Who's using an Axess GRX4 or MFC5?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JKoeth, Jun 20, 2006.

1. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I'm thinking of adding these to my setup.

How do you like them?

How's the buffer?

2. wleeds

wleeds Member

I've been using the GRX4 and MFC5 for about 2 years now.
    Excellent silent switching and programmable on the fly. The buffer is fantastic
    however I don't realize its full potential because I run an EMG JG-2(custom unity/gain buffer) right out of my guitar. My signal goes, guitar->UGB->wah->Direct Drive->GRX4->amp.
    I will probably be adding another GRX4 shortly to allow for growth.
    mark

3. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I use the MFC5 for switching a Multivalve fx unit's presets, works great, small footprint, the switch programming logic is excellent, my pedal power II powers it, its THE choice if you don't want/need a continuous controller pedal.

gb

4. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

I was moments away from ordering one of their 4 channel swithers a couple years ago (gxr4?) but my band broke up, and i didnt really see the need for it since i wasnt gigging. I have heard nothing but good things about axess though, which is more than i can say for other companies in the same market with much more expensive products.

5. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

I have nothing bad to say about these two products. I use them to switch pedals, switch my amp channel, mute/unmute a piezo signal, and change midi program on rack effects:

Here they are in my pedalboard (excuse the mess. . . it's in a transitional phase):

[​IMG]

6. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I was thinking about getting this controller instead.

[​IMG]

I figured, more presets were a good thing. Any thoughts?

7. Neon

Neon Member

I use two GRX4 units in my guitar effects rack, and use them to switch stomp boxes and to route the guitar between two amp inputs, etc. I'm really satisfied with the GRX4.

The GRX4 can switch each of it's four loops with MIDI control change messages or MIDI program changes. You can't use these two modes at the same time. I'm using a Ground Control Pro for the MIDI control, and the GRX4 works well with it.

I haven't tried the buffer since my effects rack sits close to the amp.

Hope this helps.

8. svanangen

svanangen Member

I don't think this one does CC-messages so then you're stuck with a very simple and limited controller.

9. pala

pala Member

Axess is a great, Mario Marino is a great guy to deal with, GRX4 is a great 4 loop switcher, loops 1/2/3 have an independent signal path than the isolated loop 4, however you can still connect loop 4 at the end or in front ot loops 1/2/3 or use loop 4 to switch things like a regular footswitch, or you can use loops 1/2/3 for pedals in front the amp and loop 4 for a pedal or a piece of rack gear on the loop without noise problems, all this makes it very versatile little thing, if you need more loops, get a second one...
    Can´t comment on the buffer since i use rack gear so the buffer stays off, but i got one with BS2 buffer circuit, one of the best sounding buffers available.

You can tell Mario to be mod it to get phantom power to your pedalboard on the same midi cable...

Watch out with that midi moose, maybe it can´t handle CC´s, and those are were the fun is...

Pala

10. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Thanks guys for your feedback.

I was thinking of the Moose because it had more preset switches and was small depth wise. I am planning on using 2 GRX4's for turning on/off different pre-programmed combinations of loops with regular guitar pedals in them.

If this is my application, is there any advantage to having a controller with CC messages?

11. pala

pala Member

CC´s will let you handle your pedals in loops as individual stomp boxes, you can turn them on/off as you like.

Programs, will let you program a preset with any combination of on/off pedals, let´s say program 1 has your delay, comp and chorus, and program 2 has your OD and delay, but will will not be able to turn off any of them instantly, or if you like to add chorus to your program 2, it´s not possible to do it instantly, you will need to program a separete program 3 with the OD, Delay and chorus...

Pala

12. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Will CC's also be able to do programmed combinations of pedals too? Ideally, I'd like to be able to do both: 1 switch combinations and 1 switch single loops.

I'm not sure what I need yet. The MFC5 looks great but doesn't have many preset switches. I can't get something huge either. Hmmmm.

13. Neon

Neon Member

The CCs and programs are separate modes. I believe, the GRX4 doesn't allow the CC and program modes to be operated simultaneously. If you have two GRX4s you could setup in each mode.

But, the higher-end MIDI foot controllers can store the state of CCs as part of a named setup in the foot controller. If you call a setup in the foot controller, it can send the preset CC's (i.e. sort of like a program change), and then you can modify a GRX4 loop by tapping a switch(which sends CCs). I probably didn't explain this too well!

The foot controller itself is part of the equation, and adds flexibility (and confusion) to the setup. There are a variety of full-featured foot controllers. Such as: Axess, DMC Ground Control, Rocktron, etc.

14. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

It sounds like I should go with the MFC5 from Axess. I'm not sure when they'll be in productin again though. It can send 8 CC's at the same time.

I'm still a little confused between CC's and Program changes though. I've read some basic midi stuff online but alot of it is geared towards keyboard players.

How do you guys have your MFC5's set up with the GRX4. Are you all using CC's?

15. pala

pala Member

No, you cannot combine CC with program changes, but with the right foot controller, you will be able to have your presets buttons and your instant buttons to on/off single pedals.

For example i use a RSB12 foot controller to control a GRX4 and a CFX4 and my rack units.

The RSB12 have 5 presets and a lot of Instant access buttons, so i set up things this way.

*Instant access buttons row
    Button 1 is my instant access to preamp ch.1 on CFX4#1
    Button 2 is my instant access to preamp ch.2 on CFX4#2
    Button 3 is my instant access to preamp ch.3 on CFX4#3
    Button 4 is my instant access to the comp on GRX4 loop 4
    Button 5 is my instant access to the Delay on GRX4 loop 1
    Button 6 is my instant access to the Pitch on GRX4 loop 2

*Preset buttons row
    Button 1 is my programed CLEAN
    Button 2 is my programed Dry Crunch
    Button 3 is my programed Wet Crunch
    Button 4 is my programed Dry Lead
    Button 5 is my programed Wet Lead

What do i mean with "programmed", that is a mixture of instant access switches saved as a preset, Wet Lead for example. is a preset program were i have set to have my preamp ch.3 instant button on+Delay unit instant button on+Pitch unit instant button on, delay is in loop 1 and Pitch in loop 2 of my GRX4, preamp ch.3 is in function 3 of my CFX4 (i have GRX4 and CFX4 set up to recive CC´s)

When i hit Preset 5 i get my Wet Lead instantly that means that preamp ch.3 is selected, and delay and pitch loops are on, all this hitting one button, while being in Preset 5, i decide that i don´t want delay for a sec, i hit my delay instant access button and delay goes off...

The MFC5 will let you use CC, andyou will be able to create presets, but the MFC5 don´t have instant buttons, so you can not assign single on/off.

Pala

16. pala

pala Member

When deciding what footcontroller to get, you need to get something that could meet your needs.

for example, if you need to have 8 instant access to 8 stomp boxes, and you also need to have 4 preset buttons, you will need a footcontroller that has at least 8 instant buttons and at least 4 preset buttons.

A very simple FC that can handle CC´s is the Rocktron midi mate, there you can have 5 instant access buttons plus 5 preset buttons, you also have the bigger boards like: Bradshaw RSB12, RSB18, RS10, RS10mkII, Rocktron All Access, Axess FX1, Skrydstrup SC1.

I think an RS10mkII will be a good bet, lot´s of instant access buttons at the lowest price of the listed ones.

Pala

17. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Thanks guys,

You have been amazingly helpful. I'll need something with a small footprint because I am planning on having all of my pedals in front of me for easy settings changes. Here's a pic of my current board. I'll be adding about 4 more pedals too.

I like using the 5 Loooper but I want all of the cabling to go underneath and like the idea of programability. My ideas are slowly coming together.

[​IMG]

18. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I couldn't find the Bradshaw Foot Controllers. Anyone have a link?

19. pala

pala Member

20. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Pala,

Thanks, Man. You've been extremely helpful to a Midi newbie. I'm not new to great gear, just midi!

So, you have your GRX4 set up to receive Control Changes. I read that it can receive either Control Changes or Program Changes and not both silmultanesously. I'm planning on having two GRX4's eventually.

The Midi Mate looks great. It's very affordable and does many things that I'm looking for. The information I've read on it says that it can send 5 silmultaneous CC's per preset. Does this mean that I can only turn on/off 5 loops at a time?

If for example, I wanted...

Loop1=Boost Pedal
    Loop2=Dist Pedal
    Loop3=OD Pedal
    Loop4=EQ Pedal
    Loop5=Phaser Pedal
    Loop6=Delay Pedal
    Loop7=Jamman Looper

...all on at once. Would that be possible with 2 GRX4's and the Midi Mate?

Also, if I setup #1 GRX4 for receiving CC messages and #2 GRX4 for receiving program changes, would this benefit me?