Who's using Dimarzio Single Coils?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jamison162, Jan 29, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Tell em which ones and why you like them. They don't get any r.e.s.p.e.c.t but all the clips I've checked out just sound awesome!

2. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

I just purchased a Virtual Vintage Solo pro. I got it to replace the duncan hot rails in my bridge spot, but did not like it at all. I tried it in the neck spot and love it.

I am thinking of getting another one for the middle, but haven't ruled out one of their other hum canceling sc's.

3. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I love many boutique pickups like Lollar, Fralin, Harmonic Design, etc.

With that said, the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Hot T is an incredible tele bridge pickups. And it is noiseless!

I also have a noiseless Dimarzio intrhe neck of my Suhr Classic. I don't know the model #, bit it is perfect and dead quiet.

I'm very impressed with their recent stuff.

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

Lovin' the Areas in my Grosh RC. Sound fantastic and are super quiet.

5. jamison162

jamison162 Member

How do the Area's being Alnico 2, compare to Lollar's Blondes, or Fralins Real 54's?

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

I used to have a 70s Strat with 3 SD-1 in it that just screamed. When I heard an old tape of it, I wished I hadn't sold it. So I started looking for 3 70s vintage Dimarzio SD-1s. So far, I have 2, and only one installed. The other 2 installed right now are Dimarzio HS-1, also from the 70s. They all sound great to me, but I do look forward to finding another matching 70s SD-1 to complete the set.

7. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

I've been using the VV for years. I used them on my Strat for the Guytron clips I did a number of years ago. If you go to my MySpace http://www.myspace.com/chrisdelis the track "Chris' Bluez" was one of the clips I did that everyone seems to like the tone. It's the VirtuAl 2's in the neck and middle position and the Virtual Solo in the bridge. There are more clips on the Guytron site or mine. I also have the Areas in a guitar but I haven't had much time to use them as that guitar is in the shop. They are probably the most vintage sounding . They are great pickups and I use both true single coils and the VV.

8. jiml

jiml Silver Supporting Member

Great clips! I'm building a strat now and have 3 Dimarzio VV's waiting to go in there!

9. mprvise

mprvise Member

VV's in my Grosh BTC (neck and middle). I do like them - a bit different from "real" single coils, but no hum. I bring that guitar to gigs where I think excessive hum might be a problem, or where I've experienced it before.

10. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i have area 58/61 setups in my grosh RC and my 64' strat (no pu'ps when i got it)

both guitar sound killer and i have no complaints (nor do i ever recieve any) about the tone. in fact, the old 64' sounds unbelieveable with the areas.

11. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Sorry boys, but the VV pickups, while excellant, aren't single coils!

I just put to gether a partscaster with a Blue Velvet neck and FS-1 bridge. Slick!

12. jamison162

jamison162 Member

So what you guys are saying is that the can hang with the best...Suhr, Lollar, Fralin. And I'm sure some of you have been through all the offerings and still find the Dimarzio's work best for you....??

13. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I use the area 61 and 58 in the neck and middle of my strat, with an air zone humbucker in the bridge.

I like dimarzios a lot. The Areas have a very clean, punchy tone. Traditional sounding, but with some girth.

14. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I think my area 61,61,54 may have gotten lost in the F***ing mail! Hence my negative posts about the USPS "priority" service. Sweetpea, I PM'd ya -- let me know what's up? :(

15. Kappy

Kappy Member

Well I won't make a direct comparison from one to the other (to be honest I've tried many high quality pickups but I've never done any direct A/B'ing in the same guitar), but the ones I have in my Grosh are as good as any I've used. Have some Airbuckers in a 7-string Baker and those are pretty sweet too.

16. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

For straight-up single coils, I dig the Red Velvet paired with two of the Blue Velvets - sweet.

I really like the VV series and feel the Pro Track is a killer PAF-sounding pickkup - love it in the neck pos of a Tele.

I've used DiMarzio longer and more models than pickups by any other maker - 25 yrs and counting.

17. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

In a way I think it's pointless to really try to compare the DiMarzio's to the Fralins, Lollars etc. Even standard single coils will not sound the same unless they are made by the same manufacturer. Steve Blucher told me when I got the Area's that if he used that process on a given wind it would nail it. You really have to take in account the magnets, wire, scatter wound vs a standard wound etc.

I just know they sound good and are very quiet. You would really have to compare the same type of pickup in the same guitar and the pickups would have to be made to sound the same with either process. I don't think the VV's are trying to replicate what a Fralin sounds like anymore than the Fralin Blues model is trying to sound like Texas specials. It really all comes down to personal preference and everyones hearing. I've used Fralin's and guitars with the DiMarzios and they all sound great. I guess if you really want to go crazy most of us have several guitars so just set up one guitar with single coils and one with the VV's for different playing situations. For many gigs I just use a Tele style guitar with standard single coils and I'm still able to use the high gain channel of my amp. It depends on the situation.

18. c_mac

c_mac Supporting Member

I use whatever comes stock in EBMM Silhouette Specials. Great sounding pickups but I may add a base plate to the bottom of the bridge pickup and see what happens.

Does anyone know what the stock Dimarzios are in the Silhouette Specials?

19. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I can only answer this by saying Dimarzio makes first-rate pickups with great sound and feel. Due to some of the places we play on a regular basis, noiseless is important to me. I have a couple of custom Suhrs, each with a single-coil in it. The other pickups are Suhrs---the Dimarzios work perfectly in those instruments.

20. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I've tried the Blue Velvet and Red Velvet Combo, and thought it sounded like garbage. Blue velvets had zero sparkle, and the red velvet was thin and plinky.

For "non botique" single coils, I think Duncan nailed it with the Vintage Stagger Single coils, for my $.

I would be curious to try a Class of 55/ SDS1 loaded strat.