Who's using the Barber Custom Cool and Why?

blueman61

Looking for info, impressions and opinions here folks. I'm very interested in this pedal, but won't have the opportunity to try one before buying. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Things like what do you use it for, does it stack well, how happy with it are you, do you dislike anything about it and anything else you can think of. Fire away. Thanks.

bduguay

I have no experience with that pedal. In fact, I had no experience with any Barber pedal until just the other night and was hoping for a Barber thread to pop up so I could chime in.
I played through the tone press and direct drive and was VERY impressed for all sorts of reasons. So, if the Custom Cool is anywhere near as good as the 2 I tried, it must be good.
B.

blueman61

I've actually got five Barber stomp boxes including the Direct Drive, Direct Drive Super Sport, the LTD SR, the Dirty Bomb and the Tone Press. They are all outstanding. Can't say enough good stuff about them or the company. Very fair pricing as well.

^^ I agree
Ive bought ALL my barbers BEFORE trying them and have yet to be disappointed
ltd sr
direct drive
small fry
tone pump
half gainer
tone press
trifecta
launch pad
dirty bomb

JimmyR

I've tried the Direct Drive and the B Cool - both times extremely disappointed. They get a great rap here but I just found them to sound like bland Tubescreamers. It's weird because David Barber seems like a really great guy, the pedals are well built and have loads of options. Do you think I can get a good tone out of them?? I like the very low end of the dirt spectrum so they should be perfect for me.

Oh well, I am sure I'm in the minority. The only way to know for sure is to try them for yourself. You'll probably love them!

plan-x

I own one. It's situated as my main low gainer. It's an advanced LTDsr with more EQ and tone shaping options. Many have compared the LTDsr to the Timmy saying they sound very similar with some preferring the Barber for its smoothness. I have owned the sr also and had it modded. That is a great pedal! But the Custom cool has more EQ tone shaping options on top of the pedal ready for an instant tweak. I noticed a couple of them in the emporium and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them at that price. The Custom cool is well worth $200 IMHO. It's an extremely transparent, natural sounding pedal. It has internal trim pots as well. One can dial this pedal in to match your amp, or scoop the mids, or put a mid hump in, a thundering bass, or a lo-fi feel, the EQ possibilities are endless. OK, now for the only down side...it has a fizzy trail. Even my fetto has one also. So does the Keeley BD2, which I used to have also. Trails can only be heard in the bedroom and won't be an issue live. So take the plunge. This pedal is highly overlooked around here.

Sikor

I have B-Cool and IMO it doesn't sound like a TS, but whatever ;)

I like it a lot. It's a great, versatile low-gain pedal.
I use it similarly to Tim/Timmy:
as a basic break-up tone instead of pure clean from an amp.

Trending Topics