap on the synth, so it would be a challenge holding it at times, but it was definitely a visual thing a that point more than a musical performance. It was fun and the drunks got a kick out of it.

rsm likes this.
  11. p.j.

p.j. Member

[​IMG]Herbie's using a KEYTAR!! Go Herbie, go Herbie!!

friend33, Not Orange and rsm like this.
  12. rsm

rsm Member

I have a Keytar, and a Korg Miku Stomp...the combination is interesting. I'd rather get the vocaloid software, and use my keytar as the controller

Unfortunately, not many new keytars available, most are discontinued; my Alesis Vortex is backordered everywhere, and you can only get them new on ebay from Japan, and more than 2x what I paid.

13. rsm

rsm Member

just was reminded of this thread. Still have my keytar, MuseBox and since this thread started got a Roland Integra-7, and U-HE Hive - which all work great with my keytar. ;)

14. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Wireless vortex and an old rk100 with 40 something fullsized keys. I havent used them in awhile though. Im looking for someone who can add velocity to the rk100.

15. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Saw that tour back in the day. Edgar was HUGE at that time, and quite the showman, as you can see. Johnny was the warmup act, so full-tilt kicka$$ from start to finish.

Viva la keytar! :cool:

GovernorSilver likes this.